Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metalman..in cans now

Options
  • 23-01-2015 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

On sale today in cans for first time. Support local beer, jobs and suppliers.
    i hear that some off licences are doing 4 for 10, anyone know which off licences.??

I heard it will be available in ferrybank, World wide wines and ardkeen, any others??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

The Carryout in Ferrybank had them on sale yesterday at 4 for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

2.50 A can... ouch

Think its about €2.80 for an individual can.
    Pretty pricey considering the cans are only 330ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

only 330ml, now thats just takin the mick.

Will give them a go to try them out, but at those prices you'd be better off going into a pub and paying the €5 for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

How is it something that is produced locally is more expensive than beer that comes from locations around the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

longshanks wrote: »
    How is it something that is produced locally is more expensive than beer that comes from locations around the world?

Basically, heineken, bud and all that mass produced Pi$$ that is consumed in bulk by people do get economies of scale granted but they also use various other things like rice, corn etc instead of barley, hops etc to make it cheaper.
    Proper craft beer (and i realise im coming across like a beer bore here) is just a higher quality, more tasteful product, people who drink stuff like metalman arent interested in knocking back 7,8,9 pints of the stuff. in fact, its so full of flavour, your taste buds would physically have enough. 'drinkability' is a word that a lot of the big producers use, their mass produced stuff is devoid of flavour so you can drink a lot of it. Whats the most drinkable liquid out there, water! Completely free of taste which mass produced beer is akin to.
    the prices quoted 2.50-2.80 are fairly reasonable for 330ml of top quality stuff when you compare it to other top quality stuff like Brewdog from Scotland, Duvel from Belgium, Dungarvan....many others

Heard 2.50 in WWW also when buying a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I know that Metalman have lost the taps in a few pubs in Dublin as the pubs switch to tap rotation thanks to sheer availability out there. Will they be selling cans in pubs ala Brewdog?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Max Powers wrote: »
    Basically, heineken, bud and all that mass produced Pi$$ that is consumed in bulk by people do get economies of scale granted but they also use various other things like rice, corn etc instead of barley, hops etc to make it cheaper.
    Proper craft beer (and i realise im coming across like a beer bore here) is just a higher quality, more tasteful product, people who drink stuff like metalman arent interested in knocking back 7,8,9 pints of the stuff. in fact, its so full of flavour, your taste buds would physically have enough. 'drinkability' is a word that a lot of the big producers use, their mass produced stuff is devoid of flavour so you can drink a lot of it. Whats the most drinkable liquid out there, water! Completely free of taste which mass produced beer is akin to.
    the prices quoted 2.50-2.80 are fairly reasonable for 330ml of top quality stuff when you compare it to other top quality stuff like Brewdog from Scotland, Duvel from Belgium, Dungarvan....many others

Heineken don't use rice and corn. I'm all for smaller breweries and have been drinking craft beers as long as they've been around. I drink the local brews too when I'm in pubs or restaurants that serves them, but I still think metalman are overpricing themselves with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

crazyman wrote: »
    The Carryout in Ferrybank had them on sale yesterday at 4 for €10.

4 for €10 in Ardkeen Stores aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Im sure they have their own reasons for pricing at 2.50+. They are not out to rob people nut must cover costs and have a profit fpr themselves. The 330ml bredog tinnies are 2.50+ also in my local offie and all the speciality belgians are always over 3€. When demand and output increases the price could well come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Very steep pricing , some people may not be able to afford to shop local anymore if these are the prices being offered to us..

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

You have to pay for quality. Nobody is stopping you from having your Tuborg or whatever slop in a can you might like. Fair play to them. It's the same about of beer as you'd get in a long neck bottle and they're only a few cent cheaper really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

2.50 can or 4 for 10 isn't terrible for craft beers....it's kinda a standard price for them. In supervalu they're generally all that price and the McGargles range is 4 for 10 as well.......Is the price problem just that people think that it should be cheaper than the similar range from other breweries?

ec18 wrote: »
    .Is the price problem just that people think that it should be cheaper than the similar range from other breweries?

No people just want stuff for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Drinking one as I type. Fair price in my opinion for a quality product. Not made for 10 in one session but perfect for a few in the evening.

I think the coke can appearance makes it seem more expensive than it is. It's the same volume as a standard bottle and €10 for 4 bottles isn't excessive especially for a craft beer - I've paid €4+ for other 330ml craft beers. In saying that, I'm wasn't overly keen on Metalman from a can. It seems far to carbonated and leaves a lingering unpleasant aftertaste. Much prefer it on draught.

hopefully just "beta" issues :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

That's the shot boi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Which beer(s) have they got available in the cans? They had a "Can Prototype" beer on tap in the Vic in Tramore over Christmas which I'm guessing is the one. I found it a bit too hoppy for my taste, too much bitterness in the aftertaste. Now Pale Ale to take home I would jump at!

• Advertisement

JMcL wrote: »
    Which beer(s) have they got available in the cans? They had a "Can Prototype" beer on tap in the Vic in Tramore over Christmas which I'm guessing is the one. I found it a bit too hoppy for my taste, too much bitterness in the aftertaste. Now Pale Ale to take home I would jump at!

Well you are in luck,it is the pale ale. Heard rumour that they might be doing couple others too later on in year. Guess it would depend on success of pale ale. my choice would be the can prototype one JMcL, each to their own ey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Hopefully they'll be bringing out plenty of different types,seasonal brews etc. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

This just in. The recession is over.
    People prepared to pay €2.80 for small can of beer. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

In fairness it's €3-75 for a 500ml of Minehead so per litre it works out the same.

3.75*2 =€7.50
    2.50*3 = €7.50

1l vs 990ml

Would much prefer a 500 ml bottle of Metalman or even a 500ml can than a 330ml, though.

Nobody is holding a gun to anyones head to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

No worse than paying €5 for a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

No worse than paying €5 for a pint.

Its €5.60 for a pint of metalman if you add the price of two of their cans :p

I had 4 cans Sunday night and to be honest i wasnt impressed ive no issue with the price but as someone already mentioned there was a very unpleasant aftertaste that i could still taste the following morning.

Its €5.60 for a pint of metalman if you add the price of two of their cans :p

I had 4 cans Sunday night and to be honest i wasnt impressed ive no issue with the price but as someone already mentioned there was a very unpleasant aftertaste that i could still taste the following morning.

2 cans is 660ml, what type of pints are you drinking moose, no wonder you were steamed up after only a few pints.:)
    Each to their own on taste i suppose but do you drink much pale ale/IPA? only ask because you mightnt be used to the hops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Max Powers wrote: »
    2 cans is 660ml, what type of pints are you drinking moose, no wonder you were steamed up after only a few pints.:)
    Each to their own on taste i suppose but do you drink much pale ale/IPA? only ask because you mightnt be used to the hops.

Oh right i was just saying that because 2 cans fitted into a pint glass at home :o

When im out i usually drink Guinness or Heineken but if they have metalman ill try a pint or two,when at home i drink only bottles they could be anything to Peroini/Tiger/Corona or whatever takes my fancy when im in the off licence :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Oh right i was just saying that because 2 cans fitted into a pint glass at home :o

When im out i usually drink Guinness or Heineken but if they have metalman ill try a pint or two,when at home i drink only bottles they could be anything to Peroini/Tiger/Corona or whatever takes my fancy when im in the off licence :)

That's some pint glass you have moose, you should bring it with you when you go out ;)

Advertisement