Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my employer allowed to do this?

Options
  • 23-01-2015 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I have been working at this company more than 13-14 weeks. (A lot more)

The first 13-14 weeks was to be a temporary contract and since then, there has been no word/sign of a permanent contract even though I have pressed the issue.

The contract is part-time 20-25 hours and I have noticed now that I have been given 15 hours next roster.

What can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Pyrrhic wrote: »

The first 13-14 weeks was to be a temporary contract and since then, there has been no word/sign of a permanent contract even though I have pressed the issue.

The contract is part-time 20-25 hours and I have noticed now that I have been given 15 hours next roster.

What can I do?

Work it or leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Pyrrhic wrote: »

What can I do?

I'd ask for the contract if I were you..

In regards to the hours, my contract used to be 10 hours a week (had college and all) but anyway I was given 5 hours one week and questioned it and was told that once I get an average of 10/week in every given month it was fulfilling my contracted hours.. So like I get 5 hours one week and 15 hours the next sort of thing... This might be the case in your office... Ask a higher up, hopefully they won't mind correcting the issue with you..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

With a part time position you can expect your hours to be cut the there is little work and increased when there is extra work. There is even provisions for employers to decrease full time workers hours when required.

You say you are working 13-14 weeks, realistically you have no rights as an employee until you are working for the one employer in excess of one year.

Maybe grin and bear it and try to find another job. Pushing them on your hours and contract may not be the best thing to do as they might deem you to be a nuisance and terminate your employment.

Advertisement