Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leo Varadkar for Taoiseach

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Both have pretty middle of the road accents.
    What is tortuous about either?

In the pantheon of accents, both speak better than your healy-Raes/ Mattie Magraths of this world.

Or god forbid Boyd Barret and Clare Daly both trying to hide their posh accents and sounding ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

More promises and pledges rehashed to keep the plebs believing.....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-reveals-25-health-priorities-659291.html

Just get on and do the work and stop clogging the airways with this regurgitated horsesh1t FFS.

So when the media ask him questions he should just ignore them and get on with his job? And then the likes of you would be on here whinging about how he refuses to give interviews and he must be hiding something and how it's a government ministers job to talk to the media to keep the populace informed. As i hvae said several times, there's jut no pleasing some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

In the pantheon of accents, both speak better than your healy-Raes/ Mattie Magraths of this world.

That's just not a fair comparison. I have a one year old niece who is more intelligible than either of those two examples. She's probably more skilled at making a cogent argument than them as well. We truly deserve the government we get when we allow a system that enables candidates like this to get elected to perpetuate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Sure why not.. it's the FG party line - whenever you're put on the spot blame the last lot (or SF). 4 years later and they're still pulling the same stunt.

It's why FG are actually WORSE than FF (and that's saying something!) IMO as they came in without the baggage promising change and reform but instead obediently implemented EU/FF policy and shafted the ordinary public.
    They've equally shown themselves to be just as able for the cronyism, corruption and incompetence of their predecessors.. the only reason we don't see more of it is because they are hardly ever in government.

As for Enda himself, he has to be a contender for the worst "leader" this country has ever had - and I know lots of people will say "uh uh, Cowen was worse" and while he was certainly unfit for the job, he was also thrown under the bus to save Bertie remember.
    Enda however is not just weak, he's cowardly - refusing to debate or explain himself to the people he supposedly represents, being the EU's whipping/poster boy for Austerity, and he goes into hiding whenever something happens - resulting in a parade of conflicting statements from his ministers.. which shows he can't even lead his own government never mind the country.

FG's only role in Irish politics seems to be to screw things up so badly that they make FF viable again :rolleyes:

I don't like FG myself, but in fairness if (and that's assuning the comparison is accurate) the trolley crisis was as bad in 2004 when the country was in the midst of a boom as it is today when we are coming out of a bust, then it does put the scale of the problem into context.

At least in 2004 throwing money at the problem was a viable solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Clear diction ftw

He is young, high profile, articulate and well regarded. He is a potential contender for FG leadership in the future but at the minute that's where it begins and ends.

He likely needs a few more years and accomplishments to earn the leadership spot, and will have to earn the nod over his other rivals.

If and when he does that, he would also need to convince the country his Larry deserve to be returned as the majority party.

He certainly has the potential to do all those things, but potential and ability are entirely different things.

Let's give him a few more years and see how he goes before we start handing him the job.

More promises and pledges rehashed to keep the plebs believing.....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-reveals-25-health-priorities-659291.html

Just get on and do the work and stop clogging the airways with this regurgitated horsesh1t FFS.

Seriously? Your grumbling about that?

He has just set out concrete targets on various matters and timelines for achieving them. Which means he is setting clear standards against which he can be judged and held accountable.

At the very worst, it gives you and other critics like you a clear yardstick to measure his failures by.

Honestly, i think sometimes there is absolutelty nothing politicans can say or do without people finding some way to criticise them for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

floggg wrote: »
    Honestly, i think sometimes there is absolutelty nothing politicans can say or do without people finding some way to criticise them for it.

There isn't.

I think we need SF in there next time somehow - just to expose them and show the Irish people that all the political parties are a joke and our political system and permanent government are not fit for purpose.

The funny thing is people somehow think irish politicians are somehow a unique political animal.

Show me any country (bar the Scandinavians, because they are all perfect) who are happy with their politicians or don't consider them self interested and untrustworthy political creatures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Seriously? Your grumbling about that?

He has just set out concrete targets on various matters and timelines for achieving them. Which means he is setting clear standards against which he can be judged and held accountable.

At the very worst, it gives you and other critics like you a clear yardstick to measure his failures by.

When these lads keep setting out the same stuff as if it's somehow new it becomes repetitive and looks like more spin.

Maybe Leo will come back in say, 3 months, 6 months and 9 months, and show us how many of the 25 bullet points here have been implemented.

