Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashes on the N40

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I was on the Midleton to Cork road this morning and there was a large object in my lane ahead of me, so I slowed down, put on my warning lights - to advise driver behind me - I mean I gave plenty of warning - I couldn't tell if it was a large animal, human or what kind of object, as I got closer I could see it was part of a car/truck so it was safe for me to continue straight on my lane, as it wasn't going to move or cause any damage - so then I realised the car behind me was right up my a?se and waving his fists and making faces at me. I just couldn't believe it - I was trying to be a kind and careful driver and he just wanted to speed along without a care. I had caused him a huge delay of 2-3 seconds on his journey.

As for the Tunnel - I stick to the 80 kph speed limit and never change lane - because you're not supposed to and it's dangerous. One stupid, careless driver can cause a huge incident/accident in the tunnel because of their selfishness. A friend of mine in Switzerland told me a few years back the Government were so sick of careless drivers crashing in one of the major tunnels that they declared if there was one more crash the tunnel would be closed off and drivers would have to drive across the mountain roads which would mean creeping slowly in the snow. Not sure if that threat worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Looks to be another crash on it this evening, can see the traffic backed up over the Douglas flyover and a load of flashing lights & sirens were trying to get past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Judes wrote: »
    I was on the Midleton to Cork road this morning and there was a large object in my lane ahead of me, so I slowed down, put on my warning lights - to advise driver behind me - I mean I gave plenty of warning - I couldn't tell if it was a large animal, human or what kind of object, as I got closer I could see it was part of a car/truck so it was safe for me to continue straight on my lane, as it wasn't going to move or cause any damage - so then I realised the car behind me was right up my a?se and waving his fists and making faces at me. I just couldn't believe it - I was trying to be a kind and careful driver and he just wanted to speed along without a care. I had caused him a huge delay of 2-3 seconds on his journey.

As for the Tunnel - I stick to the 80 kph speed limit and never change lane - because you're not supposed to and it's dangerous. One stupid, careless driver can cause a huge incident/accident in the tunnel because of their selfishness. A friend of mine in Switzerland told me a few years back the Government were so sick of careless drivers crashing in one of the major tunnels that they declared if there was one more crash the tunnel would be closed off and drivers would have to drive across the mountain roads which would mean creeping slowly in the snow. Not sure if that threat worked.

I saw that large item of debris on the road this morning also. I did like you and slowed down with hazards etc. Guy behind took no notice and flew past me beeping his horn! Eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Traffic in the inside lane approaching the slip road of the KRR was at a complete standstill this morning due to people trying to merge at the very top and avoid queuing. Bloody morons, it's so tempting not to let anyone in, but I guess that only adds to the chaos. What's scary is the amount of trucks/lorries/professional drivers trying to pull this stunt. You'd think they would know better and act more responsibly considering the size of vehicle they're driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

ncmc wrote: »
    Traffic in the inside lane approaching the slip road of the KRR was at a complete standstill this morning due to people trying to merge at the very top and avoid queuing. Bloody morons, it's so tempting not to let anyone in, but I guess that only adds to the chaos. What's scary is the amount of trucks/lorries/professional drivers trying to pull this stunt. You'd think they would know better and act more responsibly considering the size of vehicle they're driving.
    Yup, saw it again - BMW in the inside lane heading towards the flyover driving 20-30km trying to squeeze in and forcing people headed towards the flyover into the fast lane

I did see 3 guards on their way out on motorcycles around the Sarsfield flyover but I think it's worth dropping a line to the guards and requesting that a presence be put on KRR to pull drivers over this stuff - it's incredibly dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The reason people keep doing this is because somebody always let's them in.
    Everyone : stop letting queue jumpers into traffic. They will learn to behave, eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It was ever thus...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Another crash this evening delaying things i believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Another crash this evening delaying things i believe

yet another two car collision this time in the overtaking lane by the RPH heading towards the kinsale road roundabout! :rolleyes:

if people could stop driving like assholes on that road, i think we'd all appreciate it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Crazy situation!

