Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Garmin???

• 23-01-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I am thinking of getting a garmin, but not sure which one to choose. I have the option of getting the 305, 500 or 705. All come with hr monitor and cadence sensor and all roughly the same price. Any advice on which would be best for training.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'd get the 705. You can get free maps for it off the web which are handy to have for navigation. If navigation is not important to you, get the 500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

If you plan on doing long touring spins go for the 705 as mentioned above ^

But if maps isn't something that you need the 500 is a sweet piece of kit! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You can do pretty decent breadcrumb trails on the 500. I have completed 200/300km Audaxs following a edge 500 breadcrumb trail in the past with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

I've the 500 and agree with the above, a great, reliable, and simple computer. However I have just come across an issue which may or may not be relevant for the future. I have just got a dynamo hub for lights when audaxing and touring with a usb charger. The 500 is strangely the only Garmin edge which you cant use and charge at the same time, so may have to change mine when I get the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

db76 wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting a garmin, but not sure which one to choose. I have the option of getting the 305, 500 or 705. All come with hr monitor and cadence sensor and all roughly the same price. Any advice on which would be best for training.

if money is no object, get all 3 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

bazermc wrote: »
    if money is no object, get all 3 :eek:

If money is not object, get the Garmin 1000 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I've had the 705 and am currently using the 500. The 500 is all you need.

Although the 500 does basic tcx route navication ,its not as quick to display turns as the 705, but the battery life is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭db76

I've had the 705 and am currently using the 500. The 500 is all you need.

Although the 500 does basic tcx route navication ,its not as quick to display turns as the 705, but the battery life is much better.

Looks very much like the 500 is the one to go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I have the 305 and it's a great bit of kit.
    I thought about upgrading it (as I thought)to the 500 when it first came out but when I compared the specs the 305 had 1 thing the 500 had that I wasn't willing to lose!!
    I can't remember what it was though!!(5 years or so ago)
    So be worth comparing the specs.
    It was something pretty significant.
    However the 500 seems to be a seriously popular piece of kit.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭nilhg

darkvalley wrote: »
    I've the 500 and agree with the above, a great, reliable, and simple computer. However I have just come across an issue which may or may not be relevant for the future. I have just got a dynamo hub for lights when audaxing and touring with a usb charger. The 500 is strangely the only Garmin edge which you cant use and charge at the same time, so may have to change mine when I get the cash.

It can be done, but you need a non standard cable, more info here,

http://www.tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/garmin-edge-500.1649/page-3#post-18119

http://www.tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/garmin-edge-500.1649/page-3#post-18123

This battery pack has the correct tip included, should allow almost unlimited distance on Audax style events if you don't have a dynamo.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gomadic-Portable-Battery-Pack-Garmin/dp/B0041L0NG0/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3PSKEB89MZ5CS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭db76

Zyzz wrote: »
    If you plan on doing long touring spins go for the 705 as mentioned above ^

But if maps isn't something that you need the 500 is a sweet piece of kit! :)

No won't be using for touring spins, only going to be used for training & commuting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

+ 1 for the 500. simple and effective bit of kit.. anecdotally seems to be a bit more weather-resistant than some of the other models too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

I would recommend the 500, you should check out the adverts section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

500 is the best of the three options, really good value at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 on the 500. Only issues I've had with mine were dropping it on a hard floor and putting it in a washing machine with all my gear (not on the same day). Each time, I wrecked the screen, but the unit worked perfectly afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 500. For those 510 owners, did the recent update improve the device stability?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've a 500, really no need for anything more. I don't use it for navigation anymore. The amount of "off course" beeps you get is insane, I'd rather wing it from memory than put up with the beeps.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement