Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Damien360 wrote: »
    A little bit over your budget but I use the Netgear R7000. Dual band wifi and very stable. Handy iOS and Android app for controlling kids access. Still use TP-link powerlines for some devices including the PS4. Not sure if 100% required but I had them before the Netgear for signal drops caused by VM.

As an aside: I only get drops at about midnight every single night for the whole house when the VM hub in front of the Netgear decides to reset. Notice it on PS4. Out for 10 seconds only.

Thanks.
    I just bought a netgear r7000 on ebay for £70.
    Hope I'm able to set it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭jeffk

Take back my recommendation

Same issue as C9 with WiFi, about 1/3 of the speeds and tried all settings, moving aerials

Slightly better than C9 as that randomly factory reset and WiFi stopped connecting

How can people say these are good routers?

I was literally beside it and crap wifi speed compared to virgin router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/85040?page=3

Might not play nice with the updated Virgin Media Hub.

Most of the time I have disconnects its the Virgin Media hub.
    Once it disconnects the routers I have connected to it, take a few minutes to reconnect.
    Ethernet reconnects much quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I have the C8 and once I moved the channels away from surrounding networks the WiFi speed increased dramatically. Penetration on the 5ghz wouldn't be fantastic but the 2.4 is perfect.

If its not fire and forget then better off with VM hub, as if not here and goes off people dunno how to fix stuff like that

Its weird as I have it in the hall and not buried under a tv stand etc

AH well, looks like stuck with VM router and make sure "smart" wifi is off

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    If its not fire and forget then better off with VM hub, as if not here and goes off people dunno how to fix stuff like that

Its weird as I have it in the hall and not buried under a tv stand etc

AH well, looks like stuck with VM router and make sure "smart" wifi is off

Mine is fit and forget neither routers ever rebooted.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Mine is fit and forget neither routers ever rebooted.

But have to move it, which I cant

Then have to keep an eye on channels?

But have to move it, which I cant

Then have to keep an eye on channels?

Move what? Hardly difficult to change a channel if required, I was just unlucky that my neighbours sky Q happened to pick the same channel the C8 was using.

Move what? Hardly difficult to change a channel if required, I was just unlucky that my neighbours sky Q happened to pick the same channel the C8 was using.

Physically move the unit I thought you meant

Not hard to move no, but if im not there people dunno how to do it,

Plus you'd think with all these smart features and better routers they should do this themselves

This is all a far cry from the quick fix easy solution people have painted a alternative router to be, I feel sorry for those attempting this who are not tech minded

Physically move the unit I thought you meant

Not hard to move no, but if im not there people dunno how to do it,

Plus you'd think with all these smart features and better routers they should do this themselves

This is all a far cry from the quick fix easy solution people have painted a alternative router to be, I feel sorry for those attempting this who are not tech minded
    You're overthinking this completely it isn't difficult at all, even if you're away and a newly created wireless network clashes with yours everything will still work perfectly, you'll just see a drop in wireless speed during a large download or conducting a speedtest. A quick scan with vistumbler will show you all the surrounding networks and their respective channels, go into your router admin page change the channel and you're sorted. There are plenty here including myself would be only too happy to help you.
    Trust me it's well worth it.:)

• Advertisement

I get the best reception if I move it using a prowerline adapter. I also check what other networks have and occasionally have to change it.

Messed around with WiFi mode on 2.5 and 5 on the hub
    Left smart WiFi on to see

Now getting at least three times what the C7 gave me

I agree its not much hassle to move channel, but If buying new router I'd hope it would just take care of everything itself

My Virgin would never auto hop channels. All the ones around me are all on the same channel.

beauf wrote: »
    I get the best reception if I move it using a prowerline adapter. I also check what other networks have and occasionally have to change it.

Surely the powerline adapter would reduce the speed.

Yes but its still better than dire WiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads will the instructions in post 1 work for Sky broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Can a home shed some light on this?

Had an archer c7 hooked up to superhub 3 with no issues for about 3 months. During the week the connection mysteriously dropped between hub and router. Tried all the usual resetting etc.

Contacted virgin, rep suggested a modem fault and sent out a new modem. Had same issue with new modem. I figure maybe a router problem so replaced the router. Ended up with a Netgear nighthawk ac1900.

Set that up with the new modem. Once both booted up it connects and works for about 5-10 minutes then drops and I've no internet connection again. So I've ruled out the first modem & router being faulty. Used new ethernet cables. And have the same problem in modem mode.

