Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picking up Ordinary Level Irish on the day

• 23-01-2015 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi, I posted this in the Leaving Cert forum but I think I might get better answers here:

So Irish has been really stressing me out recently; I moved here when I was 10 and I have a good enough standard with Irish, i.e. I can rote learn very well, but I cannot put a sentence together on the spot at all, and feel that I could do very well in the oral as I can learn things off well enough for it, but I find it to be so time consuming that it's almost detrimental to my other subjects where I feel that I could improve upon them, so what I'm planning to do is continue in the HL class, and just take the ordinary level paper on the day, that way I can get HL vocab for the oral and might pick up some useful phrases etc..

My question is, what are the biggest differences between the two? Are the poems/prose different? And would my oral work cover me for the litir/essay-thing? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Yes, there is a big difference in both courses in that you will be doing a lot of unnecessary extra work in the HL class.
    If you are genuinely planning to take the OL paper, why not move to the OL class and take the pressure off. Even the homework pressure.
    That said, you could wait and see how you get on in the oral and make a decision from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

I don't find the homework overly strenuous and I don't want to move class because there's only two ordinary classes and they would both be full of, 'characters'. My only real concern is not having covered something that might appear on the paper. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

PeterJC! wrote: »
    ... I have a good enough standard with Irish ... but I cannot put a sentence together on the spot at all,
    This is a contradiction, regardless of what level you're at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

I don't find the homework overly strenuous and I don't want to move class because there's only two ordinary classes and they would both be full of, 'characters'. My only real concern is not having covered something that might appear on the paper. Thanks.

You won't have not covered anything but the layout of the papers are slightly different.
    Paper 1
    HL: Listening and one long written piece
    OL: Listening and two short written pieces

Paper 2
    HL: 2 comprehensions, 1 Prós Q, 1 Filíocht Q, 1 Litríocht Breise Q
    OL: 2 comrpehensions, 2 Prós Qs, 2 Filíocht Qs

The OL Prós and Filíocht are the same 5 that HL study - Dís, Géibheann etc.
    The OL written pieces are based on the topics so you're oral work will help.
    For example, last year's blog/paragraph titles were: my favourite country, my friends and I love music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

RealJohn wrote: »
    This is a contradiction, regardless of what level you're at.

Yeah, you're right, I guess I should have said that I can maintain a good (A/B) standard in class but when it comes to actually understanding the question, tying topics into the given topic and reciting paragraphs of Irish, in an exam, that's where I struggle.
    tomissex wrote: »
    You won't have not covered anything but the layout of the papers are slightly different.
    Paper 1
    HL: Listening and one long written piece
    OL: Listening and two short written pieces

Paper 2
    HL: 2 comprehensions, 1 Prós Q, 1 Filíocht Q, 1 Litríocht Breise Q
    OL: 2 comrpehensions, 2 Prós Qs, 2 Filíocht Qs

The OL Prós and Filíocht are the same 5 that HL study - Dís, Géibheann etc.
    The OL written pieces are based on the topics so you're oral work will help.
    For example, last year's blog/paragraph titles were: my favourite country, my friends and I love music

Thank you very much! Do you know how long the written pieces have to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Thank you very much! Do you know how long the written pieces have to be?
    They should be at least half an A4 page each

Advertisement