We can judge his performance then. Agreed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The funny thing is people somehow think irish politicians are somehow a unique political animal.

Show me any country (bar the Scandinavians, because they are all perfect) who are happy with their politicians or don't consider them self interested and untrustworthy political creatures.

have a look at 2015 Edelman Trust Barometer http://www.edelman.com/insights/intellectual-property/2015-edelman-trust-barometer/trust-around-world/

The scandavians arnt too happy either, Ireland is however a basket case for trust.!

Trolley crisis isn't solvable without a massive reorganisation of the Irish health service, not easily done

BoatMad wrote: »
    Trolley crisis isn't solvable without a massive reorganisation of the Irish health service, not easily done

Exactly the problem with politics at the moment is that we are facing some very serious problems of an institutional and infrastructural nature, whether from debt, to education, to trolleys. These problems and their solutions do not fit easily into election cycles and unless the public are willing to take a long run view we may never effectively remedy these issues.

Exactly the problem with politics at the moment is that we are facing some very serious problems of an institutional and infrastructural nature, whether from debt, to education, to trolleys. These problems and their solutions do not fit easily into election cycles and unless the public are willing to take a long run view we may never effectively remedy these issues.

Correct +1

we have become a electorate with the attention spans of months. None is interested in tearing down the health service and rebuilding a modern efficient one. Just look at all the nonsense re cancer centres of excellence and regional hospitals. We simply don't want to or can't accept the bigger picture.

In the morning , you could send the elderly ( as most are) , "bed blockers" home, but of course that would cause an outcry " they sent me ma home etc". I was in Vincents a few years ago for a few weeks , you could see the issues in a matter of minutes, the solutions however are costly , complex and have long lead times.

Its easy for people rant and rave, and shout about "fix this " and that . But when the solutions take time and cause serious disruptions, then we are all up in arms again.

We have a health system the way to is, because its the way we want it.

Correct +1

we have become a electorate with the attention spans of months. None is interested in tearing down the health service and rebuilding a modern efficient one. Just look at all the nonsense re cancer centres of excellence and regional hospitals. We simply don't want to or can't accept the bigger picture.

In the morning , you could send the elderly ( as most are) , "bed blockers" home, but of course that would cause an outcry " they sent me ma home etc". I was in Vincents a few years ago for a few weeks , you could see the issues in a matter of minutes, the solutions however are costly , complex and have long lead times.

Its easy for people rant and rave, and shout about "fix this " and that . But when the solutions take time and cause serious disruptions, then we are all up in arms again.

We have a health system the way to is, because its the way we want it.

That's bollox.

The HSE has been a clusterf*ck since mehole set it up and we've been crying 'fix it' since then.
    How long must it take for this country to deliver a properly functioning health service?

You're blaming the electorate because 'that's the way we want it'?

Give me a break FFS.

Good to see though that under FG there's been an 11% increase in management and still not enough frontline staff to run it efficiently.
    Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Burn the bondholders!
    Not another red cent!

Good man Leo.

BTW I like the guy but I don't like how these myths take hold.

That's bollox.

The HSE has been a clusterf*ck since mehole set it up and we've been crying 'fix it' since then.
    How long must it take for this country to deliver a properly functioning health service?

Give me a break FFS.

Good to see though that under FG there's been an 11% increase in management and still not enough frontline staff to run it efficiently.
    Brilliant.

Well the electorate only gets the politicans it deserves/chooses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I don't like FG myself, but in fairness if (and that's assuning the comparison is accurate) the trolley crisis was as bad in 2004 when the country was in the midst of a boom as it is today when we are coming out of a bust, then it does put the scale of the problem into context.

At least in 2004 throwing money at the problem was a viable solution.

And throw money at it is what they did, however throwing money at the health system isn't even half the battle, there's a huge amount of reform needed and a lot of vested interests resistant to reform.

He is young, high profile, articulate and well regarded. He is a potential contender for FG leadership in the future but at the minute that's where it begins and ends.

He likely needs a few more years and accomplishments to earn the leadership spot, and will have to earn the nod over his other rivals.

If and when he does that, he would also need to convince the country his Larry deserve to be returned as the majority party.

He certainly has the potential to do all those things, but potential and ability are entirely different things.

Let's give him a few more years and see how he goes before we start handing him the job.