Virgon washing hands because of 3rd party hardware. Is it a line fault?

Vikings wrote: »
    Can a home shed some light on this?

Had an archer c7 hooked up to superhub 3 with no issues for about 3 months. During the week the connection mysteriously dropped between hub and router. Tried all the usual resetting etc.

Contacted virgin, rep suggested a modem fault and sent out a new modem. Had same issue with new modem. I figure maybe a router problem so replaced the router. Ended up with a Netgear nighthawk ac1900.

Set that up with the new modem. Once both booted up it connects and works for about 5-10 minutes then drops and I've no internet connection again. So I've ruled out the first modem & router being faulty. Used new ethernet cables. And have the same problem in modem mode.

Virgon washing hands because of 3rd party hardware. Is it a line fault?

What happens if you just use the VM hub? Does it stay working?

What happens if you just use the VM hub? Does it stay working?

It does seem to, yes.

So after some further playing around, I've now determined it's just the WiFi that's not working in modem mode and wired connection is fine.

Same across 2 modems and 2 routers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked to see if you have been changed back an ipv6 address?

https://test-ipv6.com/

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you checked to see if you have been changed back an ipv6 address?

https://test-ipv6.com/

Checked that and no results for ipv6.

Strangely enough the WiFi issue sorted itself out in modem mode but now wired connections aren't working. I'm stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds kinda like you're bridging, not NATing, thus expending all four of your IPs and locking out further devices.

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds kinda like you're bridging, not NATing, thus expending all four of your IPs and locking out further devices.

I have the media hub in modem mode and the netgear router as it came out of the box. In fact, I can not access to netgear router settings page when connected to the internet either via wireless or wired.

I can get to it when I connect directly wired to the router but not connected to the media hub, obviously without internet access so I'm not even sure what settings in there I can adapt.

Wired from netgear router I have access on my laptop but no access when wired to sky box or android box. Have wired access to 1 smart tv but by wireless can't access another smart tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Vikings wrote: »
    I have the media hub in modem mode and the netgear router as it came out of the box. In fact, I can not access to netgear router settings page when connected to the internet either via wireless or wired.

I can get to it when I connect directly wired to the router but not connected to the media hub, obviously without internet access so I'm not even sure what settings in there I can adapt.

Wired from netgear router I have access on my laptop but no access when wired to sky box or android box. Have wired access to 1 smart tv but by wireless can't access another smart tv.

Have you a lan port of the bridged hub connected to the wan port of the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Right now some russian lads are pwning all of your devices. Dont use modem mode if you dont know what you're doing.

ED E wrote: »
    Right now some russian lads are pwning all of your devices. Dont use modem mode if you dont know what you're doing.

Wha??

degsie wrote: »
    Have you a lan port of the bridged hub connected to the wan port of the router?

Between plenty of rebooting devices in different orders and firmware upgrades I have now established that everything is in perfect working order. Still not sure what the issue was but all I know is it is finally sorted. Mostly by itself, with a little prodding.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

Hi. Anyone used the powerline adaptors that are available to buy on there website for 50 quid. installation guy was raving about the ones on there website a while back. Would like to use them upstairs cos wifi poor upstairs. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Alright lads.

I'm finally getting around to buying a new router to connect to my superhub from Virgin media.

Is the tp link archer c7 still a good option?

Was thinking about buying one from amazon but how would I know if its a v2 model?

Are the guys that are using the archer c7 using the stock firmware or aftermarket firmware such as dd-wrt?

Is it much hassle to setup?

I also want to install a pi hole on my network so am wondering if I need the C7 and a raspberry pi or can pihole be setup on the archer c7?

I have a bit of reading to do

Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Assume there is no specific threads to the speeds and this has become an all encompassing.

Went with an Archer a few years ago and was a brilliant shout. Has happily managed and broadcast amazing speeds to my pc upstairs.

Recently signed up to the 500mb package and while my upload speed has gone from 36 to 50 indicating its active, my download speed has not. In some cases lower.

Anyone recommend a good WiFi sniffer or the likes ? I actually haven’t had to touch my network setup in years

EDIT: Find I cant even get into my ARcher c7 admin panel. All my PC's connect wireless and for some reason the panel is just not coming up, just getting a generic chrome failed to load site. Don't have a device in the house with ethernet I can hook in : /

Advertisement