Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ramen

Options
  • 23-01-2015 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I've been craving some ramen recently so was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Dublin (or even further afield) that serves quality ramen.

Wagamama is definitely not what I'm looking for. A meaty, fatty tonkatsu broth would really hit the spot.

I'm fairly sure this is a hopeless cause but just posting the question in case I've missed something and there is some gem serving up quality ramen here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Best I've found anywhere close, but sadly not that close, is Rue Sainte-Anne, Paris. Second option, is Japan Center in London. Not sure of any notable Japanese food in Dublin since Koishi closed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yamamori is probably the best you'll get, their tonkotsu ramen is pretty damn good. In fact, most of their ramen is excellent for what it is, bit pricey though, especially if you're used to eating in ramen bars in Japan where you'd pay like 500-800円 a pop. It's not gonna be the most authentic, so no narutomaki (I miss those swirly little devils!), but the tonkotsu ramen is good and a lot better than what other places like Wagamama have to offer. Gets a thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thud

Musashi isn't bad, no tonkatsu though

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Links234 wrote: »
    Yamamori is probably the best you'll get, their tonkotsu ramen is pretty damn good. In fact, most of their ramen is excellent for what it is, bit pricey though, especially if you're used to eating in ramen bars in Japan where you'd pay like 500-800円 a pop. It's not gonna be the most authentic, so no narutomaki (I miss those swirly little devils!), but the tonkotsu ramen is good and a lot better than what other places like Wagamama have to offer. Gets a thumbs up from me.

I'll have to get myself to Yamamori and try their tonkatsu... I honestly didn't realise they had it on the menu.

I could have sworn I saw narutomaki (or something similar) in the Asia Market on Drury Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Have to agree with TJJP: you won't get good ramen in Ireland, at least not authentic ramen. I'd kill for a proper bowl of the stuff, but the closest I had was in Montreal!

By the way, if you want to crave ramen that little bit more, I recommend watching Tampopo, one of my all-time favorite films.

• Advertisement

I'll have to get myself to Yamamori and try their tonkatsu... I honestly didn't realise they had it on the menu.

I could have sworn I saw narutomaki (or something similar) in the Asia Market on Drury Street?
    Oooh! I may have to check that out! :eek:

Ps. it's tonkotsu, meaning pork bone (as in what they make the broth from), tonkatsu is a breaded pork cutlet. ;)
    Have to agree with TJJP: you won't get good ramen in Ireland, at least not authentic ramen.
    I think you'll be alright as long as you're not expecting it to be just like the ramen you had in that teeny little ramen bar near Minowa station that looked like an absolute dump and the only patrons were old men, but will forever be etched into your memory because their "many pork ramen" was incredible and had you coming back even though there's any number of incredible restaurants within a stone's throw you could've checked out instead, but you seriously wanted that ramen again and maybe this time try those gyoza your friends had last time, because that there is an itch that can't easily be scratched. :o

Oooh! I may have to check that out! :eek:

Ps. it's tonkotsu, meaning pork bone (as in what they make the broth from), tonkatsu is a breaded pork cutlet. ;)

I think I saw them in the fridge section. Hope you find them.

Doh! I thought they were both tonkatsu because they're pork :-)

I think you'll be alright as long as you're not expecting it to be just like the ramen you had in that teeny little ramen bar near Minowa station that looked like an absolute dump and the only patrons were old men, but will forever be etched into your memory because their "many pork ramen" was incredible and had you coming back even though there's any number of incredible restaurants within a stone's throw you could've checked out instead, but you seriously wanted that ramen again and maybe this time try those gyoza your friends had last time, because that there is an itch that can't easily be scratched. :o

Reminds me of queuing up for 5 hours to visit Sushi Dai in Tsjukiji market while noticing that there were lots of other small sushi places around (that were likely just as good) with no queues at all... BUT THEY WEREN'T 1ST ON TRIPADVISOR!

But hey, isn't standing in extremely long queues in order to visit a restaurant based on someone else's subjective reviews part of the Japanese dining experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Have you tried Hailan Korean and Japanese restaurant on dame street?

No haven't tried it. Worth a shot?

Found myself in Blanchardstown Centre the other day and, against my better judgement, popped into Wagamama for a bowl of their ramen. Overpriced and rubbish... but the gyoza was ok.

I don't know, but on my way there now. I have never had ramen, nor am I planning on ordering it this evening, I just saw it on the menu 4 or 5 types I think will let you know if the food is good.

• Advertisement

I don't know, but on my way there now. I have never had ramen, nor am I planning on ordering it this evening, I just saw it on the menu 4 or 5 types I think will let you know if the food is good.

Just checked them out on FB and had a read of a review in the Independent. Seems like a good spot, let us know how you get on... might have to take a trip in :-)

Just checked them out on FB and had a read of a review in the Independent. Seems like a good spot, let us know how you get on... might have to take a trip in :-)

Really enjoyed the food, shared the pork and chilli fried dumplings and vegetable tempura starter, and had Korean style pork and squid. All very tasty, nice atmosphere, casual, Japanese staff very welcoming. I don't know much about Korean Japanese food but it tasted, authentic, not fake msg Chinese style stuff.

Really enjoyed the food, shared the pork and chilli fried dumplings and vegetable tempura starter, and had Korean style pork and squid. All very tasty, nice atmosphere, casual, Japanese staff very welcoming. I don't know much about Korean Japanese food but it tasted, authentic, not fake msg Chinese style stuff.

Sounds good, going to head in and check it out soon. Seems like a nice place.

Thanks for the report :-)

Bumping this, because Kokoro on South Williams street does seriously good ramen now. Blows anything else available in Ireland out of the water, by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bumping this, because Kokoro on South Williams street does seriously good ramen now. Blows anything else available in Ireland out of the water, by far.

Even Miyazaki in Cork?! His Lemon ramen with pork knuckle is just awesome.

Will have to make my way in!

Ok, just spent the last few mins reading reviews of this place and this seems to be just what I've been hoping for, the real deal. Tonkotsu ramen with noodles made fresh on site... I am absolutely dying to get into this place now. I will have to make the trip in tomorrow I think. Thanks for the heads up Links.

Only downside is that they don't seem to have gyoza on their menu... but that's a price I'll gladly pay for proper ramen!

Advertisement