Since when were accomplishments necessary? Enda Kenny has been in Dail Eireann for over 39 years, a remarkably long tenure notable by an almost complete absence of any real political achievement. Enda is leader because he manages to say nothing and stand for nothing, safe and bland in otherwords. Leo might be too awkward for a role that requires such careful choreography.

That's bollox.

Give me a break FFS.

Sorry, this is exactly the issue i make

its far too simplistic to just scream " clusterf%6K" , what you are doing is demanding solutions but not in any way trying to understand the issues

The HSE may be or may not be an inefficient management system, but the problems of trolleys are directly related to hospital bed availability

Hospital bed availability is a complex subject, Ireland has approx 3 beds per 1000 population, a figure comparable with Scandinavians countries but significantly lower then the germanic countries at between 6 and 8, so clearly bed numbers per se are not a good indication of health service deliverable quality.

The solution in ireland is

(a) Ensure major trauma hospitals can release beds to trauma victims , this requires a network of extensive home support systems or respite homes or nursing homes. All of which either have to be built or undergo extensive rebuilding

(b) Remove the concept of consultants private beds or the whole concept of semiprivate or private beds in such major hospitals, This has major implications both contractually, legally and finance as the hospitals are heavily dependant on the private insurance industry to support their costs

(c) Build, staff and establish local health centres, that can take the load of major hospitals, aid the development of larger doctor surgeries to act as mini A&Es. Take policy decisions to remove minor accident patients and trivial follow up visits from major trauma hospitals

(d) Shut down inadequate regional centre/hospitals and concentrate trauma facilities in major hospital centres and then expand these. The availability of beds in larger more efficient hospitals is whats needed.

Trollies in themselves are not the issue ( lets call them movable beds), many A&E cases are dealth with overnight, whether these should be beds or trollies is debatable. Hospitals are not hotels.

The problem is many of these solutions, would cause industrial action, require massive capital and current spending injections, and cause significant disruption in the meantime, Just like Luas, you can't build a rail line through a city without breaking things, the health service is the same.

The problem is the public has no stomach for it. SO you and others take the easy route and shout " down with them" sort of thing. Thats typical of the electorate short-term-ism. We want the gain, but will not take the pain. Thats why I said " we get what we want"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

its far too simplistic to just scream " clusterf%6K" , what you are doing is demanding solutions but not in any way trying to understand the issues

The HSE may be or may not be an inefficient management system, but the problems of trolleys are directly related to hospital bed availability

Hospital bed availability is a complex subject, Ireland has approx 3 beds per 1000 population, a figure comparable with Scandinavians countries but significantly lower then the germanic countries at between 6 and 8, so clearly bed numbers per se are not a good indication of health service deliverable quality.

(a) Ensure major trauma hospitals can release beds to trauma victims , this requires a network of extensive home support systems or respite homes or nursing homes. All of which either have to be built or undergo extensive rebuilding

(b) Remove the concept of consultants private beds or the whole concept of semiprivate or private beds in such major hospitals, This has major implications both contractually, legally and finance as the hospitals are heavily dependant on the private insurance industry to support their costs

(c) Build, staff and establish local health centres, that can take the load of major hospitals, aid the development of larger doctor surgeries to act as mini A&Es. Take policy decisions to remove minor accident patients and trivial follow up visits from major trauma hospitals

(d) Shut down inadequate regional centre/hospitals and concentrate trauma facilities in major hospital centres and then expand these. The availability of beds in larger more efficient hospitals is whats needed.

Trollies in themselves are not the issue ( lets call them movable beds), many A&E cases are dealth with overnight, whether these should be beds or trollies is debatable. Hospitals are not hotels.

The problem is many of these solutions, would cause industrial action, require massive capital and current spending injections, and cause significant disruption in the meantime, Just like Luas, you can't build a rail line through a city without breaking things, the health service is the same.

The problem is the public has no stomach for it. SO you and others take the easy route and shout " down with them" sort of thing. Thats typical of the electorate short-term-ism. We want the gain, but will not take the pain. Thats why I said " we get what we want"

One of the largest causes of bed shortages is a lack of primary care out of hours. If someone get ill, especially if they are old, the only place to go is the A&E. They all have to be admitted and take up trolleys/beds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Varadkar is given credit as a straight shooter. I don;t agree. With that observation. You are not a straight shooter if you wait until it is absolutely clear that the public have completely rejected the rest of the Government's spin to say what was obvious from day one just so you can make maximum political gain. Less straight more shrewd.

