Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA and Canada in one journey

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I am looking to travel to USA and Canada this summer.

My plan is to fly into Orlando and travel my way up to Buffalo where I will visit the Falls and cross over into Toronto, then fly home from there.

Is it possible to visit both the states and Canada in one trip? I assume it is, but just wondering what I need to do visa wise or who I should speak to prior to booking any flights.

I will have my return flight booked prior to going, so hoping not to attract unwanted attention at preclearance.

Anything I need to be aware of?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give
    Bananaleaf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you are an Irish citizen, you do not need a visa to visit the US for a holiday. You do however, need to go to Depts of Homeland Securitys website and fill out your personal and travel details on an electronic form called an ESTA. It will be valid for two years.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/general/esta.html

Make sure you go to the official site below, as there are some scam sites out there that will charge you more than the standard fee of 14 euros.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Oh they are valid 2 years? Well then I have one of those in date as I was in Boston last June.

Do I need anything to cross into Canada or does the ESTA cover me for there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Oh they are valid 2 years? Well then I have one of those in date as I was in Boston last June.

Do I need anything to cross into Canada or does the ESTA cover me for there too?

Yes, your existing ESTA is still valid, provided you haven't renewed your passport in the meantime.

When you enter the US under the Visa Waiver Program, you will get a 90 day tourist permit. During those 90 days you are allowed to visit Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' (most of the Caribbean and the US Virgin Islands) and return to the US under the original travel permit.

Getting into Canada is a different matter though the official website says that you do not need a visa....

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp?country=Ireland

The ESTA is a US clearance, it has nothing to do with Canada.

Right, I see that, thanks.

So what do you suppose will happen if I turn up at the Canadian border at Niagara falls with my 90 day visa looking to pass into Canada?

Or who do I ask about that? The Irish embassy in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So what do you suppose will happen if I turn up at the Canadian border at Niagara falls with my 90 day visa looking to pass into Canada?

Why not just Google the Canadian embassy in Dublin? I'm sure they have information on what Irish citizens need to do to visit Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I've done something like this - trip to the US on VWP, stop off in Toronto before going back to Ireland.

I flew to Toronto, so the process could be different if you enter by land, but I just had to show my passport, give some details about the trip (where I was coming from and how long I would stay) and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

We got the bus from Buffalo to Toronto in 2005. At Fort Erie we disembarked the bus and went through Canadian customs. I only had my Irish passport (no visa) and they didn't say anything just stamped it.

Same on the way back, stop at Fort Erie except obviously American customs this time, they did ask a few questions but nothing major.

The 90 day permit is issued by the US authorities, it counts for nothing when visiting Canada - other than to show that you were legally in the US prior to travelling to Canada but it doesn't give you any extra rights in terms of entering Canada.

I posted a link above (Govt. of Canada - Immigration) which if you click on it explicitly states that citizens of Ireland do not need a visa to visit or transit Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I used to live in Canada and I have crossed the border between the US and Canada a good few times. All you need for the Canadians is your passport.

coylemj wrote: »
    The 90 day permit is issued by the US authorities, it counts for nothing when visiting Canada - other than to show that you were legally in the US prior to travelling to Canada but it doesn't give you any extra rights in terms of entering Canada.

I posted a link above (Govt. of Canada - Immigration) which if you click on it explicitly states that citizens of Ireland do not need a visa to visit or transit Canada.

I did click on your link, and thank you for posting it. The way in which I read your comment about it however, made me think that you were unsure whether or not the website was accurate.

Getting into Canada is another matter, though the embassy says you do not need a visa - I thought you meant that indeed getting into Canada is subject to some check/procedure but that the website seemed to contradict this.

Anyway, I read wrong. Have a habit of doing that actually, and over complicating things in the process

Thanks for the help
    Bananaleaf

• Advertisement

I did click on your link, and thank you for posting it. The way in which I read your comment about it however, made me think that you were unsure whether or not the website was accurate.

Getting into Canada is another matter, though the embassy says you do not need a visa - I thought you meant that indeed getting into Canada is subject to some check/procedure but that the website seemed to contradict this.

Apologies, I can see how you might have been mislead by my poor choice of phrase. What I meant and should have said is that getting into Canada is a separate matter i.e. not connected with the process of gaining entry to the US.

The term 'xxxx is a different matter' can sometimes imply a more arduous hurdle which is not what I meant.

No worries, thanks for the reply and your understanding.

Hi again

Plans have slightly changed and I will actually be doing a return flight to Toronto.

While I am there I will travel into the states however.

Will I need anything to do this? Just an ESTA?

Hi again

Plans have slightly changed and I will actually be doing a return flight to Toronto.

