Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12v DC question.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Bruthal wrote: »
    Everything we do daily is a recipe for possible disaster. Unless you hide in a padded bunker 365 a year.

Hiding in a padded bunker can be also a disaster, what is your point here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Clearly, trying to heat the cabin is the least efficient method. It's thermally very lossy and you'll loose any built-up heat when the car's fan-blower comes on (as it won't be pre-warmed).
    Considering the options presented, I'd consider the screen cover the most efficicent and possibly effective method, seconded by the block heater if you really want to expend energy on this. If the block is warmed the car will be more efficient from start-up and you'll have a supply of warm air from the blower to clear the window quickly. Hence you're getting dual usage for your input of energy.
    Plus, the block heater appears to be mains powered so you won't run as many risks with the charger circuit failing and the battery being flattened. Then fit an IP65 commando socket and a safety device (to prevent drive-off's with the plug engaged) and you have a better setup (IMHO).

Grounding then is going to be the next concern, but I'm sure that you would get tips on that from the many RV forums!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its likely just starting the car is more efficient than electrically powering a block heater. Takes little time to defrost a window with a started car.

How efficient is the production of the electricity used for heaters?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Hiding in a padded bunker can be also a disaster, what is your point here?

I am going to hazard a guess that Bruthal's point is that nothing in this world is without some degree risk (no matter how small). So if you are going to make a statement such as "Reading through the manual of my heater it would be a recipe for disaster" that it should be elaborated on. That way other posters can see if the degree of risk of installing a mains powered heater in a car likely to be greater than that of remaining in a padded bunker.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Grounding then is going to be the next concern, but I'm sure that you would get tips on that from the many RV forums!
    :)

Earth it to the DC ground, safest course provided you have installed circuit protection. I've had mains semi-hard-wired in a vehicle for years, and a hellova lotta more battery capacity and electronics than your average motor.

I just use the wood burner to defrost the windows myself. :P
    Plenty others I know use electric fires.

• Advertisement

Driveway is north facing, shaded so the water defrosting methods leaves ice for us when we go out :)

Carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

As Sir Liamalot suggests, something along the lines of this should sort it.
    Throw a few sods of turf and rake embers lightly the night before, should be cosy still at dawn.:p

Advertisement