Absolutely. We would be far better off with a guy who stated what he believed, got it wrong, admitted as much and set about changing. The above is the hallmark of someone who simply wants power as opposed to someone who wants to improve things. What he does is very calculated. Even this whole 'coming out' saga. I wonder if hospital trolleys had reached an all time low instead of an all time high, would we have heard about that? I fully believe we wouldn't.

Grayson wrote: »
    One of the largest causes of bed shortages is a lack of primary care out of hours. If someone get ill, especially if they are old, the only place to go is the A&E. They all have to be admitted and take up trolleys/beds.

I would not agree, the problem is what to do with these people, when they are initially treated and are now stable. ( i.e. the next day or two). IF they get a bded , it can be very difficult for a hospital to discharge them, especially if the person has ( or claims ) to have no outside assistance. When I was in vincents every public ward had old people , with no assigned doctor, merely "residing" in the bed.

I agree and I have said it we need to build health centres, and doctors surgeries that are 24/7 mini A&E systems, rather like the excellent medi-Doc systems I have experienced in athlone. It can be done, its very expensive and resource intensive. We also have a society that has become conditioned to turn up at hospitals at the drop of a hat, not to mention the usual friday night collection of drunks and misfits just looking to sleep off a hangover ( had two of them beside me last time in Vincents)

I agree with most of your post there, however every minister has promised to 'fix' the system of healthcare but it's still broken.

We have a second rate health service so we are 'taking the pain' as you put it, problem is that we're not seeing the gain despite the massive amount of money spent on it.

Basically, you're conceding that we will never have a properly functioning health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Yes but these major problems existed in 2011 - the heavy lifting should have been done then. FG/Lab are too afraid to do anything meaningful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Make no mistake he is a shrewd politician, he picks his battles and he is not some kind of new age political saviour. That said, if himself and Stephen Donnelly started a party together I'd be interested.

Yeah the stephen donnelly who has been an advocate for bailouts for people not paying their mortgages.:rolleyes:
    That's bollox.

Give me a break FFS.

Brilliant.

A good few posters on this website drew attention to the HSE fookups at the time of the 2007 general election.
    Remember the fookups like PPARS, the cancer misdiagnosis, the huge numbers on trolleys were pre 2007.

But a huge chunk of posters (representative of the electorate as a whole) couldn't give a rats ass and just told us how rich they were, how rich their relatives were what with all the building that was going on, how great the country was under bertie and how he
    had built the magnificent celtic tiger.

If most of the electorate really gave a s**t about the health service bertie, harney and mehole would have been swinging from lampposts.
    Nevermind the likes of reilly.
    Grayson wrote: »

From what I can see primary care is the GP filling out prescriptions, often rolling ones, for minor ailments.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

golfball37 wrote: »
    I don't think the old guard root and branch members of FG will accept him as their leader because of his sexuality.

I would have thought the same maybe 2-3 years ago. Not now.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes but these major problems existed in 2011 - the heavy lifting should have been done then. FG/Lab are too afraid to do anything meaningful now.

The way Varadkar and FG go on, you'd swear they were only elected last week.

They're almost 4 years there now and still it's the other fella's fault.

The Bart Simpson defence of 'I didn't do it' seems to be their answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Both have pretty middle of the road accents.
    What is tortuous about either?

At least the Healy Rae's aren't ashamed of their original accents.

A good few posters on this website drew attention to the HSE fookups at the time of the 2007 general election.
    Remember the fookups like PPARS, the cancer misdiagnosis, the huge numbers on trolleys were pre 2007.

But a huge chunk of posters (representative of the electorate as a whole) couldn't give a rats ass and just told us how rich they were, how rich their relatives were what with all the building that was going on, how great the country was under bertie and how he
    had built the magnificent celtic tiger.

If most of the electorate really gave a s**t about the health service bertie, harney and mehole would have been swinging from lampposts.

Like this rant is a thought out position on reforming the health service, look at the proportion of tax that is spent in health, its huge.

Harney is my view was about the only one that actually tried to break the status quo, the consultants had law and strikes on their side and ultimately beat her. Thats the problem, entrenched interests . Doctors nurses, management all want the thing fixed, AS long as their interest are protected. That can't be done. Its not the fault of ministers, thats too simplistic an argument.

jmayo wrote: »

Unfortunately we don't do that here..........It's a pity.;)
    Much easier to blame someone else, the big bad troika for instance.
    FG will tell you that their hands were tied from the start.

