Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happened the Dublin-Cork Business Express??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The dept of transport thinks nothing of flushing €9million down the swanny:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0129/676421-island-airstrips-pac/

so €10mil for a radical improvement in journey times for thousands of people shouldn't be too big an ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Don't Irish rail require passengers to turn up 20 min in advance of leaving Heuston, a 6th of the journey time increased on top of the time to get to Heuston

That's actually improved a LOT since the barriers went in both at Heuston and Cork as you can mostly just walk straight on (As should always have been the case)

I don't know why they went out of their way to add all of the inconvenience of an airline checkin and queue when they never needed it for any reason!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

cgcsb wrote: »
    The dept of transport thinks nothing of flushing €9million down the swanny:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0129/676421-island-airstrips-pac/

so €10mil for a radical improvement in journey times for thousands of people shouldn't be too big an ask.
    when it comes to the railway, it is

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

when it comes to the railway, it is

'tis always the way. Some posters on here seem to be under the impression that a new piece of rail infrastructure, e.g. DARTu or MetroN have to recover their capital costs through ticket sales. The same posters want a €3bn motorway/tunnel connecting Dublin Port to the Dundrum M50 Exit, and they don't want to pay a toll either.

After spending 100mil on the Limerick-Galway rail line, shouted down as a waste, we're currently building a parallel toll-free motorway for over 7 times the cost.

'tis always the way. Some posters on here seem to be under the impression that a new piece of rail infrastructure, e.g. DARTu or MetroN have to recover their capital costs through ticket sales. The same posters want a €3bn motorway/tunnel connecting Dublin Port to the Dundrum M50 Exit, and they don't want to pay a toll either.

After spending 100mil on the Limerick-Galway rail line, shouted down as a waste, we're currently building a parallel toll-free motorway for over 7 times the cost.

i know, you couldn't make it up.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Shh! Don't let the secret out or else we'll have this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Off topic: Does breakfast come with first class travel on Dublin-Cork route? Website says there is "In-seat dining available on selected services" but not whether it's included in price or not. Have never travelled first class in Ireland before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Collie D wrote: »
    Off topic: Does breakfast come with first class travel on Dublin-Cork route? Website says there is "In-seat dining available on selected services" but not whether it's included in price or not. Have never travelled first class in Ireland before.

No - you have to pay for the food separately. You do get free tea or coffee however.

The menu and prices are here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/first_class_menu_web.pdf?v=8y4dcco

On the 07:00 Dublin-Cork train there is a breakfast service, which, once first class is served, is extended to all passengers in the buffet car.

The same applies to the 07:00 Cork-Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

but that motorway will carry thousands of times more passengers and freight from day one and will also make the roads a lot safer .

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    but that motorway will carry thousands of times more passengers and freight from day one and will also make the roads a lot safer .
    its still not worth spending that much money on though. you could get a good high quality road for less then that i'd bet.

If it saved one life, it would be worth every cent.

Seven times the investment for thousands of times the users? sounds like a good investment to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

its still not worth spending that much money on though. you could get a good high quality road for less then that i'd bet.

Its called future proofing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Are there any plans to put down faster track for Cork to Dublin?

2hr30-2hr40 doesn't cut it anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Go back to post #41 on page 3 and read from there.

That will fill you in on the current plans.

Investment in speeding up long distance journeys together with developing commuter services is absolutely the way to go. Rail has to be considerably quicker than the motorway to compete (because the car does a door to door journey) which is why the UK introduced their InterCity 125 trains when the M4 motorway was being built. 100 mph over long stretches is a good start.... but there are many other lines which need a lot of investment to survive

• Advertisement

That wasn't my point. My point was that the money would have been better spent on an integrated road/rail transport solution to meet the transport need of the region as opposed to reviving a Victorian designed railway and building an over designed road near by.

For example, a new single track rail alignment with frequent passing loops capable of 160km/hr running could have been built alongside a standard dual carriageway, with virtually the same land take as we currently have, and we'd achieve multiple objectives:
    -Improved Road safety
    -Better HGV access
    -Radically improved public transport

What we are getting now is a bodge.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Its called future proofing.

why wasn't the Galway-Limerick rail line future proofed? :rolleyes:

If it saved one life, it would be worth every cent.

A single fatality is calculated as having a net cost of €30,000,000 in road design.
    Seven times the investment for thousands of times the users? sounds like a good investment to me.

You're still getting the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

why wasn't the Galway-Limerick rail line future proofed? :rolleyes:

Because it should never have been reopened in the first place, and was a political playtoy.

