Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freelance 3D Modelling

• 23-01-2015 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Not sure if this is the right section but here it goes.

I'm currently employed full time in an architect's office as an architectural technician. I've been here for a year full time and almost 2 years part time before that. I am quite proficient at Sketchup and we do a lot of our projects through Sketchup and Layout, which isn't very common in Ireland but that's another matter. Anyway, I am thinking of offering my 3D modelling services to other architect's as an aside to my full time employment. I would be doing it completely independent from my regular work and would offer full confidentiality between my current employer and anyone who wishes to use my services. The services I would offer would be light conceptual models and maybe some small detail communication work (e.g. trying to relay a complex detail idea that is difficult to convey through traditional 2D drawings). I wouldn't be interested in getting into the heavier side of a technician's work (detailed drawings, specifications, planning preparation etc.) as I do plenty of that at work, just purely visualisations to show the client or to aid a planning application (montages etc.).

How viable would this idea be and would there be a market for this? What would be the legalities of offering these services as a "nixer"?

Theoretically, I could offer these services purely over the phone and through email/dropbox so I could potentially be used by anyone anywhere in the country without having to have face to face meetings.

Any comments or observations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ruthie23

Hey

I just sent you a private message
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

for Legalities you'd have to read your current contract, and also disclose any new earnings to the taxman.

3d wise, isn't Sketch-up a bit unprofessional, I mean does it offer good enough final quality renders of fly-throughs with various cameras, lighting, textures and environments etc?
    3DMax and Cinema4D could be the most powerful-versatile. You could jump into product visualisations, and perhaps 3DPrinting once it matures and demand increases for it a bit more.

You could access the global market, simply by using the crowd-sourced websites, but it's mostly speculative-competition based work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jsn.mcclintock

Joe Doe wrote: »
    for Legalities you'd have to read your current contract, and also disclose any new earnings to the taxman.

3d wise, isn't Sketch-up a bit unprofessional, I mean does it offer good enough final quality renders of fly-throughs with various cameras, lighting, textures and environments etc?
    3DMax and Cinema4D could be the most powerful-versatile. You could jump into product visualisations, and perhaps 3DPrinting once it matures and demand increases for it a bit more.

You could access the global market, simply by using the crowd-sourced websites, but it's mostly speculative-competition based work.

The notion that Sketchup is unprofessional is a huge misrepresentation, I have been using it in here for about 3 years to both produce 2D technical/planning drawings and 3D conceptual images. It is versatile enough to produce quick sketches and also to produce more in-depth, photo-realistic renders fairly quickly. To me, the already established software packages that you have already mention seem a bit heavy, Sketchup is more lightweight but there are multitudes of add-ons and extensions that you can pick and choose from to bring it up to the level of the more "professional" packages.

We have had success in sharing Sketchup models with clients for them to view and navigate through on their own using a stripped-back model viewer and just last week I produced a 4D model incorporating a timeline into the model to show the complex choreography and deadlines of a project we are working on. Of course, I am forever a student so I am always open to new and better ways to do things.

If I was to try and venture out into doing one-off models for individuals or professional firms, what would be the best way of getting my service out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Fair point it is becoming a bit more standard and widespread. But the main packages (not forgetting Maya) could offer more routes into character animations, detailed 3DP prototypes and imports in to stuff like after effects, fcp etc. Have been using Photoshop for about 20yrs, unlikely ever to switch to one of the 'free bitmap packages'.

Crowd sourced design solutions is an inevitable evil of sorts. Still in it's infancy it seems unlikely to halt. As the old saying goes if you can't beat them, join them. It's the Uber cab of the older established agencies.

Trouble is... you could be competing directly with thousands of decently skilled sweatshop folks from places like Jakarta and San Paulo who will work for peanuts. Being spec. work, there is no guarantee of success nor payment. Only really suited to folks that can knock out high volume quality in the blink of an eye, set-up on tri-fold displays, shortcut labeled boards all feed by fast water cooled processors.

http://www.crowdspring.com
    http://3d.designcrowd.com
    www.99designs.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

[QUOTE=jsn.mcclintock;94322512
    I am forever a student so I am always open to new and better ways to do things.

If I was to try and venture out into doing one-off models for individuals or professional firms, what would be the best way of getting my service out there?[/QUOTE]

Get learning autodesk revit so, that program is miles ahead of sketchup, trust me, i use it on a daily basis ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 jsn.mcclintock

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Fair point it is becoming a bit more standard and widespread. But the main packages (not forgetting Maya) could offer more routes into character animations, detailed 3DP prototypes and imports in to stuff like after effects, fcp etc. Have been using Photoshop for about 20yrs, unlikely ever to switch to one of the 'free bitmap packages'.

Crowd sourced design solutions is an inevitable evil of sorts. Still in it's infancy it seems unlikely to halt. As the old saying goes if you can't beat them, join them. It's the Uber cab of the older established agencies.

Trouble is... you could be competing directly with thousands of decently skilled sweatshop folks from places like Jakarta and San Paulo who will work for peanuts. Being spec. work, there is no guarantee of success nor payment. Only really suited to folks that can knock out high volume quality in the blink of an eye, set-up on tri-fold displays, shortcut labeled boards all feed by fast water cooled processors.

I think you may have picked me up wrong, the 3D services I would be offering would be purely architectural based.
    Get learning autodesk revit so, that program is miles ahead of sketchup, trust me, i use it on a daily basis ;)

I can see the benefits in using Revit, I have dabbled in it a bit but I can't match the speed at which I can rattle out a good model in Sketchup in Revit. Revit would be more if I was going more in-depth in the specification of a building, the service I would be offering is purely a 3D visualisation of 2D plans for building owners or for architects to show clients their ideas in 3D. One thing I've learned is that you can't overestimate someone's understanding of a 2D drawing. Generally I've found that clients have difficulties visualising a 2D drawing. From the small amount of time I have spent using Revit, I find it to be quite stiff and limiting in its modelling capabilities. I find using Sketchup a lot more organic for just modelling a building with no additional BIM in the background.

We are going to be making the switch to Revit at some point here in the office but for this venture, I think the simplicity of Sketchup would make it more suitable for me to use.

Advertisement