Funnily enough the biggest f*ck up's started happening once the troika 'left'.

FG aren't fit to govern Ireland, never were and never will be.

They got elected in 2011 by a desperate electorate with a massive protest vote to get the FFailures out.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately we don't do that here..........It's a pity.;)
    Much easier to blame someone else, the big bad troika for instance.
    FG will tell you that their hands were tied from the start.

Funnily enough the biggest f*ck up's started happening once the troika 'left'.

FG aren't fit to govern Ireland, never were and never will be.

They got elected in 2011 by a desperate electorate with a massive protest vote to get the FFailures out.

After the next gov F&^cks up in the electorate estimation , inset SF , FF or whatever in your post and repost in 2020 or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

golfball37 wrote: »
    I don't think the old guard root and branch members of FG will accept him as their leader because of his sexuality.

The other side of that argument is that we shouldn't all be giving him false praise and adoration because he is a gay minister, we should view his record and ability to do the job.

We also have a society that has become conditioned to turn up at hospitals at the drop of a hat, not to mention the usual friday night collection of drunks and misfits just looking to sleep off a hangover ( had two of them beside me last time in Vincents)

Absolutely. The amount of alcohol-related issues cluttering up the system is a real problem. Id propose that all such issues, that were not deemed life-threatening or accidental etc, should carry a premium cost that isn't covered by medical cards etc. A type of loan to cover your treatment that you have to pay back. Obviously people suffering from alcoholism aren't the target here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Oddly enough his straight taking front seems to remove a lot of critique on his actual achievements and performance.

His move to Health was shrewd on the part of Kenny. Many a politician has been broken there and if ever you want to maybe halt the rise in popularity of a potential succesor...put them in Health.

If Varadker come out relatively squeeky clean he will have a good shout at heading the party. The likelihood is he won't. Shrewd tactics by Kenny to be fair.

Varadker has had relatively poor performance in Transport and not off to a good start in health. I'd argue that unless he actually achieves something of note...talk of Taoiseach is well wide of the mark.

And exactly where would they have hotten either the money or political capital needed to do any heavy lifting in 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Absolutely. The amount of alcohol-related issues cluttering up the system is a real problem. Id propose that all such issues, that were not deemed life-threatening or accidental etc, should carry a premium cost that isn't covered by medical cards etc. A type of loan to cover your treatment that you have to pay back. Obviously people suffering from alcoholism aren't the target here.

Unfortunately the foundation of a public health care system is that you dont provide less care because of a specific paramater.

I don't really drink but I do smoke
    And while my only hospital trips in my life were A and E for football related incidents...you can't say tag a fee onto my healthcare because I smoke.

Private health insurance sure. Not a public system though. That leads to essentially discrimination and the state putting values on one citizens care over another.

A type of loan to cover your treatment that you have to pay back.

Can you see it now
    "Irish Daily Star - Heartless Varadkar to charge homeless for hospital visits"

Seriously this is why we never fix things

TheDoc wrote: »
    Unfortunately the foundation of a public health care system is that you dont provide less care because of a specific paramater.

And while my only hospital trips in my life were A and E for football related incidents...you can't say tag a fee onto my healthcare because I smoke.

Private health insurance sure. Not a public system though. That leads to essentially discrimination and the state putting values on one citizens care over another.

Correct and its one argument for comphrensive universal health insurance, because you would pay that premium that way , but receive exactly the same care as the next person.

And exactly where would they have hotten either the money or political capital needed to do any heavy lifting in 2011?

Political capital????
    FG were elected on a massive reform manifesto, they proceeded to rip that up and throw it in our faces, of that there is no doubt. The proof is there to be seen.

Money?
    There's plenty of money around to suit certain sections, how many billion was thrown into the banks and to the bondholders, this is after Leo Varadkar (the subject of the thread) swore blind that 'not another red cent' would be paid to certain types of bondholders.
    It was though, wasn't it?

• Advertisement

In fairness not all of the heavy lifting requires substantial expenditure. It also is worth noting that the government entered power in 2011 with the largest majority in the history of the state and with an overwhelming political mandate to 'revolutionize' our country. They squandered that political capital.

The other side of that argument is that we shouldn't all be giving him false praise and adoration because he is a gay minister, we should view his record and ability to do the job.

Thing is few people are judging his record in a ministerial position.

