Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to download internet explorer to a usb ?

Options
  • 23-01-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi, Wondering if I could ask some advice (total novice here) - I'm going to try and download Internet explorer (and google chrome) to a usb key , so I can re-load it onto a windows xp laptop.

My question is - do I need to format the usb key first - its just one I usually have plugged into the saorview box to record tv.

When I have downloaded internet explorer onto the usb key and then plug it into the laptop - will be be obvious what to do to then download internet explorer on the laptop ?

Thanks for any suggestions / advice on how to do this (I can't download internet directly onto the computer as its version of internet is corrupted and won't download anything.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,687 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It will normally be a setup.exe file or similarly named .exe file that you just need to open on the XP machine.

Internet Explorer 8 is the newest version that will run on XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

just download the chrome setup files here put that on to the usb no need to format it just ensure there is enough room

Install the chrome/firefox on the xp machine and use this to get anything else you need

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

For chrome, search for the offline installer (I can not post links) to get the full offline installer. The default one is only a small file and downloads the rest during installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, what's right now on the laptop? is there any browser there? Internet connection? If there is no internet connection the "off line" installers won't be any good for you, but it there is internet access and a browser you don't need the usb key.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

PrzemoF wrote: »
    OP, what's right now on the laptop? is there any browser there? Internet connection? If there is no internet connection the "off line" installers won't be any good for you, but it there is internet access and a browser you don't need the usb key.

i think the op is referring to the version of IE that comes with Xp is so old it doesn't work on a lot of sites so its unusable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

http://www.srware.net/downloads/IronPortable.zip is a portable version of SRWare Iron (like Chrome but doesn't spy on you). You can run it off the USB stick or copy it to hard disk.

Have to say exposing XP to the internet can't really be recommended these days

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

PrzemoF wrote: »

I've got a Vodafone 3g broadband modem connection to the internet. The internet explorer on the laptop is corrupted and won't download anything or open pages properly. (i've been asking for help with it over on the virus and malwear forum too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭whizbang

Look up 'Reset TCP Stack /Winsock, you might have to reinstall any 3g software also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

To be honest, I wouldnt be a big fan of using XP on the internet anymore, and I certainly wouldnt be a fan of using Internet Explorer in XP. If you must, download a third party browser - any of them would be far better than IE at this point, due to XP and its components not receiving security updates anymore. Chrome and Firefox are still supported on the XP platform so would be better to use at this stage (although still nowhere near being secure on an unsupported OS).

• Advertisement
Advertisement