Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping prepped ginger and garlic in the fridge?

Options
  • 23-01-2015 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I use a lot of ginger and garlic and to speed things up with the prep, I tend to pulse them in a blender. If I was to put them into an airtight container in the fridge - how long will they last for? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

According to this link ...

http://www.ecurry.com/blog/condiments-dips-and-sauces/homemade-ginger-and-garlic-paste/

.. it's 5-7 days, but tbh I'd go down the route of freezing it in ice cube containers as suggested in the same link.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or if you keep a layer of oil on top, they will keep longer, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

oakshade wrote: »
    I use a lot of ginger and garlic and to speed things up with the prep, I tend to pulse them in a blender. If I was to put them into an airtight container in the fridge - how long will they last for? Thank you.

I buy the big jars of ginger & garlic paste from the Asian cash & carry, they last weeks in the fridge.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I buy the big jars of ginger & garlic paste from the Asian cash & carry, they last weeks in the fridge.

But don't really taste very fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

it will turn green after a couple of days, this is normal. Its still good to use for 7 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

My dad always purées a massive amount and freezes it in a block then takes shavings off the block as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tastes of sweaty armpit iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mrs Fox wrote: »

Not sure I want to know how you found that out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Yuck - and you know this from experience? :D

Freezing it will extend their best before date - for garlic and ginger - don't know about armpits, sweaty or not!
    You could thinly spread the paste on parchment paper and freeze - break off the amount needed, as and when...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I never found that, I have to say. Maybe it depends on the brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Alun wrote: »
    ....... tbh I'd go down the route of freezing it in ice cube containers as suggested in the same link.

I did this over the weekend and so far so good. I will report back on taste in a few weeks time. Thank you :)

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I never found that, I have to say. Maybe it depends on the brand.

Smell a jar of ginger, next to a piece of cut ginger. Huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

1 Month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I always chop up my ginger and keep it in a bag in the freezer. I just take out what I need and pop it in the dish. I've never tried it with garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm aware of this being food safety advice, but be very wary of prepping garlic in advance as it's unique in anything found in the common kitchen as a breeding ground for botulism
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/485148-eating-raw-garlic-botulism/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I blitz with some water and freeze in ice-cube trays. The water seems to prevent the garlic or ginger itself from getting freezer burn. It's along the same lines as frozen prawns with ice-jackets and they're really handy to have in the freezer. Obviously smaller 'cubes' are handier and silicone moulds make extraction easier.

If I'm prepping loads of garlic to blitz it makes life easier to separate the cloves, put in a jug and pour in some boiling water, leave for ten seconds and then drain. The skins slip off with much less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Aarti Sequeira makes this paste and keeps it in the fridge, which sounds like a handy option if you use a lot of garlic and ginger. Her stuff always looks so yummy!

Ginger Garlic Paste:

1/2 cup cloves garlic, whole

1/2 cup fresh ginger, peeled, 1/2-inch slices

1/4 cup canola oil

Throw the garlic, ginger, and canola oil in a mini-food processor and let it go until it forms a semi-smooth paste. There will still be tiny little pieces in there, but overall, it should resemble a paste. Any left overs can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 weeks.

Advertisement