They are criticising his short tenure as health minister, but realistically what can be expected of him at that this stage. I'd say he's barely past the "getting up to speed" stage, and any problems occurring now are pre-existing.

Even if his brief was to institute wholesale reform, that's not something that can happen over night. You would think he'd need well in excess of 6 months just to start developing a strategy, never mind consult with stakeholders and begin implementing it.

You could argue that work should have been done before he took office, but the failure to do so would have been on James O'Reilly and the government as a whole.

I've seen few people attempt to critique his role in transport where he had a decent stint. That's where he's ability should be judged.

Cigarettes have massive excise and duty on them for that very reason (around 80% afaik)

You aren't providing less care though, they are getting the same care, they just have to pay a premium for it when it is deemed to be careless behaviour. Look at the way car insurance works, your premium rises when you are a careless driver - that isn't discriminating.

Smoking is a hard one to pin down, as issues don't manifest until later life, and they are generally life-threatening at that point. Sports injuries I wouldn't put in that bracket as playing sport is a healthy activity. There is nothing healthy about abusing alcohol.

In fairness not all of the heavy lifting requires substantial expenditure. It also is worth noting that the government entered power in 2011 with the largest majority in the history of the state and with an overwhelming political mandate to 'revolutionize' our country. They squandered that political capital.

They had no such mandate, they were essentially elected to get the country out of the immediate financial mess that FF had got us into, arguably , with an economy growing again and the state borrowing at very competitive market rates, they accomplished that. (remember when people where convinced wed need a 2nd bailout)

Every thing else, requires the state to accept significant upheaval in the public services and elsewhere, would the public tolerated that on top of all the fiscal stuff, I very much doubt it.

loads of people talk about " revolution" , few actually want it to affect them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

No thanks. If he was any more right wing he'd fall of the earth

economically he is right wing, but socially I think not.

• Advertisement

Thats the problem, entrenched interests . Doctors nurses, management all want the thing fixed, AS long as their interest are protected. That can't be done. Its not the fault of ministers, thats too simplistic an argument.

Well said, and this is why we will never have anything other than a broken health service. God help us if we ever really tried to tackle the waste in the HSE - sure aren't those individuals who were abusing mentally handicapped people STILL being paid?

If you can't fix a problem along the lines of a small number of employees who are abusing people supposed to be in their care within a number of MONTHS, how the hell are bigger problems going to be fixed, even if we give them years or decades?

Too many vested interests, too many mouths in the trough. Nothing has changed while the country was in complete and utter crisis, certainly nothing will change now that we are out of it. Business as usual. If anything, with pay rises on the table, we'll be paying a lot more for the exact same amount of output this time two years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭world_weary

No thanks. If he was any more right wing he'd fall of the earth

And that's just one of his great qualities

I'm not going to pretend to know how to fix health, but what substantive reforms do you think have been done without increased expenditure.

And the mandate was more "don't be FF" than substantial reform. Otherwise we wouldn't have gone with FG. They are slightly to the right of FF but don't represent any substantial change.

And whatever political capital they had was spent on tax cuts, water charges and paying the bond holders.

Any health care reforms which resulted in redundancies, closures or strikes on top of that would have made been more trouble than any politican would be willing to risk.

They had no such mandate, they were essentially elected to get the country out of the immediate financial mess that FF had got us into, arguably , with an economy growing again and the state borrowing at very competitive market rates, they accomplished that. (remember when people where convinced wed need a 2nd bailout)

Beyond saying they were elected to make things better, which could be applied to every government elected anywhere ever, I can't agree. Both parties promised radical transformations of democracy and economic policy, including Leo himself. They utterly failed to deliver on those promises in any meaningful way.
    Every thing else, requires the state to accept significant upheaval in the public services and elsewhere, would the public tolerated that on top of all the fiscal stuff, I very much doubt it.

I don't agree that everything else would require significant upheaval. I also believe that there was at the time a desire for and a willingness to endure significant change. At the present however I am not so sure.

Reilly promises 2018 for the new kids hospital.

He gets sacked and Leo tells us 2019.

Couple of months later and Leo tells us 2020.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-childrens-hospital-not-ready-until-2020-health-minister-confirms-659332.html

It's all a game to these muppets.

I remember when my second child was born and I was thinking that we'll have this state of the art hospital if, God forbid, anything ever happened to him.

He's 16 in June.

• Advertisement
Advertisement