If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HiFi

Options
  • 23-01-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of taking a step into the world of HiFi (have a Pioneer mini HiFi in my kitchen and Pioneer surround sound system in my sitting room) but I want something with a bit more punch for listening to music. Now budget is tight because I'm not sure how much its going to get used, I've set aside €200 to get me started. I know that's not much but I was thinking if anyone can sort me with something you guys can. I was even looking at second hand items but there doesn't seem to be much modern stuff around. From browsing your site (for hours :-) ) the only set-up I could see that would fall within my budget is Cambridge Audio Am1 and maybe a set of Tannoy Mercury V1's ? Or would I be better of going for a pioneer A10 (have a soft spot for Pioneer for no particular reason) and a set of slightly cheaper speakers ( Wharfedale Diamond 9.0) with a view to upgrading them down the line ? I don't know a whole lot about this kinda stuff.

Anyway, see what you guys can do, as above I'd consider anything condition wise (damaged/scratched/no remote etc.) Just to get me started off. Prices in euro and postage to Kildare please.

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

DavyC2 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of taking a step into the world of HiFi (have a Pioneer mini HiFi in my kitchen and Pioneer surround sound system in my sitting room) but I want something with a bit more punch for listening to music. Now budget is tight because I'm not sure how much its going to get used, I've set aside €200 to get me started. I know that's not much but I was thinking if anyone can sort me with something you guys can. I was even looking at second hand items but there doesn't seem to be much modern stuff around. From browsing your site (for hours :-) ) the only set-up I could see that would fall within my budget is Cambridge Audio Am1 and maybe a set of Tannoy Mercury V1's ? Or would I be better of going for a pioneer A10 (have a soft spot for Pioneer for no particular reason) and a set of slightly cheaper speakers ( Wharfedale Diamond 9.0) with a view to upgrading them down the line ? I don't know a whole lot about this kinda stuff.

Anyway, see what you guys can do, as above I'd consider anything condition wise (damaged/scratched/no remote etc.) Just to get me started off. Prices in euro and postage to Kildare please.

Thanks.
    Hi Davy,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you :o...

I know €200 isn't a lot but we can get you some decent sounding kit for you to get you bopping again!

I'm not sure what your source is but the Cambridge AM1 you mention above is really excellent and at just £79.95 / €109.99 ( the euro prices include delivery) its fantastic value!
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10602-topaz-am1.aspx

You could add on the 9.0 wharfedales or the V1's but if it was me I'd try to spend a little more and go for the Mordaunt Short M20 - these compact bookshelf speakers work really well with the AM1 and at £99.95 / €129.99 are outstanding!
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200630-m20.aspx

If you went for the two together, we would throw in some decent matching speaker cable from Cambridge Audio, say 6 metres, and do the bundle including delivery (almost) bang on budget at €209.99!! ( reduced from an already cracking price of €249)

If you wanted to add one 'brill accessory - I'd recommend the QED Uplay Stream which will upgrade your system to allow it to stream via Apple or android or DLNA/ NAS drive  -  a great add on and hugely reduced at the moment from €139 to just €79 - its a bonkers price at under €80!
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12671-uplay-stream.aspx

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DavyC2

Hi guys,

Thanks.
    Hi Davy,

I know €200 isn't a lot but we can get you some decent sounding kit for you to get you bopping again!

I'm not sure what your source is but the Cambridge AM1 you mention above is really excellent and at just £79.95 / €109.99 ( the euro prices include delivery) its fantastic value!

You could add on the 9.0 wharfedales or the V1's but if it was me I'd try to spend a little more and go for the Mordaunt Short M20 - these compact bookshelf speakers work really well with the AM1 and at £99.95 / €129.99 are outstanding!

If you went for the two together, we would throw in some decent matching speaker cable from Cambridge Audio, say 6 metres, and do the bundle including delivery (almost) bang on budget at €209.99!! ( reduced from an already cracking price of €249)

If you wanted to add one 'brill accessory - I'd recommend the QED Uplay Stream which will upgrade your system to allow it to stream via Apple or android or DLNA/ NAS drive  -  a great add on and hugely reduced at the moment from €139 to just €79 - its a bonkers price at under €80!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

That sounds great, thanks John,

No real source at the moment, I was planning on using the music stored on my laptop, tablet and phone, will get a cd player when funds allow.

I love the simplicity of the AM1 (like myself), none of the stuff I'd hardly ever use anyway and with the M20's I'm sure it'll be able to blast out my Celine Dion collection :D . The QED sounds like a great little accessory but my Internet connection is fairly slow, the nearest thing I could get to a stream is the puddle of water outside my house :rolleyes:, I have a bluetooth receiver already so I can send the music I have stored already through that.

I'll PM you now with my details before I change my mind,

Thanks again.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi guys,

Thanks.
    Hi Davy,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

That sounds great, thanks John,

No real source at the moment, I was planning on using the music stored on my laptop, tablet and phone, will get a cd player when funds allow.

I love the simplicity of the AM1 (like myself), none of the stuff I'd hardly ever use anyway and with the M20's I'm sure it'll be able to blast out my Celine Dion collection :D . The QED sounds like a great little accessory but my Internet connection is fairly slow, the nearest thing I could get to a stream is the puddle of water outside my house :rolleyes:, I have a bluetooth receiver already so I can send the music I have stored already through that.

I'll PM you now with my details before I change my mind,

Thanks again.
    Hi Davy.

John may not pick up his PM's until tomorrow, so if you would like to forward the PM to myself also I can get the ball rolling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DavyC2

Received my AM1 and M20's on Tuesday, didn't get much of a chance to play with it yet but delighted with them so far, thanks again guys, great service.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Received my AM1 and M20's on Tuesday, didn't get much of a chance to play with it yet but delighted with them so far, thanks again guys, great service.
    Hi DavyC2.

Thanks very much!

Hopefully by now you are sitting down listening to your new system and enjoying some music.

If you ever require anything or have some question just drop me a post.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.