Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Hi All,

A smidgin off topic....

Using the archer c8 with my cisco for a while now and getting on great. been offered the new virgin 'home hub' thingy. My limited experience with the virgin boxes (in a short term rental) is that they're pretty good. I'm presuming i can just go with that and use my archer as an extender ? Anyone migrate from the cisco box and never looked back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

newbie2 wrote: »
    Hi All,

A smidgin off topic....

Using the archer c8 with my cisco for a while now and getting on great. been offered the new virgin 'home hub' thingy. My limited experience with the virgin boxes (in a short term rental) is that they're pretty good. I'm presuming i can just go with that and use my archer as an extender ? Anyone migrate from the cisco box and never looked back?

You can get the new hub, contact the reps here and ask them to turn off the wi free or whatever it's called, make sure you're still on an ipv4 address, put the vm hub into bridge mode and you're set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok just got the Archer C9 and setting it up as per first post by BK

On the 240 broadband and now I have the Archer connected to the Hub via Ethernet and I am only getting 76 mb down and 25 up via WIFI. This is slower than when I did not have it connected and the wifi signal icon bars are not fully lit up. I cannot hard wire pc to check speeds

I am on the laptop and speed test done right beside the router and testing the speeds on speedtest and on the virgin media website

Is this right or do I need to change any settings? Followed the post step by step

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you on the 5Ghz net?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

jca wrote: »
    You can get the new hub, contact the reps here and ask them to turn off the wi free or whatever it's called, make sure you're still on an ipv4 address, put the vm hub into bridge mode and you're set.

Cheers,

but the reason I was using the Archer was to get full speeds, and avoid constant drop outs from the Cisco. If this doesn't happen with the new hub, is there any need for the archer?

Again, apologies for the little bit of off-topicness....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ED E wrote: »
    Are you on the 5Ghz net?

Doh forgot to put the aerial on the routers whoops however speed does not seem the same

Set up both a 5ghz and 2.4ghz and speeds not great on wifi and RTE player buffering a lot more than usual as I have a TP Link plug installed and linked into TV

Anyone here using a Netgear R8000 with the Cisco 3925? The Netgear reboots itself with increasing regularity.
    It has a fantastic range. It's in the living room and my son in the attic room can get 240mb over Wi-Fi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe it needs a new firmware update.

Mad looking router...

My Media Hub constantly clashes with other networks even on auto channel. I've turned off all WiFi on it and connected up my Tplink ac750 and it's far better. The hub seems ok sometimes but eventually I end up going back to the Tplink.

Often wondered would I get better range with a more expensive router. Mine is a single core cpu also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

beauf wrote: »
    Often wondered would I get better range with a more expensive router. Mine is a single core cpu also.

No. You are better to add a second access point on a different channel connected to your original by Ethernet covering the areas with a weak signal.
    You don't need dual core router either, you are limited by your internet connection.

• Advertisement

I actually bought a powerline adapter (with WiFi repeater) for the that reason just never configured it. Must do that Theres a I beam in the kitchen that seems to kill all wifi beyond it.

No. You are better to add a second access point on a different channel connected to your original by Ethernet covering the areas with a weak signal.
    You don't need dual core router either, you are limited by your internet connection.

NAT speeds do matter nowadays. When 100Mb and 120Mb Cable were the top packages it didnt but with 240/360 and the upper FTTH packages older units can have a max translation speed thats way too low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads when I go to 192.168.0.1 it is the Virgin initial installation page. I set up my C8 last year with the horizon box but I'm now using the new hub. I have an IPV4 address so do I just need to disable Wi-Free to set it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Lads when I go to 192.168.0.1 it is the Virgin initial installation page. I set up my C8 last year with the horizon box but I'm now using the new hub. I have an IPV4 address so do I just need to disable Wi-Free to set it up?

Yes, get Wi-free disabled, pin reset the hub and the option to select modem mode will be available in the main menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm using the latest Virgin Hub (Compal CH7465LG-VM) but I'm subscribed to the 240M package.
    My Netflix keeps switching to SD pixelated image quality and my iptv (dodgybox) keeps freezing and causing the whole modem to crash.

I get the feeling I'm being 'throttled' because 240 should be more than enough for what I need.
    Should I buy the Archer and use bridging mode or should I get a vpn subscription?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Would this router be any use?

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Would this router be any use?

Im all for cheap tat on Ali but for the love of god dont buy a completely unknown quantity of a router thats going to spend a couple years protecting your devices from attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Im all for cheap tat on Ali but for the love of god dont buy a completely unknown quantity of a router thats going to spend a couple years protecting your devices from attack.

That's why I'm here asking :D

Howya folks,

Anyone who's running a bridged virgin modem that is not a Hub3.0 and is happy for me to bounce pings off whatever is behind it please get in touch.

Cheers,
    ED-E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Any recommendations for a good router these days?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Any recommendations for a good router these days?

Net gear nighthawk d7000... good speeds and good WiFi distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

so, bought an Archer C9 and set it up

On the regular frequency, am getting about 80MB download on WiFi

on the 5Ghz..am getting the full 240MB WiFi

Its some piece of kit, and the Tether App makes it even easier to use.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Shlippery

so, bought an Archer C9 and set it up

On the regular frequency, am getting about 80MB download on WiFi

on the 5Ghz..am getting the full 240MB WiFi

Its some piece of kit, and the Tether App makes it even easier to use.

Ah I feel like it's a bit of a bump to this thread, but it's a sticky so can't see any harm.

Would ye recommend a new router in bridge mode even if it weren't for the wifi capabilities? Most of my house is wired via ethernet, but would a different router bring more benefits from port forwarding? etc

I've a NAS setup and finding it finicky to tweak accordingly in the VM Hub interface. Just trying to see if it'd be more benefit.

I find the VM Routers WiFi much less robust than other routers I have. So I use another router for WiFi.

That said I couldn't get bridge mode working.
    I must have another go. Because using two routers (double nat?) one behind the other seems to give performance issues with some devices.

beauf wrote: »
    I find the VM Routers WiFi much less robust than other routers I have. So I use another router for WiFi.

That said I couldn't get bridge mode working.
    I must have another go. Because using two routers (double nat?) one behind the other seems to give performance issues with some devices.

DS lite off (via customer care)
    then
    Factory reset the device (why this is needed is beyond me)
    then
    Login and bridge
    then
    Connect a router

Last time I did that I lost all internet for about 3 or 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 murball

Hi folks.

I'm a complete novice in this area - looking for some advice on my ISP.
    I'm currently with virgin for 60 a month which is increasing in the new year.

They offer 240mb but I've don multiple speed tests and its never anywhere near this.. I'm just wondering if I were to switch to a cheaper competitor who offers 100mb would I be likely to experience the same speeds (around 70-80mb) of would I more than likely experience a much slower service?

Thanks in advance

Depends on where you are. The 100Mb service is 7Mb at some addresses. You need to check what you'll get before considering it.

After that yeah, 50Mb is currently plenty for any average family.

My 240 is generally aboiut 70~80 around the house. Wifi is patchey though. I'll get 10 in one room 200 beside the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 murball

Depends on where you are. The 100Mb service is 7Mb at some addresses. You need to check what you'll get before considering it.

After that yeah, 50Mb is currently plenty for any average family.

Thanks for your answer.. Is there any way of checking the actual speed of the 100mb service before signing up for it?

Advertisement