Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shops selling internet explorer discs ?

Options
  • 23-01-2015 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi

Would anyone know any shops in Dublin selling discs with internet explorer or another internet (Google chrome , Firefox etc) which would operate on a windows XP laptop.

(the internet won't work on it and seems to be corrupted so we can't download anything directly from the web - so needing a disc to try and re-load some clean version of the internet explorer)

Thanks for any suggestions

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

If your system is corrupt you would be better off doing a
    Restore to factory settings
    Save all your important files before hand
    I've just done this on my own laptop
    Windows update takes a while but the laptop will be like new
    Install something like
    Malwarebytes and ccleaner
    Very handy tools to have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

reboot and tap f8 key repeatedly while it boots.. When you get a black screen with white text select the boot safe mode with networking or something similar and you should be able to download a new browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

jay-me wrote: »
    reboot and tap f8 key repeatedly while it boots.. When you get a black screen with white text select the boot safe mode with networking or something similar and you should be able to download a new browser.
    Out of curiosity how would the PC/laptop be repaired then ?
    I had a virus on mine from a site I use all the time
    Downloads.cnet
    What ever I tried to clear the virus it went undetected
    Woukd be handy to know for future ref thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Out of curiosity how would the PC/laptop be repaired then ?
    I had a virus on mine from a site I use all the time
    Downloads.cnet
    What ever I tried to clear the virus it went undetected
    Woukd be handy to know for future ref thanks

It wouldn't be repaired, it just loads a basic version of windows without a lot of processes and usually prevents viruses etc from running as they aren't part of the barebones list that windoze uses.

You can usually run an antivirus from safe mode and a lot of people recommend doing it in safe mode as again the viruses aren't loaded and can't conceal themselves.

Advertisement