Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Permanent Job to one year contract...

Options
  • 23-01-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,774 ✭✭✭✭

As per the title - Am I mad to even consider this?

I am on a decent wage at the minute very secure job in IT sector, have been in place for almost 10 years (I have BSc and a masters - 32 years old), but not much prospect of promotion in the very near future.

RE the possible new job
    I would be on a one year contact initially (as a contractor - working in an area I like that I have worked in previously for 5 years) I worked out I would be roughly 15k better off PA (giving myself 20ish days holidays and bank holidays off).

The possible new employer have indicated there is a high likelihood of a permanent position (with wages still 12k better than I am on now) and I should know around the 10 month mark if I will be kept on.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!!!

Really unsure what to do but that extra money would sure be nice!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Is it 15k before or after tax?

Do you have a mortgage, family to support etc?

It really depends on your commitments and safety net in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

I went from a permanent to a contract role a few years ago. Salary literally was double. I had to go the self employed route but even without paid holidays the gamble was worth it. I was offered a permanent position after about 4 months but went elsewhere after the contract for different reasons.

In my experience if the company says there is opportunity for permanence then that's the truth, unless you mess up.

I would go for it and enjoy the financial rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

gmisk wrote: »
    As per the title - Am I mad to even consider this?

I am on a decent wage at the minute very secure job in IT sector, have been in place for almost 10 years (I have BSc and a masters - 32 years old), but not much prospect of promotion in the very near future.

RE the possible new job
    I would be on a one year contact initially (as a contractor - working in an area I like that I have worked in previously for 5 years) I worked out I would be roughly 15k better off PA (giving myself 20ish days holidays and bank holidays off).

The possible new employer have indicated there is a high likelihood of a permanent position (with wages still 12k better than I am on now) and I should know around the 10 month mark if I will be kept on.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!!!

Really unsure what to do but that extra money would sure be nice!

Lots our work in it, so there is little risk. If your in the same company 10 yeas your more than likely getting paid way under the market rate.
    If you apply for other perm jobs you might even get the same or more.

Also being in IT in a company for 10 years at 32 isn't a great thing for your cv as you would get a lot less exposure than you would by moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,774 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

irishguy wrote: »
    Also being in IT in a company for 10 years at 32 isn't a great thing for your cv as you would get a lot less exposure than you would by moving around.
    well it was 10 years in 3 very different roles (Public Service).

The 15k would be before tax yes.

Tbh looking at some of the IT Manager jobs out there I am really underpaid as it is......

I have no commitments. I have been trying to buy for the last few years but happy to put that on the back burner for a year or two to build up 20% deposit (id say I am at about 15% atm).

All the advice is really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I have no commitments.

At 32 with no commitments, do it! Bank it, and you'll sail into a permanent role later when you need to settle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 jameskflynn

The way things are at the moment I would stick with the permanent job. I know that your sector (IT) is an exception, but there could be more shocks on the way for the global economy.

I know that your sector (IT) is an exception

So, do it. Tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The way things are at the moment I would stick with the permanent job.
    One thing I'm seeing is that there is no longer any "permanent" jobs; it's really just how replaceable are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Public service is as permanent as it gets. Do not forget to take public service pension into account when doing ur sums.

Looks like i wont need 20% deposit......decisions decisions....

• Advertisement

After tax and the pension thing the 15k does shrink rather rapidly...I might bide my time for another permanent job....I have only been doing this type of job for 2 months....I would be going back to doing something I did for 5 years...just for more money

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭griffin100

Can you take a 12 month leave of absence in the part of the PS you are working in (you can where I work)? Might be an option and if it doesn't work out in the contract role you can go back to the PS with a little extra on the cv for when opportunities do arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

griffin100 wrote: »
    Can you take a 12 month leave of absence in the part of the PS you are working in (you can where I work)? Might be an option and if it doesn't work out in the contract role you can go back to the PS with a little extra on the cv for when opportunities do arise.

