Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick Day Query

• 22-01-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been unwell since last night. I did my 90 minutes on the gate today but felt dizzy and nauseous. I feel worse now and am worriing about work tomorrow. Can I take a self-certified day? Will it count as one (tomorrow) or 4 (today for closed school, tomorrow and weekend?) Once it goes to 4 do I need a cert? I feel like I have some kind of bug. I don't think that the doctor will be any help but will go tomorrow rather if it is counted as 4 days. This will be my first ever sick day but I understand it is max of 7 in 2 years so I don't want to use 4 for 1 day. Anybody know what happens after a strike day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Just one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

One day. It will only count as four days if you ring in sick on Monday as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

strike day is a day docked, no bearing on today. 1 day unless Monday is also sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sickdayquery

Thanks everyone. I went in in the end. Feel better. Just was worried about what to do today when I feet unwell last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Sorry to hijack the thread but if you had a cert for yesterday do you get paid? A colleague was out all week, back today and was told it was put in the system as a strike day. She was annoyed as she thought she should get paid, now she feels that she is getting doubly penalised, ie losing a sick day and losing pay.
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

wtd2008 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but if you had a cert for yesterday do you get paid? A colleague was out all week, back today and was told it was put in the system as a strike day. She was annoyed as she thought she should get paid, now she feels that she is getting doubly penalised, ie losing a sick day and losing pay.
    Any ideas?
    I would think that she should only lose one or the other and if she's certified for the four days, she should be getting paid for yesterday. I'm not sure how I feel about the latter part of that but as far as I know, those are the facts of it.

I still can't get over the fact that they're counting weekends as sick days if you're off sick on either side of them. That really is appalling. What is the justification for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Thanks RealJohn, not sure how I feel about it either but I thought it had to be one or the other too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I would assume if you are taking payment for strike day and you are a union member wouldnt that be tantemount to crossing the picket?

Non union members were told that if they took the payment for the day (ie wrote the letter to say they were available)then it was also crossing the picket.

maybe just a word of caution if you decide to tell colleagues about getting paid for the day!

Edit: Just thinking again about this. Would anyone know if the Union has a dispensation for members who are sick on strike days. I think advice sheet said that people who are sick and didn't turn up for picket were exempt... however it didn't mention anything about putting in for payment for the day!

That's what I meant when I said that I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Sick or not, I think you probably shouldn't be accepting payment for a strike day.

People who wrote letters saying they were available are definitely crossing the picket though. We only have one of those (that I'm aware of) and it's not the first time he's put himself ahead of solidarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

probably a little off topic but what if you had a long term illness and off for a few weeks. Do the dept take the strike day off everyone regardless and let folk appeal if they want?

• Advertisement

I would think you get the sick day if it's certified unless you specify otherwise. I don't know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

If you're out on a Friday and the following Monday its only counted as 2 sick days. Its in the ASTI teachers' diary and I was pulled up at a staff meeting when I said it was 4 sick days...Its 4 if you're off thurs/fri and the following mon/tues...Double check in the diary...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kalimera

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    If you're out on a Friday and the following Monday its only counted as 2 sick days. Its in the ASTI teachers' diary and I was pulled up at a staff meeting when I said it was 4 sick days...Its 4 if you're off thurs/fri and the following mon/tues...Double check in the diary...

If absent on Fri and Monday this counts as four days. Directly from asti:

"In calculating the 365 days absence both certified and uncertified sick leave will be counted. For example, if a teacher is absent on sick leave on a Friday and on the following Monday this will be counted as four days of sick leave out of the 365 day entitlement, i.e. Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday."

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fredkruger2014

If you are out certified on a Thursday, Fri and all of the following week how many days would that be? Eleven?? Counting both weekends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Kalimera wrote: »
    If absent on Fri and Monday this counts as four days. Directly from asti:

"In calculating the 365 days absence both certified and uncertified sick leave will be counted. For example, if a teacher is absent on sick leave on a Friday and on the following Monday this will be counted as four days of sick leave out of the 365 day entitlement, i.e. Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday."

It is definitely counted as 4 days when a look back is done to see whether sick leave limits have been exceeded. However the next line says that only school days of absence count when determining whether a medical certificate is required and that for this purpose being absent Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday would only count as 4 days.

The TUI advice states that being absent Friday and the following Monday will count as 4 days and a medical certificate will be required.

Why the discrepancy I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Armelodie wrote: »
    probably a little off topic but what if you had a long term illness and off for a few weeks. Do the dept take the strike day off everyone regardless and let folk appeal if they want?

I would imagine if you are a union member, you are treated the same as everyone else with regard to a strike directive.
    If you weren't out sick, you wouldn't cross the picket and go against a directive.
    I know my colleagues on maternity leave were deducted pay.

Open to correction.

Advertisement