While I am there I will travel into the states however.

Will I need anything to do this? Just an ESTA?

Yes, you will need one of flying to the US from Canada.

Yes, you will need one of flying to the US from Canada.

I won't be flying to US from Canada.

I will cross the border when I visit Niagara Falls hopefully. So either via the falls themselves or else after my visit to them.

I have an ESTA which is currently in date from a previous flight from Dublin to Boston. Is that suitable to be used for my land crossing from Canada?

I won't be flying to US from Canada.

I will cross the border when I visit Niagara Falls hopefully. So either via the falls themselves or else after my visit to them.

I have an ESTA which is currently in date from a previous flight from Dublin to Boston. Is that suitable to be used for my land crossing from Canada?

You don't need an ESTA if crossing a land border into the US. You'll be fine.

Okay, that's great, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Was in Niagara falls last this time last year. Crossed into Canada with passport. No need for any other docs. Enjoy your hols:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 agraydon1990

Hello all!

I am glad to see there is a recently active thread on this matter.

I am travelling to Seattle for a wedding in early August.

We are planning to head across the Canadian border to Vancouver for the stag party.

I've already got a tourist visa for the US.

Will I have any issues crossing into Canada?

Will I have any issues getting back into the United States?

I know that there are a lot of different opinions here and I have looked at the various links posted.

Does anybody have any previous experience doing something similar?

Cheers,
    Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Hello all!

I am glad to see there is a recently active thread on this matter.

I am travelling to Seattle for a wedding in early August.

We are planning to head across the Canadian border to Vancouver for the stag party.

I know that there are a lot of different opinions here and I have looked at the various links posted.

Cheers,
    Andy

No issues whatsoever. Just remember to obey the laws in each country and you'll be fine. My sister lives in Vancouver and I have friends in Seattle - I cross quite often with no issues.

When you re-enter the states, they will see that you have already been admitted to the US so will ask some cursory questions. You won't be stamped back in as trips to canada count in your 90 days allowed in the US.

• Advertisement

Unless you've applied for permission to stay for more than 90 days, what you have is ESTA approval under the Visa Waiver Program. Do not mention the word 'visa' when talking to a border agent, it doesn't apply. A visa is required if you want to work, stay as a tourist for more than 90 days or have overstayed on a previous visit.

No. If you have an Irish passport, you do not need a visa to enter Canada.

No, when you originally enter the US, either via pre-clearance in Dublin or the first airport you land in, your passport will be stamped with a 90-day travel permit. That permit allows you to enter the US and the 90 days clock continues to run while you temporarily leave the US to visit Canada, Mexico or the 'adjacent islands' (essentially the Caribbean). When you arrive back at the US/Canadian border, the US border agent will see that you have an active 90 day US travel permit in your passport and will admit you to the US.

coylemj wrote:

No, when you originally enter the US, either via pre-clearance in Dublin or the first airport you land in, your passport will be stamped with a 90-day travel permit. That permit allows you to enter the US and the 90 days clock continues to run while you temporarily leave the US to visit Canada, Mexico or the 'adjacent islands' (essentially the Caribbean). When you arrive back at the US/Canadian border, the US border agent will see that you have an active 90 day US travel permit in your passport and will admit you to the US.

What about my situation (original poster - not hijacking the thread)

I'm flying INTO Canada. Grand, don't need to get ESTA for that. Don't have to do pre-clearance either I believe (AerLingus told me that)

But .... 5 days into the trip I'm heading to US to do some travelling. Will not be going via an airport, rather an overnight bus.

I have an ESTA and have it printed off. But I will arrive to the US without the little green ticket that they give you at pre-clearance.

Is this an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

What about my situation (original poster - not hijacking the thread)

I'm flying INTO Canada. Grand, don't need to get ESTA for that. Don't have to do pre-clearance either I believe (AerLingus told me that)

But .... 5 days into the trip I'm heading to US to do some travelling. Will not be going via an airport, rather an overnight bus.

I have an ESTA and have it printed off. But I will arrive to the US without the little green ticket that they give you at pre-clearance.

Is this an issue?

If you are traveling by bus, you don't need ESTA - you will still get a slip stapled into your passport at the border. You will do the border formality during the bus ride.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1258/~/esta---traveling-to-u.s.-by-land

Thanks for reply. Esta still in date from last yr so have it anyway but good to know in future that it's not needed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The line at the border can be hellish. If you're going at a popular time then leave many hours.

I've sat there for three hours and more. Its usually a longer line coming back into the US so be ready for that too, if you're heading back to Seattle for a flight.

Here's the traffic cameras for the Washington State side.

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/border/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 agraydon1990

thanks all!

Advertisement