Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre Rollout question

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi

From looking at the current rollout map, http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map  I see that half the Fanad peninsula in Donegal is not going to get eFibre. Is this correct? If you don't know where the Fanad peninsula is, check the map above and look at Donegal and look for the sections not being upgraded. The area I'm talking about is not an island (Arranmore) or a National Park. It's an area surrounded by proposed upgrades.

If it's a cost thing then why is Tory Island getting eFibre and we are not? Surely that is way more expensive. Where I live I cannot even get basic DSL from Eircom and have to still use NBS. 

Regards

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

FanadMan wrote: »
    Hi

From looking at the current rollout map, http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map  I see that half the Fanad peninsula in Donegal is not going to get eFibre. Is this correct? If you don't know where the Fanad peninsula is, check the map above and look at Donegal and look for the sections not being upgraded. The area I'm talking about is not an island (Arranmore) or a National Park. It's an area surrounded by proposed upgrades.

If it's a cost thing then why is Tory Island getting eFibre and we are not? Surely that is way more expensive. Where I live I cannot even get basic DSL from Eircom and have to still use NBS. 

Regards

John

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi FanadMan

I am very sorry to confirm that there are no existing plans to bring efibre to the Fanad area.

I will be unable to offer you the reasoning for eircoms infrastructural or network decisions to support why efibre is available in other areas as opposed to your area but I would like to assure you that I will provide your feedback surrounding this to operations.

Tory Island is not planned for an efibre upgraded. I see why anybody would think Tory Island is planned for efibre by looking at the map you have referenced however the map is indicative only and shaded areas show a general rather than specific area.

If you follow this link and click on "NGA fibre broadband network" it will offer you a closer look in to the existing efibre plans: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Al

So the map isn't accurate then? There might be hope for us yet lol. Maybe whoever did the map has shaded Tory instead of north Fanad :) Seriously though, the other page you pointed to is showing fibre running at least 5Km further north than the shading one does to Tamney where there is an exchange. 

So what Eircom are saying is - tough luck again.....no eFibre and no DSL. So much for a nationwide rollout :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Al

So the map isn't accurate then? There might be hope for us yet lol. Maybe whoever did the map has shaded Tory instead of north Fanad :) Seriously though, the other page you pointed to is showing fibre running at least 5Km further north than the shading one does to Tamney where there is an exchange. 

So what Eircom are saying is - tough luck again.....no eFibre and no DSL. So much for a nationwide rollout :(
    Hi FanadMan

Your views on this are understood and I'll pass your feedback to online operations.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Al

Hi FanadMan

Your views on this are understood and I'll pass your feedback to online operations.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi FanadMan,

I'm in a similar position cabinet is 1.2kms from my house - I'm in an area that's marked live yet none of my neighbours can get efibre. The whole area is marked live for the last 3 years. I even notice the new government website on 30mb bb shows that the area I'm in will have 85% coverage by the end of 2015. However I doubt if 15% will have 30mbs by end of 2015. So the whole thing about faster internet to those that are in rural areas seems like a bunch of lies at the minute(I don't even live in a particularly rural area - i'm about 3 miles out from limerick city centre).
    Looks like I'll be stuck on 2.5mb for the next few years - meanwhile the rest of the world moves on.

Advertisement