Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apprenticeships

• 23-01-2015 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm considering getting an apprenticeship in HGV mechanics, I'd like to know more about what would be involved, the pros and cons. I've always had an interest in lorries been around them longer than I can remember, not the most knowledgeable when in comes to the mechanics buts that's what the apprenticeship is for would love to learn as it does interest me and it would be something I would like to do thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain Red

bump up

Sorry, but can anyone help me? I've already read te other threads that are on the sme subject but I still have questions, an cant find much on google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I'm considering getting an apprenticeship in HGV mechanics, I'd like to know more about what would be involved, the pros and cons. I've always had an interest in lorries been around them longer than I can remember, not the most knowledgeable when in comes to the mechanics buts that's what the apprenticeship is for would love to learn as it does interest me and it would be something I would like to do thank you

I'm not really sure what info you are looking for. In what way have "you been around them"

You could try to approach some garages with a CV and enquire. I would be concentrating on the "better" garages, main dealer preferably.
    Chances are they will be better equipped, better training, better experience etc.

I served my time in a garage that did trucks, heavy plant and agri stuff, even cars. There's a lot of heavy work involved and if you end up in the wrong place you will have a bend in your back before you are 35. I left and went in to industrial maintenance, about triple the money and about a tenth of the hardship :)

For what it's worth, my advice is to think carefully, if I was back I would not do it.

Sorry I didnt put more detail into the first post, was wondering how long is each phase of the apprenticeship and what can I expect from each phase are you payed while doing the off work part, what training centre an IT would I be in (I'm near to the cavan and westmeath border in Meath, how much would getting tools etc cost, what are the pros and cons of it as a profession as on boards.ie it seems most dislike it and got out "when they could" or absolutely loved it. I went by the local Renault Truck dealer but he said they were full up at the moment I done the LC 2 years ago now and have been in the unique situation for my age group, of being in a job however its not what I really wanna do long term and everytime I consider my future HGV mechanic is the only answer I can come up with.

Advertisement