Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade machine.

Options
  • 23-01-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Item: Arcade machine wanted.
    Price: Up to €200.
    Post/Collection : Collection
    Payment Method : Cash.

Wanted Arcade machine. Fully working, very tight budget of about 200 maybe more. First time buyer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Cool I have a nourat Poker convert with a spiderman 4 player PCB in it wired up for jamma with a custom built 8 button panel, screen is good , but could do with a bit of love and care. If you dont want the spidey PCB, I have a game elf jamma vertical board 412 in 1 games either. I can take photos and stick them up later, if you want the 412 board you will need to rotate the screen. http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?catid=76348&subcatid=0&pdtid=624675

I think I have a few photos on my flickr. I need to make space so it has to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

safetyboy wrote: »
    Cool I have a nourat Poker convert with a spiderman 4 player PCB in it wired up for jamma with a custom built 8 button panel, screen is good , but could do with a bit of love and care. If you dont want the spidey PCB, I have a game elf jamma vertical board 412 in 1 games either. I can take photos and stick them up later, if you want the 412 board you will need to rotate the screen. http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?catid=76348&subcatid=0&pdtid=624675

I think I have a few photos on my flickr. I need to make space so it has to go :)

Nice. Yeah pics would help me as I'm a total novice with what you have just said. Lol

Will do later, heres the panel layout.

sega2_s.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ronan,

Can you please edit your first post and fill in the template as per the Marketplace charter.

ITEM: [What are you Selling\Trading\Giving Away\Looking For]
    POST\COLLECTION: [Do you post\Collection Only\Delivery\Meetup]
    PRICE: [Selling Price\Wanted- "Willing to Pay"\Free\Trade]
    PAYMENT METHODS: [Paypal\Cash\Postal Order\Bank Transfer]

Link to charter

The template must be filled in for all items on the marketplace.

Thanks a lot

Her is a quick pic as the missus is at home, needs a bit of dusting and a few stickers removed. I was using the MVS cart in it and it works great. Good project to tidy up.

336121.jpg

• Advertisement

safetyboy wrote: »
    Her is a quick pic as the missus is at home, needs a bit of dusting and a few stickers removed. I was using the MVS cart in it and it works great. Good project to tidy up.

336121.jpg

Looks a very nice project but I won't know the first how to go about taking bits and piece out etc ....

Well its fully working as is, but if you want to learn about Jamma and Wiring its a good place to start, just stay clear of the monitor tube if you fancy staying alive :) loads of help on the forum here if you ever need it.

The control panel is 2 pieces of perspex sandwiched together so you can add your own art of whatever in between the buttons.

Hadnt a clue about any of it myself a few years ago, ive 8 cabs in my kitchen now! you pick it up as you go along, that cab looks like a great starter to learn and the price is good. You will pick it up no bothers and ask away on the forum, the lads know their stuff!

I would try it lads but the only arcade knowledge I have are the games plus I wouldn't be physically able to be taking part apart etc beside getting electrocuted! Haha I've just had my second kidney transplant. I can clean it up that's about it.. Building was never my forte ;-)

If your not willing to learn this hobby isn't for you.
    Things go wrong and need fixing all the time. Every body's gotta learn about jamma wiring. Its super simple

• Advertisement

If your not willing to learn this hobby isn't for you.
    Things go wrong and need fixing all the time. Every body's gotta learn about jamma wiring. Its super simple

Yes I can look into that but I'm sure many have just wanted to buy a working machine for home use. That's reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Yes I can look into that but I'm sure many have just wanted to buy a working machine for home use. That's reliable.

true but not for that price, stuff will break, no matter what.

unfortunately most of them are 20+ years old and need maintenance.
    If you want reliability get a PC with an LCD and a Ipac interface.
    You probably wont get all that inside your budget tho

unfortunately most of them are 20+ years old and need maintenance.
    If you want reliability get a PC with an LCD and a Ipac interface.
    You probably wont get all that inside your budget tho

What are the price ranges for such a machine and where can it be bought?

Your best bet is to buy an empty shell and do the rest yourself,
    they do come up time to time all done.
    I sold one myself here not too long ago.
    Mostly overpriced ****e on adverts and dungdeal.

Sure the skys the limit on a PC,same goes for the screen .
    Ipac and buttons would be 100-120 then you gotta wire it and do the software .
    Even the software will take weeks to work out.

Your best bet is to buy an empty shell and do the rest yourself,
    they do come up time to time all done.
    I sold one myself here not too long ago.
    Mostly overpriced ****e on adverts and dungdeal.

Sure the skys the limit on a PC,same goes for the screen .
    Ipac and buttons would be 100-120 then you gotta wire it and do the software .
    Even the software will take weeks to work out.

As I said at the top. A finished product or near is what I am looking for. Plus my lack of building skill etc have been mentioned. Is there anywhere in Ireland?

no,
    not for 200e

no,
    not for 200e

I know that but if it means saving a bit longer then how much and where?

Whats wrong with satfyboys one?
    ld almost take that!

• Advertisement

Whats wrong with satfyboys one?
    ld almost take that!

No required skill I've have to restore it etc. I've already said this twice in the thread! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah as the lads said, 200 euro is 'needs some work' territory.

Your options are basically this;

100-500 jamma woody (will probably need to be cleaned up, need the monitor chassis sent off for a recap, at very least it'll need new sticks and buttons)

500-1000 MAME cabinet already built (low maintenance, but a lot of them look a bit shoddy, so be careful what you go for)

500-2000 import a candy from Rklok in the Netherlands.

The only one in the above that can be 'pointed to', as in to give you a source to get one is the last one.

All the rest you just have to watch adverts/donedeal and wait and see what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

3385599000131230164857.jpeg

If it was me I'd be going for Safetyboy's
    It's working out of the box, I'm sure someone wouldn't mind banging you together a 2 player panel for the right money if that's what you need!

or give mitchomagic a PM

Hi,

Can you please setup your own for sale thread if you want to sell your cab and negotiate back and forth. This is a wanted thread for ronanc1000. I dont think its fair to take over the thread selling the cab to someone else.

Thanks a lot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wouldn't be too afraid of replacing buttons and sticks, of you can change a light bulb a lot of the maintenance on an upright is handy.
    Once it's working, the screen is decent and the PSU runs the jamma boards fine you are there.
    The rest is little stuff that is a hobby to repair and improve, like replacing moldings and so on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

this man , he speaks the truth .
    you wont really see a ready to go cabinet for 200 , unless you get very very lucky.
    I know you dont want to go down the build your own route , but an old wooden cab , an old 19' LCD monitor (the purists will spit their tea out at this, but do it right and it'll look great), a pc from the last 10 years (newer for really new arcade games) and a jpac adaptor ,is something you might get for that price ,
    Pull everything out of the cab (monitor , psu, etc, you might need to discharge the monitor, a bit of googling will show you how , its the only awkward part of the build. ) bar the sticks and buttons.
    the cables connect to the cable the sticks and buttons are connected to(its called a jamma loom).put the pc in the bottom of the cab, put the monitor where the original crt was (you might have to nail 2 peices of wood as 'base' to sit it on.
    Install Mame (google it!) and get roms (mp3 downloading style illeagal so I cant say how , but , google is your friend).
    install a program to allow you pick games (mGalaxy is an easy /free one)
    the rest is fine tuning it , adding marquees and artwork if you want , messing with windows to get it to boot straight to the games.
    Any MAME cab you buy for 500+ is basically someone doing this.

Oh god no, I couldn't think of any worse way to play arcade games.
    Seriously that's a lot of work which the OP didn't want to do, configuring MAME/front end/wiring/etc.
    A simple JAMMA cab with original CRT and a JAMMA multiboard/multigame MVS Cart is so much quicker and easier to maintain/setup, adding a couple of extra buttons is just tapping into the loom, you are talking minutes work vs days work and you have a proper arcade which will look/feel and play 1million times better than a PC with an LCD.

Maybe an arcade cabinet just isn't for you, It's like any hobby, you wouldn't buy a classic car unless you were prepared to at least, top up oil/coolant, trouble shoot issues as they arise. There is alternatives like an original XBox running coinops.

Oh god no, I couldn't think of any worse way to play arcade games.
    Seriously that's a lot of work which the OP didn't want to do, configuring MAME/front end/wiring/etc.
    A simple JAMMA cab with original CRT and a JAMMA multiboard/multigame MVS Cart is so much quicker and easier to maintain/setup, adding a couple of extra buttons is just tapping into the loom, you are talking minutes work vs days work and you have a proper arcade which will look/feel and play 1million times better than a PC with an LCD.
    Ah you're being a bit elitist.
    Theres enough under the hood stuff in mame that it can distort/pincushion/scanline the hell out of an image to make it look good(or bad!), as good as an original crt.Plus its usually behind plexiglass .As for play and feel!..its identical (unless you pick a really unusual game which isnt emulated properly, and in fairness you're not going to find a board for one of those cheaply or easily .
    I've that setup and its perfect. played a few games on it , and then a day later the same ones on a multiboard cab with CRT, and there was no difference.
    Anyway its about cost
    ..buying a cab with a working jamma loom/psu and crt with enough change to pick up a board isnt something you could do for 200 quid. the MAME route is though.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Ah you're being a bit elitist.
    Theres enough under the hood stuff in mame that it can distort/pincushion/scanline the hell out of an image to make it look good(or bad!), as good as an original crt.Plus its usually behind plexiglass .As for play and feel!..its identical (unless you pick a really unusual game which isnt emulated properly, and in fairness you're not going to find a board for one of those cheaply or easily .
    I've that set up and its perfect. played a few games on it , and then a day later the same ones on a multiboard cab with CRT, and there was no difference.
    Anyway its about cost
    ..buying a cab with a working jamma loom/psu and crt with enough change to pick up a board isnt something you could do for 200 quid. the MAME route is though.
    I don't think I am
    I just think if someone's gonna play mame in a cab they should do it properly and build a mame to jamma adapter, this way they can still play originals, or build from scratch if they are going to use a full PC and LCD setup. I don't agree there's no difference, not without hours of tweaking resolutions, mame settings, updates, I'm pretty handy with a PC working in IT so that's all easy enough for me but for someone who isn't handy with computers JAMMA is the way to go IMO

I know the budget of €200-250 might be a bit optimistic but that's the same for a decent mame build too, I'm not sure what safety boy for looking for his machine in the previous post but I've bought 2 100% working silverline cabs in the last couple of years for €200-250each. Now granted they would probably need another €100 for a multigame it's not that much over budget for little work(both cabs I bought came with a game so if that can tie you over until you can afford the multigame)

• Advertisement

ah ok , I see your point there .I'd say best to agree to disagree on the monitor issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement