Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dalmatia wrote: »
    of course i read it step by step but when i click on tp link wan connection type getting unplugged
    on media hub i have connected cable to Ethernet port 1 and on tp link I have on ethernet 1 the same.

Read your own posts?

If you'd paid attention reading the OP....
    8) Connect an ethernet cable from any LAN port on your UPC modem to the WAN port on your new router.

Don't need to be Steve Wozniak.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 24 Dalmatia

if you dont wish to help then stop making fun of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

if you dont wish to help then stop making fun of me.

There's a lot of that around here. I'll give you a hand. Is the VM hub in modem mode? It's in modem mode when the light on the front is Magenta in colour. Connect your Cat5e or Cat6 cable from the port nearest the cable entering the VM hub (port 4) to the WAN port (coloured blue labeled Internet) on the TpLink. Enter the interface of the TpLink 192.168.0.1 In the left column select Internet, in WAN connection type, select "dynamic ip" in the drop down menu then click the "detect" button. That should get you sorted. Let me know if you have problems.

ok this is the story. I have virgin media HUb 3.0, there is no option as it was before turn hub in modem mode when you log in. I turned off wifi, connected everything over cat6 cable to TP link c9. When i connect cable to virgin media hub im getting 242/25 transfer, also when i connect cable to tp link im getting 240/25 without any problem, but when i connect to wifi, same room, from router 4 met away im getting max 50/25. I have hp laptop 17inch one year old. :)

Hope this helps. Also when Im doing speed test over htc mobile im getting the same speed over the mobile only 50/25. (new mobile old 5 months).

I dont have any colour displayed on virgin media hub, (white one), nothing just when turn on, wifi is red but two buttons bellow are green, then after few min all turn black (no colour whatsoever).

im not even sure how to know did i put virgin media hub in mode mode. i followed everything to the letter from 1st page and still no idea. Looked over the internet with previous software you could manually just change hub to modem mode, now there is no possibilities to do that. What is frustrating taking exams and i ruined already one laptop as i fell over the cable (cant see very well in front of me) that is the reason to take wifi.

http://192.168.0.1 = when i put this in search im getting connected to virgin media hub asking my password not the password from tp link.

http://192.168.0.1 = when i put this in search im getting connected to virgin media hub asking my password not the password from tp link.

ok, have you changed the address of the Tplink to 192.168.1.1 as per the guide? If so, thats what you need to enter the admin of the Tplink. Getting back to the VM hub. Two things have to be done before the Modem mode option will be available. 1)You need to have an Ipv4 ip address, contacting the reps on here will get that sorted.
    2) If your hub is transmitting the Horizion Wi Free wireless signal, it needs to be disabled. That needs to be done by VM who can do it here as well. When both of these things are done, a factory reset of the VM hub will then give you the option to use modem mode.

can i call free number 1908 to get ipv4 address, also when i get address how to put, factory reset i can put needle in the back of virgin media hub

• Advertisement

i called that expensive number and they put hub in modem mode, so still i need ipv4 address :>sorry to bother you this much if you are in phibsborough paying drink :)

ok got ip4

all working :) thanks for all your help.

Good stuff. The Tplink are a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Glad you got it sorted. Enjoy your speeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

jca wrote: »

ok, have you changed the address of the Tplink to 192.168.1.1 as per the guide? If so, thats what you need to enter the admin of the Tplink. Getting back to the VM hub. Two things have to be done before the Modem mode option will be available. 1)You need to have an Ipv4 ip address, contacting the reps on here will get that sorted.
                     2) If your hub is transmitting the Horizion Wi Free wireless signal, it needs to be disabled. That needs to be done by VM who can do it here as well.                                                                                                                                             When both of these things are done, a factory reset of the VM hub will then give you the option to use modem mode.

How do we contact the Reps please

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    How do we contact the Reps please

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

quick question. As above when i got Ipv4 and took off WIFI do I really need to reset my virgin media hub as I read it would go to factory reset. Would I loose all settings as I have VHub now in modem mode. Not sure "" When both of these things are done, a factory reset of the VM hub will then give you the option to use modem mode.""" - thanks

quick question. As above when i got Ipv4 and took off WIFI do I really need to reset my virgin media hub as I read it would go to factory reset. Would I loose all settings as I have VHub now in modem mode. Not sure "" When both of these things are done, a factory reset of the VM hub will then give you the option to use modem mode.""" - thanks

If the hub is in modem mode you don't need to do anything. Factory resetting it while in modem mode will return it to router mode. Another thing, when its in modem mode its address changes to 192.168.100.1

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

HI Guys,

I had the Cisco Router Previously with the Archer C9 and they worked brilliantly. When we upgraded to the HUB 3.0 it didn't work out of the box and the Archer C9 displayed "No Internet Connection". I would have presumed it would be a straight swap out, but clearly I was wrong. I tried it in "Modem Mode" also, but it didn't seem to work. I have disconnected the C9 for the moment but the wireless speeds are too hit and miss and I would like to swap back. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance,
    Dpjmie

My guess would be you're on DSLite. Virgin need to turn it off so bridging works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

ED E wrote: »
    My guess would be you're on DSLite. Virgin need to turn it off so bridging works.

Thanks Ed,

Will give them a shout either today or Monday to check... on the old cisco you could see it list dslite in the status page, is there nothing on the hub to let you know??

Cheers in advance
    Dpjmie

dpjmie wrote: »
    Thanks Ed,

Will give them a shout either today or Monday to check... on the old cisco you could see it list dslite in the status page, is there nothing on the hub to let you know??

Cheers in advance
    Dpjmie

http://test-ipv6.com

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can help...
    We were on the 120 download with the old technicolour box but the wifi on it was useless, so I went out and bought a netgear nighthawk ac1900 router.
    To cut a long story short, gave up trying to get the technicolour into modem mode with over 20 calls to UPC/ virgin media... the last call was to cancel the contract as I wasn't happy but got roped in to the 240 download and the new media hub at a great price..
    I've been put back on to ipv4 and have the hub in modem mode but are getting weird speed results..... upload is 24 down load is around 30 or 40..? This can't be right...? Or is it...??

Please help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can help...
    We were on the 120 download with the old technicolour box but the wifi on it was useless, so I went out and bought a netgear nighthawk ac1900 router.
    To cut a long story short, gave up trying to get the technicolour into modem mode with over 20 calls to UPC/ virgin media... the last call was to cancel the contract as I wasn't happy but got roped in to the 240 download and the new media hub at a great price..
    I've been put back on to ipv4 and have the hub in modem mode but are getting weird speed results..... upload is 24 down load is around 30 or 40..? This can't be right...? Or is it...??

Please help...

I bought the exact same hub and have the exact same VM modem as you. Will pm you later with details of what I did.

Turned off wireless on VM. Turned off DHCP on VM. Kept its IP 192.168.0.1

Set new box range in 192.168.1.1 with its gateway as VM Ip above.

Use 5GHz and 2.4GHz and wired DHCP to new box.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I bought the exact same hub and have the exact same VM modem as you. Will pm you later with details of what I did.

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.. it feels like there's light at the end of the tunnel... see I'm not great with computers at all.... everything I know now is what I've learnt through tough times of trying to get it all set up..

I should add that I've been trying to set up ip cctv system up since last June..!

What sort of speeds are you getting now if you don't mind me asking..

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.. it feels like there's light at the end of the tunnel... see I'm not great with computers at all.... everything I know now is what I've learnt through tough times of trying to get it all set up..

I should add that I've been trying to set up ip cctv system up since last June..!

What sort of speeds are you getting now if you don't mind me asking..

