Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Rental & CallerID

Options
  • 23-01-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,

An elderly relative had a few problems with her landline recently which gave me reason to check her bi-monthly bill. I noticed that you're charging her €4.58+VAT for a corded phone. That works out to about €33.80 per year. The phone in question is a real lightweight piece of (excuse my language) crap, that probably cost yourselves less than a euro from China. She says it was sent to her some time ago when she called eircom because she had a cracking noise on the line. She had no idea she was paying for 'renting' it, and has no idea whether she was also 'renting' the phone before that. Even if it was only the current phone for, say, the last 3 years, that works out at over €100, which would be scandalous enough on its own! I hope other people read this and check their elderly relatives' bill to see if the same is happening elsewhere. I suspect it is!

Anyway, I bought my relative a decent callerID-capable, cordless phone to replace the old yoke. My questions are (1) how do I go about cancelling the 'rental' of the old phone; (2) how do I get callerID enabled on the line (as it's not at the moment); (3) would either of 1 or 2 constitute entering into a new contract, as the account in question is currently out of contract.

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your help. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

glona wrote: »
    Hello,

An elderly relative had a few problems with her landline recently which gave me reason to check her bi-monthly bill. I noticed that you're charging her €4.58+VAT for a corded phone. That works out to about €33.80 per year. The phone in question is a real lightweight piece of (excuse my language) crap, that probably cost yourselves less than a euro from China. She says it was sent to her some time ago when she called eircom because she had a cracking noise on the line. She had no idea she was paying for 'renting' it, and has no idea whether she was also 'renting' the phone before that. Even if it was only the current phone for, say, the last 3 years, that works out at over €100, which would be scandalous enough on its own! I hope other people read this and check their elderly relatives' bill to see if the same is happening elsewhere. I suspect it is!

Anyway, I bought my relative a decent callerID-capable, cordless phone to replace the old yoke. My questions are (1) how do I go about cancelling the 'rental' of the old phone; (2) how do I get callerID enabled on the line (as it's not at the moment); (3) would either of 1 or 2 constitute entering into a new contract, as the account in question is currently out of contract.

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for your help. :)
    Hi glona

If you can please PM me your relatives account number I will give her a call (for verification & security purposes) and remove the phone rental. I can also add caller ID for her too. Also none of these actions will affect the contract or lack of contract in this case.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 8 glona

Thanks Al. I haven't got the a/c number to hand so I'll pop round to her in a while. Have you got a number that she can call you while I'm there? (PM me if you have). Cheers.

Thanks Al. I haven't got the a/c number to hand so I'll pop round to her in a while. Have you got a number that she can call you while I'm there? (PM me if you have). Cheers.
    Hi glona

I will be unable to take a call however if you would like to PM me a time to call before 5pm today or after 9am Monday I'll be more than happy to oblige

Cheers

Al

Thanks Al. I'll leave it til Monday and give you a shout. Have a good weekend! :)

Thanks Al. I'll leave it til Monday and give you a shout. Have a good weekend! :)
    No worries glona

Cheers

Al

• Advertisement

Hello Alan,

Did you get my PM with the details for this?

Cheers

Hello Alan,

Cheers
    Hi glona

I did thank you. Apologies for the delays, I have just called and arranged the removal of the charge. I have arranged the account to be credited for the price of the handset for six months.

Thanks
    Al

Hello Alan,

Cheers
    Hi glona

I did thank you. Apologies for the delays, I have just called and arranged the removal of the charge. I have arranged the account to be credited for the price of the handset for six months.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al!

Did you switch the calledID on as well?

Hello Alan,

Cheers
    Hi glona

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al!

Did you switch the calledID on as well?
    No worries glona

Thanks for reminding me - Just arranged the caller ID this minute :)

Al

Nice one! Thanks for your help! :)

• Advertisement

Nice one! Thanks for your help! :)
    You're more than welcome glona

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement