Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance Question

Options
  • 23-01-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Is it possible to take out a house insurance policy on a house that you don't own?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

TheBody wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Is it possible to take out a house insurance policy on a house that you don't own?

For (your) Contents cover, yes you can. For the structure, no, unless you have a financial interest in the property

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

For (your) Contents cover, yes you can. For the structure, no, unless you have a financial interest in the property

Thank you for the reply. It's the structure I had in mind.

Thank you for the reply. It's the structure I had in mind.

If you own it, have a loan invested in it, been left it in a will etc, you can insure it. The key is 'financial interest'

If you own it, have a loan invested in it, been left it in a will etc, you can insure it. The key is 'financial interest'

I have inherited the house but I have no paperwork to say I officially own it yet. I guess I can call a few brokers on Monday and see what they say.

Thanks for the replies.

I have inherited the house but I have no paperwork to say I officially own it yet. I guess I can call a few brokers on Monday and see what they say.

Thanks for the replies.

When you say you have inherited the house, that is enough for you to insure it. It has become one of your assets. Don't want to pry but I would query the lack of paperwork (legal position)

• Advertisement

When you say you have inherited the house, that is enough for you to insure it. It has become one of your assets. Don't want to pry but I would query the lack of paperwork (legal position)

By lack of paperwork, I mean I am waiting for the solicitor to do her thing to get it in my name. It seems to take a considerable length of time.

By lack of paperwork, I mean I am waiting for the solicitor to do her thing to get it in my name. It seems to take a considerable length of time.

If a solicitor, acting on behalf of the previous owner, has informed you that you are the beneficiary of the property, then you are entitled to rely on that information and have an insurable interest. In other words, if anything happened to the property, you would lose out financially. In my opinion, you have a right to insure it

If a solicitor, acting on behalf of the previous owner, has informed you that you are the beneficiary of the property, then you are entitled to rely on that information and have an insurable interest. In other words, if anything happened to the property, you would lose out financially. In my opinion, you have a right to insure it

This is exactly the case.

Thank you for your help. As I said earlier, I think the best thing to do next is call a few brokers on Monday and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

This is exactly the case.

Thank you for your help. As I said earlier, I think the best thing to do next is call a few brokers on Monday and see what they say.

Theyll say no. Unless the probate is cleared you have no insurable interest and the property should be insured by the estate

Advertisement