An actual, suitable line speed, suitable corridor etc line would never have paased any cost-benefit analysis (not that the current one did in reality, with its clearly falsified business case)
    For example, a new single track rail alignment with frequent passing loops capable of 160km/hr running could have been built alongside a standard dual carriageway, with virtually the same land take as we currently have

This is a "standard dual carriageway" - motorways haven't taken any more land take for some years now.

The section between Portarlington and Portlaoise is to be upgraded see a few pages back. Completion by early 2016, funds permitting.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    An actual, suitable line speed, suitable corridor etc line would never have paased any cost-benefit analysis (not that the current one did in reality, with its clearly falsified business case)

And there's a positive economic case for a €750mil motorway between Gort and Tuam?? :D

And there's a positive economic case for a €750mil motorway between Gort and Tuam?? :D

Far more so than any rail project would be for the same route, yes. Clinging to the fact that its "duplicating" a useless railway line is pointless.

the fact that its "duplicating" a useless railway line is pointless.

Of course that's not my point either. My point was that a joint transport strategy that gives consideration to all solutions, including joint road/rail solutions. Building more motorways is a stimulus package for the gulf states and car manufacturing countries.

Because it should never have been reopened in the first place, and was a political playtoy.

as may be. but it was reopened, and therefore should have been future proofed.

maybe it would have if it was put on a proper alinement. a galway limerick rail link in its own right is viable, not the shambles we got.
    This is a "standard dual carriageway" - motorways haven't taken any more land take for some years now.

well if it is, its way overpriced

Far more so than any rail project would be for the same route, yes.

not really, and not for that price
    Clinging to the fact that its "duplicating" a useless railway line is pointless.

absolutely its not when the rail line was only a bit of track thrown on an old winding alinement with no effort with almost every little hault reopened.

as may be. but it was reopened, and therefore should have been future proofed.

Capacity-wise its about as future proof as possible - it has enough capacity for decades of its current growth level...

...and more importantly:
    a galway limerick rail link in its own right is viable, not the shambles we got.

It wouldn't be either. The totality of traffic going between Limerick and Galway on public transport does not justify any railway line, even if you make extremely fanciful assumptions about modal shift and new trip generation.
    well if it is, its way overpriced

In relation to what?

not really, and not for that price

Explain "not really"

Cost/benefits are ratios, total price is irrelevant.

absolutely its not when the rail line was only a bit of track thrown on an old winding alinement with no effort with almost every little hault reopened.

There was never any justification for anything further to be done to that line (there wasn't a justification for what was done either) and its likely to be closed - permanently this time - within five years. Its irrelevant to the motorway now let alone in the future.

But it wasn't and more importantly:
    Wouldn't be either. The totality of traffic going between Limerick and Galway on public transport does not justify any railway line, even if you make extremely fanciful assumptions about modal shift and new trip generation.

it does justify a rail line, not one on an old alinement that serves hardly anywhere however.

Cost/benefits are ratios, total price is irrelevant.

total price is relevant here. they could have got a proper rail link and road link on the same alinement potentially for the same price. 700000000 is way to much for a standard dual carrige way if indeed that is what is proposed.

There was never any justification for anything further to be done to that line

yes there was. a line on a new alinement built to a proper speed.

(there wasn't a justification for what was done either)

no there wasn't. but there was for a line on a new alinement built to a proper speed co-located with all the motor way..

its likely to be closed - permanently this time - within five years.

is it? yeah, i'm sure. something else will be gone before it.

Its irrelevant to the motorway now let alone in the future.

its not irrelevant to the motor way now or in the future as with imagination the 2 could have been co-located together on the same alinement potentially costing the same price for more, offering a proper rail and road corridor between the 2 cities.

they could have got a proper rail link and road link on the same alinement potentially for the same price. 700000000 is way to much for a standard dual carrige way if indeed that is what is proposed.

There isn't a chance in hell that they could have.

Its 550M not 700M - there's constant inflation of figures to try justify insane arguments on here these days - which is building 57km of road, mostly standard dual carriageway and a small amount of reduced dual carriageway. This is the lowest standard justifiable and is about as cheap as its going to get.

There is no standard of road you can reduce the road to that frees up more than maybe 100M - which isn't going to build much rail line, let alone the distance being proposed.

As for the rest of your post - another circular argument forming here. I haven't got the time to deal with the same point being broken out in to twenty seperate quotes without a single substantive fact being given, along with voodoo economics, a total lack of understanding of fundamental concepts, "build it and they will come" assumptions and figures pulled out of thin air.

