Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks help

Options
  • 23-01-2015 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

My mocks start the 5th of February im doing All honours and aiming to pass everything in the mocks
    This is what I've done so far
    Geography - case studies
    History - Calvin , monk , Wolf Tone , da Vinci and Cuban missile crisis
    Science - nothing mostly common sense
    Maths - some past papers
    English - to kill a mockingbird I studied a relationship , merchant of Venice I studied the court room scene and I'm gonna wing it with some war poem and a constable calls
    Irish - I've learnt a short story answer off by heart it deals with sport and happiness and sadness and I learnt Uaigness and measc duine
    German - I've learnt nothing im planning on cramming some vocab and phrases for my letter
    Business - I absolutely hate it , I know budgets and club accounts off by heart , just need to revise tpl&appr and the cash book general journal , I'm good with the short questions .

Do you think I'm in a good position to wing a few B's ?
    Going to add in anything extra I study over the next week .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

You wont be able to get a B with just case studies in geography. look at some social geography and stuff like earthquakes/rocks/rainfall and stuff on population density, they often come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Try going through past papers and see what you can answer. JC geography can be very repetitive so make sure that you can answer most questions if you want high marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I really don't think learning 4 or 5 people in history accounts alone is going to get you a B in history. But if you're just aiming to pass, what you've learnt plus a bit of "creative thinking" might scrape a pass.

And I can say from experience that "common sense" isn't going to get a B in science either. A rather thorough understanding of the entire syllabus is essential to a high grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Don't be under the illusion that Geography is an easy exam! Geography had the third lowest A rate of all Junior Cert subjects last year (Maths, Irish were higher).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

I really don't think learning 4 or 5 people in history accounts alone is going to get you a B in history. But if you're just aiming to pass, what you've learnt plus a bit of "creative thinking" might scrape a pass.

And I can say from experience that "common sense" isn't going to get a B in science either. A rather thorough understanding of the entire syllabus is essential to a high grade.

I learned 2 PIH for my JC(got a B) and they both came up, they are always predictable every year you can always single out 4 or 5 and at least one could come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭MRledzepo

VG31 wrote: »
    Don't be under the illusion that Geography is an easy exam! Geography had the third lowest A rate of all Junior Cert subjects last year (Maths, Irish were higher).

I've aced it since first year , I do these cool mind maps for case studies and I have soils and climates learnt good ,.

In terms of predicting people in histories , my teacher is making us learn people in histories that came up in 2014 for a class test , it's frustrating as I know they won't be on my paper , are the people in histories for the mocks usually close to what will come up in June ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

MRledzepo wrote: »
    In terms of predicting people in histories , my teacher is making us learn people in histories that came up in 2014 for a class test , it's frustrating as I know they won't be on my paper , are the people in histories for the mocks usually close to what will come up in June ?

Yeah the mocks are predictions for the junior cert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

DaleyBlind wrote: »

The mocks are a guess from commercial companies as to what will come up. They are nothing to do with the SEC.

Regarding People in History answers, most people learn off an answer that is WAY too long. Look at the marking schemes - see how many SRSs you need to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

DaleyBlind wrote: »

No they are not

• Advertisement

-People in history -
    Archaeologist (2012)
    •Renaissance painter / sculptor (2012
    Surf in manor (2004)
    •Irish independence leader (2011)
    Revolution (wolf tone covers you for questions A just in case so you should just cover him)
    There's no harm in covering the cuban missile crisis only 3-4 dates , easy to remember.

-Question A-
    Reformation
    Farm to factory
    Our roots in civilisation
    •Renaissance

-Question 5-
    Explorations
    Rural ireland/industrial England

Advertisement