Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultrasonic cleaner - worth the punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There are a few threads on badgerandblade talking about using them with some success. I'll try link you to them later when I'm not on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

It does look ok - it's not entirely clear but could this clean the razor blade itself or just the handle etc?

Why would you want to clean the razor blade? If it's dirty and not doing the job just dispose of it and use a new one. They are only a few cents each.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Why would you want to clean the razor blade? If it's dirty and not doing the job just dispose of it and use a new one. They are only a few cents each.

I'm using a Gillette Mach 3 - quite a bit more than a few cents each in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

They're fantastic for cleaning watch straps. Just be sure to avoid making the same mistake my mother made - using them to clean jewellery. The ultrasonic vibrations can loosen the diamond (or other precious stones) and cause them to fall out!

Chelon wrote: »
    I'm using a Gillette Mach 3 - quite a bit more than a few cents each in Ireland

Ah ok, I assumed you were on about DE blades. I couldn't tell you how they would deal with a Mach 3.

Reading this about the blade cleaning process. I thought that cleaning was the major part of prolonging blade life, but from this it would appear not:-

http://www.shavingdetective.com/razorpit-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Chelon wrote: »
    Reading this about the blade cleaning process. I thought that cleaning was the major part of prolonging blade life, but from this it would appear not:-

http://www.shavingdetective.com/razorpit-review/

Even with a DE blade you're not suppose to wipe them because of the coatings they put on them. It's the same with a Mach3 (anti-friction coating). The best way to prolong the life of a blade is to keep them clean and dry. Although, a Mach 3 is a bit harder to clean.

I've never bought into the idea of those devices meant to prolong the life of cartridges. They certainly don't sharpen the cartridge blades (well not properly as they can't sharpen the bevel on both sides of the blade). Clean it well, dry it after your shave and keep it away from high humidity (where possible) and it shouldn't degrade too much.

The main issue with a cartridge would be cleaning it properly. If you are shaving every day with one it will be easier to clean than if you shave every second or third day. Even then getting it properly clean may be a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I've never bought into the idea of those devices meant to prolong the life of cartridges. They certainly don't sharpen the cartridge blades (well not properly as they can't sharpen the bevel on both sides of the blade). Clean it well, dry it after your shave and keep it away from high humidity (where possible) and it shouldn't degrade too much.

The main issue with a cartridge would be cleaning it properly. If you are shaving every day with one it will be easier to clean than if you shave every second or third day. Even then getting it properly clean may be a challenge.

Lol, here is another one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px2LZXGoeEw

A razor strop for cartridges. Good stuff.

It's amazing that they all seem to ignore the fact that you can't get to the other side of the blade with a cartridge. It would be like sharpening the bevel side of a chisel but not bothering to fix damage on the edge on the flat side.

Advertisement