As for the rest of your post - another circular argument forming here. I haven't got the time to deal with the same point being broken out in to twenty seperate quotes without a single substantive fact being given, along with voodoo economics, a total lack of understanding of fundamental concepts, "build it and they will come" assumptions and figures pulled out of thin air.

refering to yourself are we, because its certainly not me. plenty of substantive facts were given, and there were no voodoo economics, only the voodoo economics in your head. a complete understanding of fundamental concepts were also displayed, and there was no pulling figures out of thin air, just the figures quoted on this thread from a reliable poster

The totality of traffic going between Limerick and Galway on public transport does not justify any railway line, even if you make extremely fanciful assumptions about modal shift and new trip generation.

Almost all passenger rail infrastructure, in the whole world, is designed and built either to
    a) Encourage modal shift or
    b) To relieve pressure on existing services

or sometimes both. In that case if we're building/re-building a closed railway line, given there is no existing service to relieve, surely then the entire design premise is one of encouraging modal shift.

Modal shift is not fanciful at all, it happens all the time. Look at commutes to Dublin City Centre over 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

Planning ahead is vital, railway line provision should not be considered a "reward" for development, it is considered outside of Ireland a spur to development.

Almost all passenger rail infrastructure, in the whole world, is designed and built either to
    a) Encourage modal shift or
    b) To relieve pressure on existing services

or sometimes both. In that case if we're building/re-building a closed railway line, given there is no existing service to relieve, surely then the entire design premise is one of encouraging modal shift.

Modal shift is not fanciful at all, it happens all the time. Look at commutes to Dublin City Centre over 20 years.

Modal shift in the case of the WRC was fanciful - a superior bus service already has the public transport passengers.

Modal shift in the case of the WRC was fanciful - a superior bus service already has the public transport passengers.

what "superior bus service" . its more frequent and thats it. it has public transport passengers who would never use rail but thats it. those who would (if they had it) use a proper frequent decent speed rail line are taking their cars because such a rail service doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

what "superior bus service" . its more frequent and thats it. it has public transport passengers who would never use rail but thats it. those who would (if they had it) use a proper frequent decent speed rail line are taking their cars because such a rail service doesn't exist.

So now that the WRC has failed, the new WRC agrgument is that it should have been built along a new alignment?:eek:

Thats not voodoo economics, its bonkers economics. What is it about the WRC and its ability to keep moving goalposts.

Anyway I thought this thread was about the Dublin- Cork express idea. Personally I'd like to get back to that.

That wasn't my point. My point was that the money would have been better spent on an integrated road/rail transport solution to meet the transport need of the region as opposed to reviving a Victorian designed railway and building an over designed road near by.

For example, a new single track rail alignment with frequent passing loops capable of 160km/hr running could have been built alongside a standard dual carriageway, with virtually the same land take as we currently have, and we'd achieve multiple objectives:
    -Improved Road safety
    -Better HGV access
    -Radically improved public transport

What we are getting now is a bodge.

You can't build a rail line on the same alignment as a road, the gradients will be too great...you can't build a 100mph single line there either, the curves will be too tight and if you have frequent passing loops, it's going to be impossible to use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

You can't build a rail line on the same alignment as a road, the gradients will be too great...you can't build a 100mph single line there either, the curves will be too tight and if you have frequent passing loops, it's going to be impossible to use them

Ever been to Holland where they build railway lines alongside motorways? HS1 in England is largely parallel to the M20 motorway.

Much of the M1 motorway out of London right past Watford Gap services (some 60 miles out) was built parallel to railway lines.

Just because it isnt done in Ireland doesn't mean it isn't done elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Train de l'Est, Montreal
    http://mmmgrouplimited.com/projects/train-de-lest-3/
    project_HeavyRail_TrainDeLest_Credit_AgenceMetropolitaine31-e1397740784335-445x458.jpg
    I would agree that there can be limitations to which roads a train can be usefully run inside/alongside. The Maynooth line and its canal-enforced curves show that in another context. But that doesn't mean it can never work.

Ever been to Holland where they build railway lines alongside motorways? HS1 in England is largely parallel to the M20 motorway.

Much of the M1 motorway out of London right past Watford Gap services (some 60 miles out) was built parallel to railway lines.

Just because it isnt done in Ireland doesn't mean it isn't done elsewhere.

Holland is famously flat.
    the M20 and M1 were not built at the same time as the adjacent routes and thus are not relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Hmm, broadening the agenda for transport, or narrowing it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've started a new thread to make the new service clearer to more people:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057433165#

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement