Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we all brainwashed by American movies

• 23-01-2015 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Okay,

I know it's Friday AND I know it's early but was passing the cinema and saw a poster for American sniper and looked up the bio
    American Sniper is a 2014 American biographical war drama film directed by Clint Eastwood and written by Jason Hall. It is based on Chris Kyle's autobiography American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History. With 255 kills, 160 of which were officially confirmed by the Department of Defense, Kyle is the deadliest marksman in U.S. military history

U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle is sent to Iraq with only one mission: to protect his brothers-in-arms. His pinpoint accuracy and courageous exploits earn him the nickname "Legend." However, his reputation is also growing behind enemy lines, putting a price on his head and making him a prime target of insurgents. He is also facing a different kind of battle on the home front: striving to be a good husband and father from halfway around the world. Despite the danger, as well as the toll on his family, Chris serves through four harrowing tours of duty in Iraq, personifying the spirit of the SEAL creed to "leave no one behind". But upon returning to his family, Chris finds that it is the war he can't leave behind

To me the closest analogy is Nation's Pride in Inglorious Basterds It's just out and out jingoistic dribble.

It's kind of topical though. These lunatics in the Paris Attacks and the attacks on Britain and Spain have become radicalised as a counter balance to the other radical nutters running half the world. In most cases they were domestic people who had been totally marginalised and ignored by society. Basically the poor. Is it any wonder when they are ignored by the society they are raised in they become bitter and radicalised.

So while we have Sky News and Fox blaring propaganda all day long having people check under their bed for terrorists there are billion dollar industries pumping out weapons, and guns, and tanks and all sort of creative devices to kill people.

I was thinking of Top Gun- Which is a movie I loved as a child but when you think about it it's screaming America Fcuk Yeah!. The American pilots faces are pilots are shown but the foreign pilots have a black mask on so we cant see their faces and they are totally dehumanised.

This dehumanisation then continues in every movie we see where its the American or Western "hero" mass killing a huge quantum of "bad-guys" who have really really really really bad aim missing with automatic rifles at short distances which can never seem to shoot through 1/8th of an inch of car door for some reason.

Bond, The hurt locker, and gazillions of other movies etc.

Why does all this matter?

Well the de-humanisation leads to the situation where Israel is pretty much committing genocide and we are letting them,

Where we bomb a country (Iraq) and put it on TV because we are conditioned to that in movies. Every explosion is killing someone.

Where radicalised CIA sponsored lunatic billionaire Saudi Arabians (as bin laden was) fly domestic flights into the world trade centre and America goes off bombing Afganistan and Iraq.

It's all just soooooooooo, inhumane and stupid.

Anyway, I don't think I am going to see the movie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

its only a movie, Ive seen it..its ok....yeh its a bit propaganday (well a lot) but as a piece of cinema its pretty well done. Just watch it with your social/moral/political hats on the seat beside you and you'll be grand:D

Worth it for seeing the RIDICULUS plastic baby that they "have" and wondering, WHY, but Why no one told Clint it looked absolutely stupid! :D
    Weird plastic baby is the real star of ‘American Sniper’http://mashable.com/2015/01/21/american-sniper-baby/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

"You can't handle the truth".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The movie itself is getting mixed reactions in the US. It's going down a storm in the southern states - where gun-toting and flag-waving are part of the morning routine - but in the northern states and the big cities it's getting slated for its glorification of violence and portraying a psychopath as a national hero.

If you do some reading on the whole thing, the guy himself was a complete psycho scumbag. Absolutely no morals, no hesitation in killing anyone that he perceived as "the enemy", practically revelling in the enjoyment of gunning down "savages".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Seth Rogan compared it to this:

Duh, just read o.p. fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

I had no intention of watching it - it certainly does seem the US equivalent of Nations Pride (apparently Seth Rogen kicked up a storm for saying the same thing).

But after seeing the fake baby....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Americans always win.Even vastly superior aliens can't beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Sarah Palin endorsed it; nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

These lunatics in the Paris Attacks and the attacks on Britain and Spain have become radicalised as a counter balance to the other radical nutters running half the world. In most cases they were domestic people who had been totally marginalised and ignored by society. Basically the poor. 

