Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a loss adjuster? Motor insurance stress

• 23-01-2015 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

To cut a long story short, I had an incident last autumn. My car was damaged to the point of needing a new wing by the actions of another driver. They accepted liability at the time but aggressively tried to convince me not to go through insurance.

I didn't agree and reported it to both companies. All of a sudden he is blaming me and making a claim against me.

From the damage it's quite clear that I was not at fault. The tow truck driver pointed out several things that supported that and my own insurance company also found the other driver to be too blame. However his insurance company are saying it is my fault (after lying about trying to contact me) and my own insurance company are now talking about accepting his company's offer that each company settle their own claim.

I'm not happy about this, it's not yet a final decision but I'm stressed beyond belief. I'm already several hundred euro out of pocket having had to pay my excess, and my insurance premium has gone up by 50% according to the renewal notice I just got. All this for something that was not my fault.

Any ideas as to what I do next? Should I find a loss adjuster, or is that throwing good money after bad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Do you have photos as evidence? Any witnesses?

I would immediately put your claim and the refusal to accept any portion of liability into writing, also detailing all contact made with other party & their insurance co. into writing and send to your ins co via registered post. Attach any receipts for repair. I would consult a solicitor furnishing them with full details. Or get a solicitor to send through written confirmation of refusal.

Good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I have photos, my insurance company have these. I had two passengers but they're not classed as independent witnesses.

The repair was done through my own policy so they have all that info, I also sent them the letter I got from his insurance company saying their guy had failed to contact me (yes if you don't write, ring or email I guess you have failed to contact me) with the assertion that I had never been contacted by them.

The claims supervisor is due to call me today with an update so depending on what he says I may need to take further action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I didnt think there was any reason to contact the other party involved at all. Isnt that what the insurance companies do? deal with both parties involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Skatedude wrote: »
    I didnt think there was any reason to contact the other party involved at all. Isnt that what the insurance companies do? deal with both parties involved?

I would contact personally if it was me. I had a similar situation previously, left it in the hands of insurance co who allowed liability to be split 50/50 even though i wasnt at all at fault. No harm to cover all bases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Does it mke a difference? There's still been a claim that affects your insurability even if the claim isn't on your policy. I beleive you have to declare any claims made irrespective of who was to blame Or am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Panic averted. My company examined both companies' reports and backs me, damage proves my version of events and that I am not responsible. My company now going to fight it. What a difference 24 hours makes!

Thanks for replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

athtrasna wrote: »
    Panic averted. My company examined both companies' reports and backs me, damage proves my version of events and that I am not responsible. My company now going to fight it. What a difference 24 hours makes!

Thanks for replies!

Off topic

Happy friday :)

Advertisement