Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adrian Chiles dumped as ITV lead anchor, Mark Pougatch replaces him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

This and the news about Andy Townsend not getting his contract renewed, is great.

The thing is, UTV probably won't have much football to show over the next few years after losing rights to the CL. Think they're planning on challenging BBC for MoTD though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given that ITV have nothing other than CL highlights and the odd tournie like ACN its not much of a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The money ITV paid to poach Chiles and Bleakley from the BBC cost something like £10m in wages over the last 4 years and both turned out to be complete disasters for ITV.

Chiles contract would have been up in the summer so I guess by ITV doing this they are making it clear the won't be renewing it.

As long as he doesn't turn up on BT or SKY and stays off my tv I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I know hes with the bbc but please let mark lawrenson be the next pundit to be shown the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I always liked Chiles and Townsend too. I don't even know who Pougatch is so can't comment on him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Pougatch did a lot of work over the years on 5 Live - he's a decent radio journo, don't know about TV though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's surprising it's with immediate effect. Didn't mind Chiles. I don't know anyone who has been successful moving from BBC to ITV...so why do they keep doing it at great expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

dfx- wrote: »
    It's surprising it's with immediate effect. Didn't mind Chiles. I don't know anyone who has been successful moving from BBC to ITV...so why do they keep doing it at great expense.

That's why! Childes pocketed more than all of the euozone Prime Minsters put together last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Chiles did a good job on MOTD 2 but he was never going to make the leap to ITV.
    His buffoonery style of hosting was entertaining in small doses but it grew tiresome even near the end of his MOTD2 stint.
    He seemed to become a parody of himself on ITV ,completely acting the idiot .

ITV seem to think that they can just poach presenters from other channels and they will replicate their success,its not as easy as that ,its more often the production people and format that are the key factor in success not the presenter.

Hopefully the BBC give Lineker the boot next ,I'd much rather have Mark Chapman hosting Match of the Day ,far superior presenter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I was looking at it from ITV's point of view, why keep appointing them when they mostly fail at great expense. Pougatch is ok on 5 live, but he's not Oldroyd or Chapman in that pecking order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

A great day for football viewers, Interesting stat from Adrian: Steven Gerrard has never lost a game in which he's scored a last minute winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

"Adrian Chiles looks like a toby mug filled with hot piss"

Stewart Lee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

In 2013, Chiles earned £4.6m

Sweet Jesus and the divine mother of Bethlehem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Thanks goodness TBH , he was frankly terrible ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Hopefully the BBC give Lineker the boot next ,I'd much rather have Mark Chapman hosting Match of the Day ,far superior presenter.

Rumors are he'll be off to BT Sports if they win the rights to the Premier League. Apparently the BBC would have to let him go because they can't justify his salary without MOTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Good for ITV he's gone next Townsend and Dixon please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Good for ITV he's gone next Townsend and Dixon please

Good news Townsend is already gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

This is magnificent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Great to see Chiles gone, and while Townsend's commentary may not of been of high quality I always liked the sound of his voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Great to see Chiles gone, and while Townsend's commentary may not of been of high quality I always liked the sound of his voice.

So did he. He never shut up during a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Please don't replace him with pat Dolan. He should be banned off all football punditry. I don't watch setanta when he is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is a God !!

I don't hate many folk, but Jez I hated watching football when Chiles was anywhere near it, an absolute tube of a man. Really hated his 'bloke down the pub' style of presenting. He suited ITV, both awful.

Glad to see the back of Townsend too, generally poor.

By all accounts, Linekar is a complete arsehole. Know of someone who worked in White Hart Lane and said no one could stand him.

I have no inside line on Chiles mind you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think Pougatch is suited for a role like this. He has one of those journalist-type voices that make him sound like he should be deputy political editor of the BBC. He's okay hosting a cup draw but not a programme imo.

Suppose it doesn't matter to me though seeing as I lost ITV when UTV Ireland came along. I'll probably have to make do with watching James Nesbitt touring around Ireland while the football's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

By all accounts, Linekar is a complete arsehole. Know of someone who worked in White Hart Lane and said no one could stand him.

I have no inside line on Chiles mind you...

Love this kind of gossip. Any more info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

quarryman wrote: »

You do know he sh&t himself on the pitch during a World Cup game v Ireland?

quarryman wrote: »

Loads around the www, nothing illegal mind you.

I just heard he was a total arsehole, horrible to everyone, all the time, but clicking on the toothy smile for the tv camera.

Advertisement