No they weren't. The Charlie Hebdo murderers were an anomaly. The 7/7, 9/11, the failed Glasgow airport attackers and the Madrid bombers were all extremely well educated and far from poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH even looking at the trailer it does have a vibe of Nations Pride off it but I would hold judgement on it until I had actually seen it.

As long as you are aware of the US cinema's love affair with the military then you can watch these films and appreciate them as the entertainment they are intended as.

I have war movies made in China and in Russia in my film collection at home and again they are biased totally towards the audiences they are intended for. Once you realise that all these films are aimed at the domestic US audience and that they don't give a hoot about us outside the US it makes it understandable the way they are slanted.

On analysis and reflection it does make it worrying considering the pedestal that the US military is generally put on in an awful lot of their mainstream films. In some cases a number of the films reek of glorified recruitment infomercials for the US armed services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No they weren't. The Charlie Hebdo murderers were an anomaly. The 7/7, 9/11, the failed Glasgow airport attackers and the Madrid bombers were all extremely well educated and far from poor.

Most of these suicide headbangers are idealistic idiots.The only use they can find for them is to strap a bomb to them or give them a suicide mission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Rambo III - "Dedicated to the brave Mujaheddin fighters" "Dedicated to the gallant people of Afghanistan" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

American Sniper (the movie) is as far away to the book (what actually happened) as chalk is to cheese. Eastwood made up a lot of crap like the 80's superninja villain that snipes people from a different state as well as sadistic hate-filled Muslims drilling kids heads in...

Made up. All of it made up.

The only similar thing about the movie and the book is that somewhere in the early 00's there was a sniper deployed in the Middle East somewhere.

That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

American movies are not brainwashing us.....Silly American TV shows are brainwashing us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Are we all brainwashed by American movies?

No - because we're not all watching that crap!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Are we all brainwashed by American movies

No but if you point out that it is propaganda claptrap you are called a tinfoil hat wearing liberal commie terrorist faggot who should be grateful to America that you're not speaking German now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

caustic 1 wrote: »
    "You can't handle the truth".

Denzel's best ever line.

longshanks wrote: »
    Denzel's best ever line.

Errr it was Jack!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Birneybau wrote: »
    Seth Rogan compared it to this:

Duh, just read o.p. fully.

You mean the guy that hired special forces bodyguards when he pissed of the North Koreans? Good luck getting one of them to take a bullet for you Seth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

gandalf wrote: »
    Errr it was Jack!

My name isn't Jack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

If you watch one thing like that, the odd time, you'll be able to see how it's propagandistic and nonsense - if you watch the same kind of crap all of the time, you'll get used to bits of propaganda that get repeated very often (especially the small/subtle things), even if you know overall that a lot of it's nonsense, and you'll start to take it on by repetition (and it's almost like every other movie in the cinema these days, contains some element of crap like in this film).

Nobody is immune to this - because nobody can stay on guard all the time, and analyze for it - if you think you won't take any of it on, you're wrong.

So, it's a pretty good idea to learn the faults in what you're considering seeing, before you see it (same with books and other online/offline sources of information in general) - and just not bother with it at all if it looks like propaganda/misleading - as repeatedly exposing yourself to garbage, is pretty much damaging to your intelligence.

longshanks wrote: »
    My name isn't Jack.

No I meant the quote was uttered by Jack Nicholson in A few good men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

gandalf wrote: »
    No I meant the quote was uttered by Jack Nicholson in A few good men.

Ahh that exchange made me laugh.. kept thinking on "don't call me Shirley".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If you are brainwashed by Michael Bay then you are an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

pew pew

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Just waiting for Egginacup to chime in here....

Also Seth Rogan admitted that he actually enjoyed the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Did they include the part in the movie where Chris Kyle was set up on the roof of the Superdome in New Orleans to kill looters.

It actually happened for real*

*According to his 100% truthful book on which American Sniper is based.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/real-american-snipers-5-alleged-lies.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

films have thought me that wqe only use 10% of our brains.

bad guys are rarely good shots.

All non americans are evil.

all americans are basically flawless human beings, their failings only truely being strengths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Where we bomb a country (Iraq) and put it on TV because we are conditioned to that in movies. Every explosion is killing someone. .

I must have missed the time Ireland bombed Iraq.

• Advertisement
Advertisement