Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Macbook storage weird problem

• 24-01-2015 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hi. So I've done something to my (relatively new) Macbook Air this evening.

I was down to about 70 GB available so was clearing out some movies and pictures I didn't want. I was emptying Trash and at the same time I emptied the iPhoto trash and it seems something went wrong there. There was a folder left in the normal Trash called iPhoto and it had about 30 GB of videos in it. Tried to empty trash again, got the "cannot be deleted.. in use" message. Closed all apps, tried again, same thing. Did a limited bit of googling and decided to try Empty Trash Securely. This took forever to do, over an hour easily.

So anyway my issue now is that my Macbook is displaying that I have more storage available than the actual capacity, the laptop is 250GB and apparently I now have 257 GB available... :confused:

WTF am I after doing and how do I fix it? :(

My last backup is the 11th Jan if necessary.

Storage.png

Not sure if any more info is needed but let me know if so.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Maybe a simple one: did you try restarting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Ya I restarted it and it ended up increasing the figure again.

Storage3.png

But when I go for a system report I get this

Storage2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

go to disk utility, verify disk and repair disk.

You were right

VerifyDisk.png

Storage4.png

This seems to be a Time Machine snapshots issue from what I've been reading, but honestly, I haven't a notion what that really means :pac:

I'm a bit nervous doing a disk repair, my knowledge of these things is near non existent so I have a fear of doing more damage! Here goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

How did that work out? Any update?

• Advertisement

Yes sorry for the delay! I also tried reindexing in Spotlight.

Bad pic from my phone after repair

804f4d7e-18bf-4d05-8c27-82ed7b43e48c.jpg

Currently

Strage6-1.png

The About This Mac tally doesn't add up properly either so there's still something amiss. Wonder if I should try turn off Time Machine? I've seen that mentioned elsewhere but some people caution on it.

I'm assuming the figure of 82.38 is what I take as the correct amount?

Also, I might have missed a folder but wanted to give a quick check of these, they add up to ~150GB.

Storage7.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Did you repair the the permissions from start up holding cmd + R to get to it and do it from there.

I repaired the disk that way but not the disk permissions. I'll try that this evening so, cheers.

Advertisement