Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre customer? You need to read this.

Options
  • 23-01-2015 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

If you are an Eircom eFibre customer with their standard F1000 router (see back of router if in doubt), then you might like to see how PS4 users are getting 300% more wifi/broadband throughput with a software fix to the router.

See the Boards.ie Playstation thread for details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

A thread within a thread, within a thread....Threadception ****BWOOONG****

pft I get better speeds over wifi with UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I get better speeds than that at the moment without updating the firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

I get better speeds than that at the moment without updating the firmware.

Er, the point is that regardless of what speeds you are currently getting, applying the software fix to your Eircom F1000 router will result in a significant improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

The latest F1000 firmware from ZyXel includes hundreds of bug fixes implemented in the two dozen firmware releases since Eircom built their firmware. See the Changelog in post #33 of the Unlock your F1000 thread. I cannot post links.

@alphaeagle, no offense to you but you manage in a single sentence to expose the depth of your lack of understanding of what this thread is about.

I applied the software fix to my F1000 months ago, even our local pub did it to get their CCTV working over VPN. The improvement in performance is immediate and obvious. The fact that a PS4 get 300% more throughput, up and down, over WiFi says it all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The latest F1000 firmware from ZyXel includes hundreds of bug fixes implemented in the two dozen firmware releases since Eircom built their firmware. See the Changelog in post #33 of the Unlock your F1000 thread. I cannot post links.

@alphaeagle, no offense to you but you manage in a single sentence to expose the depth of your lack of understanding of what this thread is about.

I applied the software fix to my F1000 months ago, even our local pub did it to get their CCTV working over VPN. The improvement in performance is immediate and obvious. The fact that a PS4 get 300% more throughput, up and down, over WiFi says it all.

MOD NOTE:

You can disagree with someone, PTR, but don't be insulting about it.

CatInABox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

If you are an Eircom eFibre customer with their standard F1000 router (see back of router if in doubt), then you might like to see how PS4 users are getting 300% more wifi/broadband throughput with a software fix to the router.

See the Boards.ie Playstation thread for details.

Is the above link not suggesting both software update and hardware modification? Or am i reading this completely wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Is the above link not suggesting both software update and hardware modification? Or am i reading this completely wrong?

It's just a hard reset to remove the eircom firmware which involves opening the modem you're not modifying the hardware at all

CatInABox wrote: »

MOD NOTE:

You can disagree with someone, PTR, but don't be insulting about it.

CatInABox

Apologies to all concerned.

foxerv1 wrote: »

The operating system of the router gets upgraded. You do need to open the F1000 to do the upgrade but the hardware does not change. I see the latest post in the Unlock thread confirms port port forwarding works well on the unlocked F1000.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The operating system of the router gets upgraded. You do need to open the F1000 to do the upgrade but the hardware does not change. I see the latest post in the Unlock thread confirms port port forwarding works well on the unlocked F1000.

It's a sad state of affairs that you need to physically open a router and mess with its innards just to get it to work properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's a sad state of affairs that you need to physically open a router and mess with its innards just to get it to work properly.

I agree. No ISP in the UK would get away with supplying the HG658c (Vodafone), or the F1000 (Eircom), to their fibre client base. It is disgraceful the software is so poor when the manufacturer makes updated, highly functional, software available.

Advertisement