Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat 08 - Parking sensors not working anymore

• 23-01-2015 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

The parking sensors on my Passat 08 just stopped working. When I put in reverse it used to do a beep but not anymore and then the normal sequence of sounds of a parking sensor.

I went to a VW representative and they charge 75 euro just to assess if it is electrical or damaged and if they have to dissemble the part it would take probably about 2 hours so another 200 euros.

I was wondering if it could be a fuse but wouldn't know which one to look for.

Did anyone had this issue before?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Not familiar with VW's at all, but do the reverse lights come on when you put it in reverse? If not, it might just be a simple switch. If they do, maybe a fuse? Did you accidentally press a button to disable them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭outlooks

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reverting so quickly. The lights come on when in reverse. I will check the fuse and see if their is an on/off option there. Thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

outlooks wrote: »
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reverting so quickly. The lights come on when in reverse. I will check the fuse and see if their is an on/off option there. Thanks for the tips.

with some park sensors you should be able to hear a ticking/clicking type noise if u put your ear up to the individual sensors in case one of them is faulty has stopped working, if u hear a ticking sound i.e from 3 sensors but nothing from 1 of them, this could help u narrow it down.

you could also try and reach up the inside of the back bumper (if possible) to see if the wiring is in place going to each sensor i.e rule out a bad connection to the sensors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

supervento wrote: »
    with some park sensors you should be able to hear a ticking/clicking type noise if u put your ear up to the individual sensors in case one of them is faulty has stopped working, if u hear a ticking sound i.e from 3 sensors but nothing from 1 of them, this could help u narrow it down.

you could also try and reach up the inside of the back bumper (if possible) to see if the wiring is in place going to each sensor i.e rule out a bad connection to the sensors

One of mine went and this worked to find which one it was. Just put the car in reverse with the ignition on and go around and listen to each individual sensor on the bumper. If one isn't clicking you've found the problem.

Hi supervento and dmc17

I will try that too. I checked the fuses and they all look good.

Funny enough in the user manual it points to socket 3 and 13 in the fuse box for "parking distance sensor" as they call it but there are no fuses there. That has always been the way and the sensors were working before.

Thanks for the advises.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

None of them are clicking. Tried to see the wiring by dissembling some of the easy parts but no joy, couldn't see them.

Guess I have to send the car to an electrical mechanic. What VW asks is way too expensive so need to find an alternative.

Thanks for the tips, really appreciated.

Advertisement