Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few quick questions on the Nest thermostat

• 22-01-2015 9:28pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I live in a fairly modern apartment building, gas boiler for heating and water. Very interested to get a Nest thermostat. Thing is, I rent and cant guarantee I'll be here forever. Can I get the Nest install alongside the current one, and if I ever leave can I reconnect the old one and take the Nest with me? I read somewhere it does not even have to be stuck on a call you can move it about, is that true?

Does it really save you money? I kinda find that hard to believe. I just want the ability to turn on the water or heating if I need it, or if I'm not going to be home to turn it off. I'm told it can do the latter automatically - but how does it know if you are not home?

Where is the cheapest place to buy it? I'm with electric Ireland and I know they give discounts but you get tied into a contract and again I'm not really sure I want to do that.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

€220 for the unit, approx €100 for installation and if you want plug it in and have it sitting on a bookshelf or counter the stand for that is €35.
    You can install the control unit beside your current timeclock and remove it when you vacate your apartment. The Nest isn't ideal for controlling hot water though as it's designed to learn your routine and what temperatures you like at different times of the day so if it is a bright sunny morning and your apartment is already at a good temperature it won't turn the boiler on.
    There is a sensor on the front of the thermostat that detects motion so it knows if you are at home or away

Advertisement