Don't think you can work while on a career break from the PS as far as I know.

I have just moved into my first job in IT just basically doing a jack of all trades, master of none type of role taking calls, e-mails & alerts, then generally user problems. Dunno what I am trying to say here, I suppose really look at it from where I am your ten years in the sector in 3 roles. If you think you should be on more money then go for it or a job you like the sound of. Public service jobs are gone to **** from what you read, the government can just bring in new rules at the drop of a hat to suit them. Don't bank on pensions or safe jobs anymore, in fact don't bank on anything in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭griffin100

TallGlass wrote: »
    Don't think you can work while on a career break from the PS as far as I know.

I have just moved into my first job in IT just basically doing a jack of all trades, master of none type of role taking calls, e-mails & alerts, then generally user problems. Dunno what I am trying to say here, I suppose really look at it from where I am your ten years in the sector in 3 roles. If you think you should be on more money then go for it or a job you like the sound of. Public service jobs are gone to **** from what you read, the government can just bring in new rules at the drop of a hat to suit them. Don't bank on pensions or safe jobs anymore, in fact don't bank on anything in this day and age.

In the area I'm in we can take up to 5 years of a break and work wherever we want outside of the PS. You are guaranteed your job back if you return within 12 months, but if you leave it longer than that you run the risk of not getting your old role back.

griffin100 wrote: »
    In the area I'm in we can take up to 5 years of a break and work wherever we want outside of the PS. You are guaranteed your job back if you return within 12 months, but if you leave it longer than that you run the risk of not getting your old role back.
    I am the same, but it is at the managers discretion and they wouldn't allow it (as only here under 2 months!) which is fair enough I suppose.
    I turned down the job in the end after a lot of deliberation, feel I made the right choice at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I looked at doing this a few years ago but for me the sums did not add up enuogh to make the gamble worth it.
    As you said, the 15k does dissapear pretty fast when you do a full like for like comparison (including pensions, unpaid vacations, accountancy costs if applicable, replace existing benefits etc).

Key for me was that I just like the security of a permanent position and my health was not the best so unpaid sick leave was way too big a gamble.

Touch decision though. If you are unhappy with your current job then why not bide your time and shop around for a permanent position somewhere else with a proper salary?

I looked at doing this a few years ago but for me the sums did not add up enuogh to make the gamble worth it.
    As you said, the 15k does dissapear pretty fast when you do a full like for like comparison (including pensions, unpaid vacations, accountancy costs if applicable, replace existing benefits etc).

Key for me was that I just like the security of a permanent position and my health was not the best so unpaid sick leave was way too big a gamble.

Touch decision though. If you are unhappy with your current job then why not bide your time and shop around for a permanent position somewhere else with a proper salary?
    I worked it out and I would be about 8/9k better off per year (when I took into account pension, taxes etc) but the risk of no job in 12 months!, not worth it for me at this point.

I am also doing something totally different in this job (getting buckets of training) which will look better on my CV I think, as opposed to going back to doing something I have already done for about 5 years previously.
    So I will bide my time for the right permanent job in the next 6-12 months I hope!

Thanks for all the advice it really helped me figure things out!

Ithe risk of no job in 12 months!, not worth it for me at this point.

If not at this point, when the market is improving and you have no ties or responsibilities, then you're saying you'll never do it.

If not at this point, when the market is improving and you have no ties or responsibilities, then you're saying you'll never do it.
    Not at all...
    As I said
    So I will bide my time for the right permanent job in the next 6-12 months I hope!
    I will still keep looking as I have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

working in an area I like that I have worked in previously for 5 years
    Toss the rose tinted glasses off, and answer me this; would you do the same work for the same pay?

Because extra money for something you don't like becomes just something you don't like fairly quickly, and the extra money doesn't make it any rosier.

As you've said, the current job looks nicer on the CV; do you enjoy it more? Or why were/are you looking to move?

• Advertisement
Advertisement