Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Brow Thread...

Options
  • 23-01-2015 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

I know these pop up fairly regularly, but places change so often that I thought it would do no harm to ask.

I need a recommendation for somewhere to get my brows done that aren't going to just try and make my eyebrows look like the current trend of full and thick.

I used to go to Benefit a few times a year and maintain them myself in between visits, but I've been really unhappy the last 2 times I've been in, 1 because the stuff they're putting on my skin directly after waxing is now causing me to break out for a week or 2 afterwards all around my brows, and 2 because they are just waxing my eyebrows to nothing with feck all shape and then just putting Brow Zings over it to make me look like I have huge thick eyebrows. I could do that myself and the shape they are doing doesn't even suit my face.

I have fine, sparse brows that when tinted and shaped properly, actually look well. I want a recommendation for somewhere that'll work with what's there and what'll suit me, rather than just doing whatever they think looks good. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I used to go to Benefit too but gave started breaking out from the wax. It's awful and like you said lasts over a week.

If you're in Dublin, a girl I work with has beautifully arched eyebrows - she gets them done in Perfect Lady off Talbot St by a girl called Anna. I'm trying to get an appointment for myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My cousin said the same thing! It's weird isn't it? Been fine for 7 years but now it's ruining my skin. The last time I honestly looked ridiculous coming out though, my eyebrows weren't even symmetrical the way they were filled in. I've attached a couple of pics so you can see what I mean!!

Thanks for the suggestion, I am in Dublin so will deffo look them up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Oh that's shocking! I wonder have Benefit changed the wax brand.

Wish I could just do my brows myself but I'm terrified of messing them up!

I wonder too.... I thought it might actually be the balm they put on afterwards? It is shocking when you're paying 30 euro! I can do my own but I have a lot of very fine blonde hairs so plucking them takes half a day to do properly. Going to a wedding in 2 weeks and didn't want to run the risk of coming our looking like that again :) thanks again for your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I used to love benefit in South william street too. I went every 4 weeks until the week of a family wedding, I went and they burned me with the wax! It was so painful, bright red with white spots in the exact places the strips were applied and the stung and itched for 5 days! I couldn't put anything on them other than aloe Vera.
    I went back to them to let them know what had happened and they were so disinterested and unapologetic I never went back. I have changed to threading in Elysian brows and it is fab!! I am so happy with them. The best shape I've ever gotten. They are possible a little pushy with their product, the Anastasia stuff but I don't mind that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Oh my god ladies me too!! I've been going to Benefit for years and the last two times had really bad itching and a rash along the brow..They must have changed their wax! I've heard great thing about Shu Uemura in BT's but i think they do them at the counter which I don't love. Might try Elysian next!

I know this might sound bad but it's such a relief to know that it isn't just me! What were they thinking?

I've heard that they were uninterested in complaints before Penny, someone complained and was told "well you signed the patch rest waiver". That's why I didn't bother!

I don't have super sensitive skin (maybe just sensitive eyes) so I was surprised that I reacted so badly, but it's clear now there's a wider issue at play.

Some good suggestions guys! Today I could take no more waiting and ended up doing them myself, but I would still like to have a professional to go to for occasions and general shape maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

They told me with absolute certainty that the have not changed the wax so that just made me think that the wax was too hot and it burned me! I don't have very sensitive skin and have never had anything like that happen to me before and it has put me off waxing completely. I'm sorry that other people have had the same after effects but happy it wasn't just me they didn't care about!

They never even said sorry, that was what bothered me the most. I know not many places will accept responsibility without being absolutely certain they are at fault (the asked me multiple times of I had changed my face wash or my laundry detergent!) but they could have said We're sorry you had a bad experience or weren't happy with the service. They just asked like it was no big deal and offered to give me another patch test.
    Poor form benefit! I used to recommend them to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have only been to Benefit once. And my eyebrows came out in a bumpy rash from the wax afterwards! It actually made me too scared to get my brows waxed again, I only got them plucked for ages! Now I've been getting them waxed again and they have been fine. Was just that one time in Benefit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The last time I honestly looked ridiculous coming out though, my eyebrows weren't even symmetrical the way they were filled in. I've attached a couple of pics so you can see what I mean!!

Just to say, practically no-one has symmetrical brows and trying to get them to look perfectly symmetrical is just going on a hiding to nothing. The best quote I ever read in relation to eyebrows is that "eyebrows are sisters, not twins". They're never going to look the exact same.

Having said that, the issue with breaking out is definitely concerning, particularly if they don't seem to even care when you mention it. Have you ever tried threading? There's no product involved, so nothing to cause a break-out. Now, if your skin is senstive your eyes will probably water like crazy and if you're anything like me, you'll sneeze your head off, but that's all very temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Valentina wrote: »
    Oh that's shocking! I wonder have Benefit changed the wax brand.

Wish I could just do my brows myself but I'm terrified of messing them up!

I'm the opposite. I do my brows myself because after one too many bad experiences with beauticians I'm terrified of anyone else messing them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I wouldn't wax my brows - think of how delicate the skin is in that area. It can't help to be pulling at it like that

OP - have you ever had your brows threaded? I have been getting them done for about 5 years now and I like the result. Depending on who does it, it can be painful, so you just have to find someone you like who is quick and gentle.

I used to go to Neelu in Arnotts and I found her great. I stopped going because it was getting harder to get an appointment with her.

I also found the girl in Nails Inc in Dundrum (BT2) very good. There used to be another good person in Nails Inc in Debenhams in town, but I think she's out in Dundrum now.

I have a great girl in my local salon who I go to now. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kelfy

Another vote for Elysian Brows! I have only been once but the whole experience was great. I had had my brows waxed a few times before but was never that happy with the shape. The threading at Elysian was so thorough and I was actually thrilled afterwards, even though it is a bit sore/uncomfortable. They did push the products a bit - I told them I never wear anything on my brows and didn't want to start and she put a small bit on me to show me the product but left it at that.
    I haven't been back yet but I am due an appointment soon.

Advertisement