Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal allowed funds to be debited from my debit card

Options
  • 23-01-2015 9:22am

over a year ago I purchased a web domain from a company, no problems at all.

It was for a project and I didn't need it for any longer than a few months.

The other day I looked at my bank account and noticed a debit for over €200 made through Paypal listed for the same company I used over a year ago.

I contacted Paypal and notified them I did not authorize this payment, within 24 hours they updated my claim and said because it was setup as a recurring payment I had no come back. This was the first time I was aware that I had setup any recurring payment as I was sure this was a one of payment.

Because it was nearly 9 months ago since I last used this website seller I didn't know any of my credentials for logging in to contact them so I sent them an email with the paypal transaction details.

Its now been 7 days and a further two emails have been sent but still they will not contact me.

I replied to paypal informing them that I had tried to contact this company in regards to these payments but they were ignoring me, paypal responded with a message basically saying tough.

Do I have any chance of getting a chargeback on my Visa Debit card? I have an idea that these charges are a renewal fee for this website however if I check out the site address it goes to a blank 404 error page suggesting the web page no longer exists. Add to this I remember at the time clicking off the auto renewal feature on the page setup and the company in question wont even respond to my emails.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I replied to paypal informing them that I had tried to contact this company in regards to these payments but they were ignoring me, paypal responded with a message basically saying tough.

Well since everything they and your credit card company did was in line with your instructions it is not surprising! If I remember correctly the confirmation of your original payment would have included a note to say an auto renewal was set up.

Now the best advice I can give you is to go into Paypal and turn off the auto renewal so that it will not happen again and while you are at it review what other auto renewals you have committed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Do I have any chance of getting a chargeback on my Visa Debit card?

Very unlikely, unless you can prove that PayPal (whom you paid for a service) have done something wrong, which from your description, it doesn't seem they have.

Advertisement