Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First sign of Daffodils.

• 22-01-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭

Presume they are appearing even earlier in Sunny South East,but up here in Leitrim I spotted first shoots of Daffodils today,about 5 inches high.
    Remember well when you would not see that until mid to late February!
    The Seasons are certainly changing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Mine are just short of flowering. West Cork, I usually have flowers by the 1st of February. I also noticed on my walk this afternoon that the sorrel is up and there were dandelions flowering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There are buds on my climbing rose and my jasmine is flowering. The weather is obviously screwy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jdmurf

Daffodils in bloom in my garden for last ten days..... Only a couple mind you.... Earliest yet. Located in North cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Snowdrops in bloom last week:

Spring is not far away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Daffodils and crocuses in full bloom in Wolfe Tone park on the quays beside Heuston Station during the week..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Saw a Camellia in full-bloom during the week...I kid you not! My daffs are coming along nicely; even the ones I bought in Dec and forgot to plant are growing away in the packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

There are lots of different types of daffodils which bloom at different times. For instance, here in Wexford there are some which have been blooming since Christmas but I'll concede that even these seem to be getting earlier every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Different daffs come up at different times. My paperwhites are finished, flowered over christmas as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭space2ground1

For some reason, a lot of the daffs in my garden are coming up without flowers this year. They weren't disturbed in the flower beds and came up fine last year. Very odd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Overcrowded perhaps? Leave them to flower and dig them up and divide late summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

For some reason, a lot of the daffs in my garden are coming up without flowers this year. They weren't disturbed in the flower beds and came up fine last year. Very odd!

Are they one of the newer varities? I've found a lot of the new types come up 'blind' after 2 years of flowering and need to be removed. No amount of feeding or pampering will renew the flower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Are they one of the newer varities? I've found a lot of the new types come up 'blind' after 2 years of flowering and need to be removed. No amount of feeding or pampering will renew the flower.

Not that I know of. Just got a big bag of them in the garden centre around 4 years ago and they've done their thing every year since. Odd!

Advertisement