Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB choice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

The extra 300 bobs on the canyon is worth it for the fork alone,but it isn't as if the rockshox is a total POS either. You're also getting a slightly better group set.

I'd be slow on the trance 4 compared to the Canyon,the suntours get good reviews,but you may be buggered when it comes to servicing it,though i've no experience with it.

Look at the lapierre zesty too,not sure on the price,but I remember drooling over one at ballyhoura 2 weeks ago,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Is that personal brand choice on the fork or is it actually better? I've read there seems to be a bit of either or when it comes to fox v roskshox. I'm not to up on the groupsets when it comes to mtb and I don't see myself breaking any records. I plan to use it for a bit of weekend fun and nothing competitive. I'll probably enter the bike blitz events if it arrives on time I'll definitely be doing the nire valley drop. I'm just thinking budget wise I have the bike to work at the higher discount so I don't mind throwing in a bit extra on top of the €300-400 I'll be adding anyway.

Zesty would be out of budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Is that personal brand choice on the fork or is it actually better?

Bit of both really,it isn't like you're going to be cursing the Rockshox saying it is rubbish,because it is still a good fork,but I'd find it really easy to justify to myself spending 300 quid for the fox. I've only ever had one bike with a fox,it was a specialized enduro,but I loved it. The rest have been rockshox and bar the very bottom of the line pogo stick fork that was on my 1st mtb haven't given me any trouble.

Loads of youtube videos of servicing tutorials for both brands,and have a look at the price and availability for seals and oil. MTBs can also be a pig on bearings this time of year with the grit suspended in water,so try and find out the type of bearings in the pivots,bottom brackets and wheels,and see are they the type you can get over the counter for a tenner each from the agri supplies place,or are you going to have to get them direct from the manufacturer for 35 quid each.

Mind out for looking on forums and seeing a load of threads saying "my fox/rockshox is buggered" People tend not to put up threads saying "I'm so happy my fox/rockshox is trouble free" because you take it for granted,it isn't like they are riddled with faults.

Looking back it could have been the different type of bike the enduro was compared to the XC type bikes I usually go for that made the fork feel good.

You've got me looking at them canyons now. Should have left the internet alone this morning :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thanks for all the info man. :)

I think Canyon make a lot if not all of their components non standard so you have to go back to them for parts. If I go with them I'll be ordering a spare rear hanger as you get a discount when ordered with the bike.

I've no bother servicing the road bike but I'd imagine it's a steep learning curve for mtb servicing

Have a look at their outlet shop there's some bargains but none in my size and I think most in my budget are DH/29er/hard tail.

Advertisement