Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox one increased spam over last two weeks ?

• 23-01-2015 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Any one else noticing in the last two or three weeks that they recieve live messages to state they won an xbox one or iphone 5 and to head off to an external site to sign up with your email address ??

I have blocked the users , its just concerning now that live gamer-tags are now being targeted for spam ?? Did the usual report n block .

Didn't win the iphone or the xbox dammit. !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

dbit wrote: »
    Any one else noticing in the last two or three weeks that they recieve live messages to state they won an xbox one or iphone 5 and to head off to an external site to sign up with your email address ??

I have blocked the users , its just concerning now that live gamer-tags are now being targeted for spam ?? Did the usual report n block .

Didn't win the iphone or the xbox dammit. !
    I've never "won" a free iPhone or Xbox One, but I am frequently lucky enough to offered fifa coins for very cheap. Haven't noticed a particular uptake in the last couple of weeks, I usually get a couple a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I played Fifa purely because it was on EA Access and keep getting spam about buying coins. I just delete and block. Getting annoying though.

Haven't received anything like the OP though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Now you mention it I did get my 1st one of those last night actually. Can't recall the tag but started with W ...... ending in 93 I think it was.

Blocked and reported also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

rizzla wrote: »
    I played Fifa purely because it was on EA Access and keep getting spam about buying coins. I just delete and block. Getting annoying though.

Haven't received anything like the OP though.

Ye i got two separate ones, the live names looked randomly generated but close in the character sections within the names. These arrived over two week period so i guess its not as bad as an inbox at work , but still concerning that this platform is being targeted .

Some years ago i was fifa hacked on 360 , i hate all sports games and wouldn't spend a penny on sports paraphernalia period. Still they stung me for almost 200 euro. Now the funny part of back then was the flow of events .

1. Playing away one night around midnight signed out of live with " youve been signed in on another console"

2. Immediate upon reading that message i thought WTF ? and went to security section ( All done on xbox console only no web browser or pc used in following steps)

3. Changed password engaged feature to not allow sign in on another console - also set secret key press as additional security to the acc ( Right trig, left trig, L dpad , down dpad - for example)

4. signed back on with new password and sec features all done on xbox only . 10 mins later signed in on another console again.

5. called support asking ~WTF they said agh its nothing go away.

NExt morning i awake to find an email thanking me for my purchase of up to 200 euro of FIfa stuff.

6. called support again and advised - boom lost my account for december as they investigated my claims.

7. After the month i get an advisory telling me about the whoa's of using browsers . malware sniffing passwords etc . They totally ignored that fact that all increased security steps were carried out upon the console itself and no possibility of a third party intrusion would have been possible via browser infected malware or virus. Additionally i never use the same password for any system in fear that system may be breeched.

So ye i am not too confident in Live's integrity based on that .

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I got one of those for the first time yesterday too.

• Advertisement

Another one just there different tag same deal go to www win an xbox

Possibly a script engaged against multiple incognito browsers sessions auto sending to mass amounts of users. Sad fnckers man.

MS need to look into spam blocking in that no one account can send large volumes of messages outbound . Its not a mail platform yet its starting to behave like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

☆★☆Most professional FIFA Coins Vendor! ※Lowest Price & 5 Mins Delivery! ※100% Safe & 100% Fast! ※Use Coupon Code: "RZ" for 6% off ◆◇◆ <SNIP>

Mod: Guys don't post the URLS please, some out there can't resist a click on stuff like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

^
    get these messages around once a week. Normally around 5am and smartglass beeps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I don't get any spam messages.

Could be in relation to specific games that are played?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

I received one of those spam messages yesterday, blocked it straight away.

I don't get any spam messages.

Could be in relation to specific games that are played?

Hard to know without knowing what they are using , I doubt they are just using scripts / bots to fire off messages to every random letter number combo and have a list of tags to use. They would also be going though xbox.com to create new accounts over and over to send the messages from too.

I know sites like trueachievemnts can track every xbox gamer member or not from the scraps they use etc. so I guess the spammers are pretty much using the same thing TA used with permission and for a legitimate use.

The spammers could do the same and target players of any game with specific and related messages.

Have you privacy settings on your account ?

Advertisement