Wireless 5GHz on 100M VM, can get 70-80

2.4GHz floats around 40

I use home plugs for all wired devices and can get 60-70 on most devices. It can vary by device. Laptop gets highest.

Damien360 wrote: »

Seems it not as I remembered.

Netgear IP 192.168.0.2

All the rest the same

192.168.0.1 to access VM
    Routerlogin.net to find Netgear
    Setting up wireless on netgear is simple.
    I also use parental control via openDNS.
    Set up an account (it is free) and change DNS primary and secondary to the IP address given in Opendns page.

The netgear also has a nice app that works on android and apple called GENIE

VM settings

LAN%20VM_zpsivvuz5lg.jpg

wireless%20VM_zpskitfciop.jpg

options%20VM_zpsglnmxlmu.jpg

Netgear setting

IP%20Netgear_zpsej6frzlq.jpg

Would the setting be the same on a virgin media hub 3....??
    Totally lost with all this...
    probably best get someone into sort all this out... would it be expensive to get a professional in..?

Would the setting be the same on a virgin media hub 3....??
    Totally lost with all this...
    probably best get someone into sort all this out... would it be expensive to get a professional in..?
    Where are you based? I'd gladly look over it for you if you're nearby?

Karsini wrote: »
    Where are you based? I'd gladly look over it for you if you're nearby?

Pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The TP Link Archer 8 has been a brilliant buy, not a hitch since I got it and wonderful speeds and uptime, until last night.

Everything in the house is fine, bar world of warcraft on my PC, which is hitting pings of over 2000ms every so often. Absolutely freaked since I took today of work to play and it keeps happening.

Just did a reset on the ARcher and noticed for whatever reason it reset my SSID's and wifi stuff back to factory settings. Probably what the reset does I assume. Went through some config changes and fingers crossed this messing stops

TheDoc wrote: »
    The TP Link Archer 8 has been a brilliant buy, not a hitch since I got it and wonderful speeds and uptime, until last night.

Everything in the house is fine, bar world of warcraft on my PC, which is hitting pings of over 2000ms every so often. Absolutely freaked since I took today of work to play and it keeps happening.

Just did a reset on the ARcher and noticed for whatever reason it reset my SSID's and wifi stuff back to factory settings. Probably what the reset does I assume. Went through some config changes and fingers crossed this messing stops

I couldn't see how it could be the fault of the C8 if every other device was working properly. I don't game myself but wasn't there a problem with the VM hub that was sorted with a firmware update?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Hi,
    I've been on to Virgin multiple times, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of the problem.

I have a pair of Tenda P1000 KIT AV1000 Gigabit Powerline Adapters, connected to my Virgin Media Smart Hub 3.0 via Cat6 cables. The Hub is in the hall of the house, and my PC is upstairs. The maximum speed I can get is 60Mbps. I am living in Limerick city and signed on to the 240Mb plan. My PC has a Reaktek GBE Family Controller ethernet card, and I can see the network is connected at 1.0Gbps. The wireless LAN is about 40Mbps. The only way to get 200+Mbps is to directly connect the Smart Hub into an ethernet port of a laptop.

Is this due to the electrical wiring in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi,
    I've been on to Virgin multiple times, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of the problem.

I have a pair of Tenda P1000 KIT AV1000 Gigabit Powerline Adapters, connected to my Virgin Media Smart Hub 3.0 via Cat6 cables. The Hub is in the hall of the house, and my PC is upstairs. The maximum speed I can get is 60Mbps. I am living in Limerick city and signed on to the 240Mb plan. My PC has a Reaktek GBE Family Controller ethernet card, and I can see the network is connected at 1.0Gbps. The wireless LAN is about 40Mbps. The only way to get 200+Mbps is to directly connect the Smart Hub into an ethernet port of a laptop.

It is most likely due to using electrical wiring for something it was never designed to do.
    After that it can be affected by the way the premises is wired and connected.

