Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video recording club games

• 23-01-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi there,

Do many clubs record their games nowadays for analysis? I can imagine it would be very worthwhile.

Is there any issue with GAA and copyright or some such problem?

Any ideas what kind of cost you'd be talking?

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Have a look here. http://www.thevideoanalyst.com/

He is on twitter Rob Carroll
    https://twitter.com/thevideoanalyst

Also on twitter have a look at Ray Boyne
    https://twitter.com/AnalysisGAA

Both great twitter handles and may have an answer for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

I think you may have to get permission from your county board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

oisinog wrote: »
    Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Well if it is a juvenile team permission from each of the kids parents is needed i would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have been to many juvenile tournaments and taken video and photographs with no complaints

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

oisinog wrote: »
    Well if it is a juvenile team permission from each of the kids parents is needed i would imagine.

not wanting to be creating a discussion on it, but if you dont know, then dont say anything. Giving misleading information is taken by some as fact.

As per the GAA Code of Best Practice, see section 7 - Guidelines on the use of photographic images and maintaining web sites in GAA clubs

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/child_welfare/GAA_Code_of_Best_Practice_in_Youth_Sport_100110204341.pdf

In it, it states:
    Taking photographs of players, using web sites to publicise GAA activities and the videoing of events, games, training and coaching sessions are normal daily activities within most GAA clubs. The GAA Code of Best Practice in Youth Sport does not seek in any way to eliminate or curtail these activities but proposes certain safeguards so as to ensure that we minimise the risk or threats that inappropriate use of photographs or the recording of images may pose, particularly for young people.

A common sense approach is required when deciding on what may or may not be appropriate as we do not wish to prohibit the recording of games, coaching or celebrations at club level through the use of photography or by recording on video equipment.

Photography and the recording of images in a public place do not generally require explicit or prior consent.

When a child is registered with a club, it should be within the clubs conditions that registering a child gives consent to recording or photos. This is standard practice across the country. Parents have a right to object or make a complaint and recording or photos stopped if they feel necessary. Also note, that clubs have no control over media photos or recording, so to start stopping clubs would be silly.

So you do not need explicit consent, think of the practicalities of going to the opposition team and getting all the parents consent. You do no need the permission of the county board.

As for the OP's question and costs, there are a lot who video games at higher levels of competition. Costs for video only would be about €100 (obviously varying on shopping around). To get analysis completed on top of that would depend on what analysis you want and what type of analysis or who does it. But you could be looking at the same type of cost again and possible slightly more for a video analysis to be edited and submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

trg wrote: »
    Hi there,

Do many clubs record their games nowadays for analysis? I can imagine it would be very worthwhile.

Is there any issue with GAA and copyright or some such problem?

Any ideas what kind of cost you'd be talking?

Thanks folks

Most senior clubs would. It's very worthwhile alright as long as it's analysed properly. An analysis session should be no more than 5/10 minutes.

You need to send an email to Co Board about it or to divisional board. If anything happens, in the game, they'll want the raw footage so best to video the ground at any melee's.

Cost: Camera €200. Tripod €100. You could obviously get better or worse but a decent HD camcorder and a decent tripod should be gettable for about €300.

Check out Longomatch software for tagging (it's free). Windows Movie Maker will do a job but best trying to source a better video editor, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

A controversial goal in the Dublin SFC a couple of years ago ended up on youtube and the Dublin CCC were quick enough to advise all clubs they'd need permission to record games. Whether its enforced or not I've no idea as many clubs do record games

howiya wrote: »
    A controversial goal in the Dublin SFC a couple of years ago ended up on youtube and the Dublin CCC were quick enough to advise all clubs they'd need permission to record games. Whether its enforced or not I've no idea as many clubs do record games

difference between recording a game for statistical use and publishing a game online for public viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have published games on youtube for public viewing...never got complaints in fact most parents were glad to see the games again , however if somebody complained I would take it down

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I have published games on youtube for public viewing...never got complaints in fact most parents were glad to see the games again , however if somebody complained I would take it down

most wouldnt mind. some counties are trying to expand in their social media and that, so some would want the rights for publishing games online. That would be few and far between though. And as you say, its fine unless someone complains.

Advertisement