Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROS certificate expired!

Options
  • 23-01-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I really don't understand this ROS site. It's the only site I've ever used that needs a certificate to log in to. Why can't they just do a more simple login system like AIB and other banks have?

Anyway, I went to do my VAT return today only to find out my certificate has expired. I'm pretty sure I did my Jan-Jun return no problem in July so what happened between now and then I don't know, but I got no notifications to warn me or anything, I think today was the last day to do online VAT returns and I couldn't do it because this.

I guess I won't be able to find out what to do until Monday, but has anyone else experienced this and if so, what's the process?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭secman

cormie wrote: »
    I really don't understand this ROS site. It's the only site I've ever used that needs a certificate to log in to. Why can't they just do a more simple login system like AIB and other banks have?

Anyway, I went to do my VAT return today only to find out my certificate has expired. I'm pretty sure I did my Jan-Jun return no problem in July so what happened between now and then I don't know, but I got no notifications to warn me or anything, I think today was the last day to do online VAT returns and I couldn't do it because this.

I guess I won't be able to find out what to do until Monday, but has anyone else experienced this and if so, what's the process?

Any feedback appreciated :)

You may only require to change your log on password, remember something similar happened to me. Check that option

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the input. I think what happened is that I updated the cert via my browser last year and it was saved to my browsing history for some reason and not the C drive. It got wiped from my browsing history and now the cert that's coming up is the one on the C: drive which is an old one. I now have to get my cert revoked and another reissued which will take another few days and more hassle.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind using a certificate system for what I see as a system that needs no more security than a typical banking system, who can use a simple login passcode and password system, from any computer, any browser or any phone as opposed to Revenue's much more limited access system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Its certainly a pain a couple of months ago the computer I use packed in just before the deadline takes so long to sort it out with all the hassle of getting it posted out etc I didn't file until the 30th in the end! I rang them to just to explain just so it was noted.

Yeah, they noted mine too and said it should help me avoid any penalties. I just don't see why such a website needs to use a certificate system instead of just something much easier like the banks/paypal and other higher security systems use, which can be accessed anywhere. What's so special about ROS?

It does seem strange alright presumably there was some internetphobe when it was being introduced who insisted on going to such insane lengths! We must be way more awkward than the banks dammit we don't want any random person to just be able to guess a password!

If someone did some how access it on me it might be embarrassing but I would much rather they got into that than my online banking! You should have the option to use an RSA secure ID instead make life a lot easier when things go wrong with a computer. Surely its about time it migrated to that or some other two step authentication.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's my thinking too, although I don't get what you'd have to be embarrassed about that could be seen on ROS?

Embarrassing password!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Meningate

I got an email to say I should renew my ROS certificate so I went on to the site and tried to sign in. It wouldn't let me, saying there was no certificate on my browser. I have no idea where it could have gone, so i presume I'll have to re apply !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Call them. They'll reissue you a new one. May take a couple of weeks though

Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday. ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Meningate wrote:
    I got an email to say I should renew my ROS certificate so I went on to the site and tried to sign in. It wouldn't let me, saying there was no certificate on my browser. I have no idea where it could have gone, so i presume I'll have to re apply !

Do you have more than one browser as it could be in a different browser.
    The digital cer is stored somewhere on your PC. Ring ros and they might be able to tell you how to import the certificate to your browser. I did this myself last year but can't remember how I did it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Put strong security on the site and people give out, have weaker security and people give out if their account gets hacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

hmmm wrote: »
    They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Put strong security on the site and people give out, have weaker security and people give out if their account gets hacked.

What is so strong about a cert that can be freely moved between PC's?

Thanks Gloomtastic and Sleeper 12. I rang them, very helpful lady told me how to email them and revoke the certificate I couldn't find. ( lost a few other bits on same comp! ). I then had to apply for a new one on line. Then when password arrived by post, went back on line and great I now have a new certificate. ( which I have now saved to three locations!) Then I did my tax return. Another Nightmare, but I got there in the end.

Advertisement