Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 year old 500 points LC repeat possible?

• 23-01-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to go to college in 2016, the courses I want to do require HL maths for mature students. I'm giving serious consideration to just repeating the entire LC so I can apply on points instead of as a mature student (I'm not a great interviewee).
    I got 365 first time round, I should have done better but I didn't do any work blah, blah, blah.
    Is 500 points a realistic target for 1 year of learning? I'm worried about what I've forgotten in the intervening years. I'd return now, but I'm doing a Fás course until April and I'd rather finish it. (It's a real qualification and it's relevant to what I want to do, so it's worth doing)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

pillphil wrote: »
    I'm planning to go to college in 2016, the courses I want to do require HL maths for mature students. I'm giving serious consideration to just repeating the entire LC so I can apply on points instead of as a mature student (I'm not a great interviewee).
    I got 365 first time round, I should have done better but I didn't do any work blah, blah, blah.
    Is 500 points a realistic target for 1 year of learning? I'm worried about what I've forgotten in the intervening years. I'd return now, but I'm doing a Fás course until April and I'd rather finish it. (It's a real qualification and it's relevant to what I want to do, so it's worth doing)

Thanks
    I could be wrong, but my understanding would be that at 28 you will be a mature student and bound by those acceptance criteria regardless of your pre-existing results.
    Do you mean that the mature criteria state that you need higher maths, and you would need to go through an interview to justify and bypass this requirement? If this is the case, as long as you are genuine about wanting to do the course and willing to catch up on the maths side of things I'm sure this will be clear. Otherwise would there be any sort of maths night course you could do to give you an equivalent to higher LC level on paper, to supportyou at interview without actuallLyn having to sit the leaving. Or you may be able to just sit the LC maths paper. A year is more than enough time to learso to pass it (and also to leavso and understand the content I'd that is your real goal).
    good luck with it, whatever approach you take. I would just advise against putting too much importance on the exams over the interest and knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

I believe mature students can take either route ie they can have enough points for the course, or they can do an interview if they don't have the points.
    There is a maths requirement even for mature students so I would need to pass higher level maths if I were to take the mature student application route. The problem with this is even if I pass maths, I still wouldn't be guaranteed a place, it would be dependent on an interview.
    As ridiculous as it sounds, given the options of a year of intensive studying 6 or 7 subjects or 30 minutes selling myself in an interview, I'd be more confident about studying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Hmm, I didn't realise so many universities had access courses. Might be a better option.

Advertisement