Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerial for Saorview

• 23-01-2015 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Brian2208

I wouldn't be an authority on the subject but I have a set top aerial and I can get the RTEs, TV3, TG4, 3e and UTV Ireland with it with good quality pictures most of the time.

This is in Dublin, probably depends where you are too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Your TV may be Saorview compatible so you may not need a box, only an aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Your TV may be Saorview compatible

That's the Saorview approved list. There must be TVs not on that list that will work?

OP should post the make & model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Patww79 wrote: »

So called rabbits ears are VHF aerials for FM and DAB radio only. Not suitable for UHF TV. (never heard them called digital cats ears before). Also there is no such thing as a digital aerial of any type.

This is one of the better indoor aerials:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telecam-TCE2...words=tce+2000

Never get an amplified or boosted indoor aerial. They boost the noise more than the signal. Same applies to a booster box on an indoor aerial. Don't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

I use an SLX Gold indoor amplified aerial and it picks up Saorview perfectly here in north Dublin. Haven't a clue what it would be like in other aerials though. Picked one up on Amazon for around £20.

As I said above:

There is no such thing as a digital aerial of any type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Moyet

I live in Dublin and a twisted coat hanger connected to the back of my TV is enough to get saorview.

• Advertisement

Both those aerials are amplified types. The loop part (for UHF) has zero gain. No aerials have 46dB gain, it is in the amplifier and will raise the already high noise floor indoors by 46dB. The best outdoor yagi aerials may manage 18dB gain at one part of their bandwidth.

try this link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tce+2000&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=48444365825&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3869436102246096293&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8mdsmkyzi_b

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

OP I have the same issue. I have an aerial on the roof but the cable ends too far from the TV. I tried an indoor aerial bought from Woodies without success.

Am I right in saying if I get the aerial you got I'll pick up the Irish channels? TV is new with Saorview and I live in Athlone hopefully it'll be ok.

OP I have the same issue. I have an aerial on the roof but the cable ends too far from the TV. I tried an indoor aerial bought from Woodies without success.

Am I right in saying if I get the aerial you got I'll pick up the Irish channels? TV is new with Saorview and I live in Athlone hopefully it'll be ok.

Indoor aerials only work for about 5% of households, so probably not.

Why don't you extend the roof aerial cable.

Not a chance in Dublin with an indoor aerial. Also not likely with an outdoor one.

Yes, I bought a cheap extension cable and connectors to check it but no luck. Think maybe there is a problem with the aerial so didn't look into it anymore.

It's only sometimes I'd like RTE/TV3 as a change to Freeview channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We have new smart TV , and plugged in an indoor aerial .

Cant get a Saorview signal , unable to find any programmes .

We tried a Tesco 36DB aerial , and an ordinary 'oneforall '' aerial , but no luck

The standard definition version of E4 is free-to-air (FTA) on satellite, along with Channel 4, More 4, Film 4, & 4 Seven SD. You don't need to pay Sky to view these, although obviously you need a suitable receiver & dish. Channel 4 HD is also FTA.

E4 HD, Film 4 HD, & More 4 HD are subscription-only.

We tried a Tesco 36DB aerial , and an ordinary 'oneforall '' aerial , but no luck

Is it Saorview approved?

Be careful of the terminology. FreeSat uses a satellite dish and is available all over the country. FreeView is the UK terrestrial system using an ordinary aerial and only available near the border or parts of the East coast. Both are legal to watch her.

If you are using a FreeSat branded box the region you get is set by whatever UK postcode you enter during set-up, the channels are then in a fixed order with a 7 day EPG. An NI postcode will give you NI channels, London postcode will give London etc. FreeSat will NOT give you Irish channels.
    FTA satellite boxes allow you to re-arrange the channels to taste but do not automatically update tuning should a channel change transponder. This is fairly rare and easy to manually retune. Basic FTA boxes only have now/next EPG data.
    If you opt for a combo box, you can mix FTA satellite and Saorview(terrestrial) in one list with a 7 day EPG for both on the more advanced boxes such as the Amiko Alien 2.

Why are you so surprised? Indoor aerials only work for 5% of cases, you are one of the 95%.
    There are no 36dB aerials, the best outdoor ones manage 18 dB at one part of the band. That Tesco aerial is 0dB with a 36dB amplifier which only amplify all the nois
    You've got a nice new TV. Do it a favour and get a decent roof aerial for it as the broadcasters intend.e.

• Advertisement

As explained above it will not get the Freeview channels, it gets the freesat channels.

Not all Freeview channels are on freesat and vice versa.