If you want full speed anywhere in the premises you must connect using proper cable ...... Cat5e or Cat6 or better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hi,

Homeplugs are completely hit or miss

Homeplugs are completely hit or miss

Mostly miss.

jca wrote: »
    Mostly miss.

That's an unfair representation. Its very dependent on the mains loops they're on but in most dwellings they're fine. Eir only have to replace a minority of their TV installs with ethernet runs.

ED E wrote: »
    That's an unfair representation. Its very dependent on the mains loops they're on but in most dwellings they're fine. Eir only have to replace a minority of their TV installs with ethernet runs.

They're fine as you say but they never deliver the speeds they promise. I have two sky boxes and a smart TV running off homeplugs everything works ok but connecting my laptop to one to get a speedtests only gives about 80 meg. I will get around to putting in a gigabit switch and hardwiring them in properly.

Totally true, but its very similar to the link rate vs gPut that we've seen in WLAN for a decade or more. Maybe a little worse at 150/1000 vs 120/300 but way off the mark either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

So, given that I can't go drilling holes to run cable through the house I'm a tenant of, is there anyway to downgrade my service to 120Mbps, as I'm essentially wasting over 50% of my bandwidth?

AFAIK the base package is 240Mb now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I put my superhub 3 in modem mode today and connect a tp-link 4500 Wireless cable router.

I can browse the internet just fine, and connect wirelessly. However, I can't connect to the router directly to change DNS etc. Default 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 aren't connecting.

When I try to connect using http://tplinkwifi.net I'm advised I am not connected to my tp-link network.

Has anyone seen similar?

Is your superhub wifi still on / are you wired into the superhub?

I put my superhub 3 in modem mode today and connect a tp-link 4500 Wireless cable router.

I can browse the internet just fine, and connect wirelessly. However, I can't connect to the router directly to change DNS etc. Default 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 aren't connecting.

When I try to connect using http://tplinkwifi.net I'm advised I am not connected to my tp-link network.

Has anyone seen similar?

Are you sure the VM hub is in modem mode, purple light instead of the white.

Yes to all questions apart from wifi - it's off

• Advertisement

What IP address are you getting on the PC or laptop?

Make sure that everything is connected correctly. All wired devices to LAN ports on the TP-Link and a cable from the Super Hub's Ethernet ports to the WAN port on the TP-Link. Nothing else should be connected to the Super Hub Ethernet ports.

Jaysus. What a wally. I still had ethernet connected to hub.

Cheers lads.

Jaysus. What a wally. I still had ethernet connected to hub.

Cheers lads.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Hey all looking for some advice.

I've been with virgin for about 5 years now and been very happy with the service. It's just broadband. In January, I entered a new 12 month contract. Circumstances have changed past week, have been made redundant and my rent is going up considerably very soon. 50 a month for broadband is absolutely out of the question for the time being. To cancel my contract would cost 200. It's still a saving over waiting out my contract to expire. Hopefully will be in a new job soon so could have it reconnected. For now, it's just not possible. Is there any way to get out without paying the 200? I'd rather not be dishonest with them as I've never had any issue with the service. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Cavey wrote: »
    Hey all looking for some advice.

I've been with virgin for about 5 years now and been very happy with the service. It's just broadband. In January, I entered a new 12 month contract. Circumstances have changed past week, have been made redundant and my rent is going up considerably very soon. 50 a month for broadband is absolutely out of the question for the time being. To cancel my contract would cost 200. It's still a saving over waiting out my contract to expire. Hopefully will be in a new job soon so could have it reconnected. For now, it's just not possible. Is there any way to get out without paying the 200? I'd rather not be dishonest with them as I've never had any issue with the service. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you

Have you tried contacting them to explain the situation?
    Maybe ask if they could put your contract on hold for a few months to give you time to get employment?
    Disconnect you during that period with a guarantee to start payments again after say three months?
    Worth a shot?

• Advertisement
Advertisement