They badly need to put this in about halfway back to the Douglas on-ramp

ig_curb_1.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=555&height=312&rnd=130567268320000000

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

hoodwinked wrote: »
    yet another two car collision this time in the overtaking lane by the RPH heading towards the kinsale road roundabout! :rolleyes:

Could be wrong, but I'd swear that the car that hit the car in front was an unmarked Garda car - think I saw blue lights inside it. And he did a right job too - quite a bit of damage to his car.

Was headed towards the KRR from the Wilton side this evening and there was another crash on the opposite side headed towards the Sarsfield road roundabout - Gardaí on the scene - queue cars in front of me hitting the brakes to have a look / slow down when they see blue lights

Would love to see stats on crashes caused by rubbernecking like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Great thread. Delighted to know I'm not the only one incensed by all those selfish pricks clogging up the middle lane trying to skip the queue at the KRR exit heading west every morning.

Going in the opposite direction I'm always real wary of the cars merging onto the road coming from the KRR and the Carrigaline Road. I had a bad scare on the latter last year when a guy on his phone never checked his blind spot and pulled right into my lane causing me to swerve to avoid him. The way that that particular merge is on the back of a banked downhill road makes it extra dangerous as the cars are practically flung out into the main road.

People blatantly going through red lights as well. it's unbelievable some times. I'l actually wince as I see someone fly through a junction at 40mph a good second after the light has turned red.

I drove in New Zealand for 6 months. In that time I got 3 tickets (2 for speeding on the intercity highways, one for going through an orange light) and was randomly stopped on another 2 occasions at roadside checkpoints to be breathalysed.
    I've driven in Ireland for about 12 times that duration and I've never been stopped by the police and only driven through a handful of checkpoints. I don't think my driving is any better over here then it was over there. It's just that there are hardly any traffic police over here in comparison (I don't think the police would ever ticket you for running an orange light here either but that's a different debate).

Ultimately in this country for a considerable % of people, if they realise they can flaunt a rule with no reprecussions for themselves then they will do that regardless of the cost to others. The only solution therefore is to have more enforcement.

blindsider wrote: »
    Crazy situation!

They badly need to put this in about halfway back to the Douglas on-ramp

Or simply install a high resolution camera and hand out dangerous driving fines/court apperances for every idiot trying this trick, i am sure it would pay for the camera in no time, probably turn a major profit within a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I think that's because Ireland has no clear rule on merging, it's just a kind of merge when possible while giving way to people on the motorway already.

Whereas on the continent its use the entire slip road and then merge one for one (like a zipper) with cars on the motorway giving way to people joining the motorway.

Which IMO is far more efficient than leaving most of the slip road unused and causing a tailback way down the slip road probably onto a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Or simply install a high resolution camera and hand out dangerous driving fines/court apperances for every idiot trying this trick, i am sure it would pay for the camera in no time, probably turn a major profit within a month.

Great idea. However would it stand up if challenged in court?

Would it work on the basis that anybody trying to merge into the queue in any position would be seen to be guilty of dangerous driving?

What would happen if the queue was all the way back to the Douglas on-ramp?

Great idea. However would it stand up if challenged in court?

Would it work on the basis that anybody trying to merge into the queue in any position would be seen to be guilty of dangerous driving?

What would happen if the queue was all the way back to the Douglas on-ramp?
    Like most situations Gardai deal with it would obviously need a bit of a common sense approach.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Good to see some kind of enforcement happening on the South Ring :

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/567823551258058752

If only they were out at peak times

nomeban wrote: »
    Happens in the city centre too. Ive often walked at the green man only to nearly be flattened by a car. Imagine if I was actually blind and trusted that beeping noise! This happens a lot at the lights around the opera house.
    At the same time - I've seen multiple occurrences of pedestrians acting improperly at singers corner, had one or two people walk out in front of my car there and most recently while I was walking, noticed people straight up walking across and forcing a car going around the corner towards South Mall to stop and wait for circa 10 people to pass

That area is a complete mess, the last two times I've decided to go through town from the Mardyke have been disastrous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

D'Agger wrote: »
    At the same time - I've seen multiple occurrences of pedestrians acting improperly at singers corner, had one or two people walk out in front of my car there and most recently while I was walking, noticed people straight up walking across and forcing a car going around the corner towards South Mall to stop and wait for circa 10 people to pass

That area is a complete mess, the last two times I've decided to go through town from the Mardyke have been disastrous

While pedestrian stupidity is very annoying and unacceptable, a pedestrian is unlikely to kill anyone but themselves by J walking.
    Cars are big, heavy, fast and lethal to pedestrians. It's only a matter of time before a pedestrian in the city is run over at a pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Jay walking is a Cork institution!

While pedestrian stupidity is very annoying and unacceptable, a pedestrian is unlikely to kill anyone but themselves by J walking.
    Cars are big, heavy, fast and lethal to pedestrians. It's only a matter of time before a pedestrian in the city is run over at a pedestrian crossing.

Well the point I was making was that particular area of the city is a mess for drivers and pedestrians due to poor practices by both - there was no intent to single out either party for being at fault, both parties in that particular area aren't playing by the rules and like you've said, it'll ultimately catch somebody out

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

On my way home yesterday evening, traffic was stopped at the lights at the top of Grand Parade outside McDonalds. An Audi came over to the wrong side of the road to overtake the two cars in front of him, drove through the pedestrian crossing and *just* avoided a woman walking across (with a red light granted). And all for a single car's length as he waited in the queue to turn onto Washington Street. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

While that is true, never the less it is likely to have a huge impact on the psychology of the driver if they kill a pedestrian, even if it's the pedestrian's fault.

Also, on two separate occasions I've seen cars serve to avoid someone j-crossing the road, and almost end up knocking someone else down; so it's not just the idiot pedestrian that may end up seriously injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

That's a good point, it would be great to see j walking policed a bit better in Cork.
    A lot of pedestrians don't realise the consequences of what can happen if they don't cross at the correct time in the correct place.
    From my own experience of walking around cities in Europe you'd be knocked down pretty quick if you crossed a road in the manner people do in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

54kroc wrote: »
    That's a good point, it would be great to see j walking policed a bit better in Cork.
    A lot of pedestrians don't realise the consequences of what can happen if they don't cross at the correct time in the correct place.
    From my own experience of walking around cities in Europe you'd be knocked down pretty quick if you crossed a road in the manner people do in Cork.

Funny how peoples perceptions can differ. I just got back from 4 days in London last night and one of the things I noticed there as I was stopped waiting for a green man to cross roads with my kids was the amount of j-walking ALL OVER the place. It isn't something I take much notice of normally but did this time probably as I had to stop at every crossing with kids.
    Also nearly got knocked down a few times by people cycling on the footpath on their equivalent of the Coke bikes (another thing people make out only happens in Ireland) and finally noticed that 1 out of every 3 cars roughly there is a Prius :-)

Ludo wrote: »
    Funny how peoples perceptions can differ. I just got back from 4 days in London last night and one of the things I noticed there as I was stooped waiting for a green man to cross roads with my kids was the amount of j-walking ALL OVER the place. It isn't something I take much notice of normally but did this time probably as I had to stop at every crossing with kids.
    Also nearly got knocked down a few times by people cycling on the footpath on their equivalent of the Coke bikes (another thing people make out only happens in Ireland) and finally noticed that 1 out of every 3 cars roughly there is a Prius :-)
    Interestingly I got back from 4 days in Berlin and they have a similar system to the USA regarding being able to turn right on a red light if there's no pedestrian traffic - so to that end, as a pedestrian, unless it was very safe to do so - you waited for the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just to add my own experience from today.

I joined the ring road at Broomfield, was exiting at KRR, merged into the exit lane about half way along between Douglas exit and the roundabout. Lady in a mini was in front of me. She indicated out and joined the ring road, slowed down a bit and I ended up side by side, then just near the end of the merging lane she decided to come back in, I had to slam on to avoid her hitting me and let her back in...
    Idiot!

I seen a buck in a blue A4 well a fancy looking one and he was all over the road, when I passed him he was trying to put on his long johns..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Lastest one I seen was a lady eating a bowl of cereal from her lap while on the N40, but you don't have to go far to find someone talking on the phone while weaving in and out of their lane, I can almost pick out the drivers who are on the phone when I'm behind them just by their road position, lane hogging, not indicating, never looking before changing lanes - all while distracted and driving one handed - impressive lack of concern for their own lives.

Advertisement