Again as explained above it will get any region depending on the postcode you choose to enter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭dimsumss

did you look in attic or roof for anthenna

any uhf/vhf anthenna will do try outdoor one electrical wholesalers should have them cheap

Thurston? wrote: »
    The standard definition version of E4 is free-to-air (FTA) on satellite, along with Channel 4, More 4, Film 4, & 4 Seven SD. You don't need to pay Sky to view these, although obviously you need a suitable receiver & dish. Channel 4 HD is also FTA.

E4 HD, Film 4 HD, & More 4 HD are subscription-only.

I use my Skybox as a freesat box, I only get BBC1-4, Film4, Pick,some cartoon channels and horror/movies for men. No Channel 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

channel 4 should work or it had moved frequency,my cousin in skerries picks up bbc and itv on saorview scan and others when i scanned and was on a ferguson arriva combo

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Is it Saorview approved?

The shop sales-person said it was Saorview approved

This is it here :
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/led-tvs/lg-39-led-tv-42lb580v.html

• Advertisement

I use my Skybox as a freesat box, I only get BBC1-4, Film4, Pick,some cartoon channels and horror/movies for men. No Channel 4

The version of Channel 4 on the Irish Sky EPG is encrypted. You'll need to tune it in 'other channels' or get the UK EPG on the box.

This is it here :
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/led-tvs/lg-39-led-tv-42lb580v.html

Yes, that TV is on the Saorview approved list.

dimsumss wrote: »
    ... any uhf/vhf anthenna will do

Do for what? Saorview is broadcast in the UHF TV band, channels 21 - 60. Not all of the UHF TV aerials available cover the full band either.

This is it here :

Okay, sounds like you may need an outdoor aerial especially if you have already tried an amplified indoor one and aren't picking any signal up.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

I have gotten a decent result from that boosted aerial. In Dublin. Its simply not true that a boosted aerial will wreck a weak TV signal. Someone on this thread needs to go back to engineering school.

• Advertisement

Exactly. A booster is designed to overcome the loss on a long run of cable, nothing more.

What kind of 'booster'? Presumably an actual amplifier, not just the power supply for one?

Ah, I see it's the integrated amplifier in the aerial shown here.

Just today , I got an extended cable and put the indoor aerial outside the window , and got the signal no problem - all channels perfect

So now at least I know that I will easily get Saorview with a proper out-door aerial .

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I would not entirely dismiss the benefits of an amplified indoor aerial. If you are getting a very weak signal, then some amplification is often just what is needed to push it that extra bit in order to get over the threshold so the TV can decode. Unlike the old analog system where you would indeed be just amplifying the noise, Soarview is digital, meaning its a flow of binary ones and zeros. Either sufficient signal is getting to the tuner to be decoded or not, you either get the picture or don't, noise does not factor into it. (Although it can suffer intermittent breakups )

My own experience in downstairs kitchen is that an indoor amplified aerial with adjustable gain works perfectly but only when power is dialled up to the max -amplification works for me!

Soarview is digital, meaning its a flow of binary ones and zeros. Either sufficient signal is getting to the tuner to be decoded or not, you either get the picture or don't, noise does not factor into it.

Ehh, it does. The decoder can only work down to a certain signal-to-noise level, regardless of what kind of information is encoded in the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

yes of course, my point was you don't get a noisy picture like in the old days, you either get a picture or not, so don't be afraid to use amplification if it helps to boost the signal strength, the electronics will take care of noise.

One other thought came into my head - all the external aerials i have seen on sale are highly directional in design, usually with multiple director elements. I wonder if you lived in an area with relatively strong signal strength but cant point directly to the mast, could an omnidirectional antenna possibly perform better, as it could pick up on signal being reflected around the place that the directional one would filter out?

... all the external aerials i have seen on sale are highly directional in design, usually with multiple director elements. I wonder if you lived in an area with relatively strong signal strength but cant point directly to the mast, could an omnidirectional antenna possibly perform better, as it could pick up on signal being reflected around the place that the directional one would filter out?

I'd say most reflections are weak & the best chance would be if there happens to be a nearby structure that's particularly conducive in this respect, & point a directional aerial at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi All,

I recently purchased a house with the following aerial installed on the chimney (pic attached).

Do you know what type of aerial this is and can I use it for getting Saorview? I have a Saorview approved TV.

Thanks

I recently purchased a house with the following aerial installed on the chimney (pic attached).

Do you know what type of aerial this is can I use it for getting Saorview? I have a Saorview approved TV.

Looks like part of an MMDS aerial. No use for Saorview (or anything else, in that state).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MMDS Corner reflector antenna

14mf0ad.jpg

Saorview aerial info - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/step-2-check-aerial/

• Advertisement
Advertisement