Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact of present US$ v's EUR rate on visitors to US

Options
  • 24-01-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

With commercial FX rates hitting 1.11 US to EUR on Friday, this equates to a bank teller/credit card rate of approx. 1.085 for transactions on this weekend/Monday.
    So effectively a good/service priced at USD10 plus tax now costs EUR10. In reality for normal customers, shop price windows are now at parity. Fantastic for visitors from US to Ireland, or for Irish exporters, but I wonder will this have a negative impact of visitors considering going to US from Europe? Effectively, prices of hotels, car rental, food has risen by 20% since last summer (I got US$50 last summer at 1.37). With the US domestic economy so big, I wonder will those in the hotel industry etc. feel the need to adjust packages to attract visitors from Europe. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Well, I'm heading to NYC and the exchange rate is making things so much dearer. The hotels were expensive enough as is and adding another hundred or two thanks to the currency drop wasn't something I'd planned for.

Re US hotel pricing, I'd say it depends where you're going. The big tourist draws like NYC, San Francisco etc I can't see the prices dropping much. Definitely not this year anyway. They won't do anything unless they stop filling rooms and I don't think that's too much of a problem in the more popular cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The reality is that most hotels are filled with domestic tourists, with non americans being in the minority. European visitors are 3rd in the amounts that come every year, and not all of them would be from Eurozone countries - (UK, Swiss, Swedish etc)

The other side of it is, domestic tourism here is huge - the bread and butter of the tourist industry here is domestic, so there is no need for the industry to lower prices for european visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We've had 10+ years of the US Dollar being in the toilet so its nice to see an adjustment.

I was getting tired of coming back to Ireland and finding everything exorbitantly expensive its about time there was a more realistic level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The reality is that most hotels are filled with domestic tourists, with non americans being in the minority. European visitors are 3rd in the amounts that come every year, and not all of them would be from Eurozone countries - (UK, Swiss, Swedish etc)

The other side of it is, domestic tourism here is huge - the bread and butter of the tourist industry here is domestic, so there is no need for the industry to lower prices for european visitors

I'd agree with that. Domestic tourism, business travelers, as well as non EU visitors accounts for a lot more bookings than Euro zone tourists do. We are not as important to their bottom line as we like to think. That being said, a loss of business is still a loss of business. If for arguments sake, we account for 20% of bookings, that a big enough dent in corporate pockets for companies to sit up and pay attention.

The likes of the Holiday Inn at Fishermans Wharf or the Times Sq will be fine. But there are some places that do get a high number of European visitors. The outlet malls in New Jersey attract a lot of European visitors & Miami that gets a lot of Eurotrash visitors in the winter? If they see a substantial drop in profits, it may motivate them to lower their own rates, as well as get the chambers of commerce and what not to do something, or put pressure on hotels to lower rates, offer deals etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Really bad timing for me as I am trying to expatriate a pension in the region of $20k.

Sigh. Lost $1500 in about 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Really a kick in the balls for me. Heading to Vegas on June with €2500. Losing 300 dollars now compared to if buying in November. I have half my budget already. Is it wise to change now? As everywhere I look, people say the euro could be level with te dollar soon and it certainly won't get any better than t is now by june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Really a kick in the balls for me. Heading to Vegas on June with €2500. Losing 300 dollars now compared to if buying in November. I have half my budget already. Is it wise to change now? As everywhere I look, people say the euro could be level with te dollar soon and it certainly won't get any better than t is now by june

I would, I'm going on a j1 in the summer, I'm transferring it to my US bank account as quick as I get it.

It's only going to get worse once QE kicks in in the Eurozone, the dollar is becoming stronger and stronger. They predict in 3 or 4 months it could be on parity with the dollar.

if the rate is 1.14 then why is the post office selling at 1.0899?

:S where do i go to get non rip off actual rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

They need to make money somehow... it's a service... you pay to use it. Like everything else.

boreder wrote: »
    They need to make money somehow... it's a service... you pay to use it. Like everything else.

so their 0% commission thing is aload of bollocks then. theyre making a 90 dollar profit off of me. anywhere offering even slightly better rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

If the rate is 1.14 at the moment but was 1.12 yesterday, giving a sell rate of 1.0899, then the rates on the post office website won't be updated until the morning and if the rate is 1.14 tonight they should be selling at about 1.11 tomorrow. The 1.14 is bank rate, not commercial, and won't be passed on to you by any bank/currency exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

so their 0% commission thing is aload of bollocks then. theyre making a 90 dollar profit off of me. anywhere offering even slightly better rates?

Exchange rates are all smoke and mirrors when it comes to getting the best deals. The places that have the best pound for pound rates, usually have add on fees like commissions and service fees and whatnot. The places that have no add on fees, usually offer crap pound for pound rates. The only thing a savvy shopper can do is pay attention to both and then see who offers the best deal over all. Don't be taken in by just one aspect of their offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm no expert. But the increased US oil drilling has been a shot in the arm for the economy. Everyone seems happy with the low petrol prices. And its fcking with Russia. All wins.

So I dont see anything changing soon to drop the level of the $.

And now look at Greece threatening to leave the euro and not pay its debts. I wouldnt have thought thats going to do the euro any good.

just a kick in the balls with this sudden euro rate drop. i wasnt aware of us not getting the full rate you see on XE.com or whatever either so you can imagine how frustrating it is.

ive a 1000 euro now and will be planning on changing 2500. do you think i should change the 1000 now seeing as there is not much hope of a rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I move to New York in April when it was $1.40 for a euro. I finally got a job and a visa sorted and started work in October, making that sweet sweet dollar! Looking forward to going home in April, should be fun!

if anyone has dollars theyre looking to get rid off at the proper rates then send me a message. lets cut out the middle man in it!

euro - 1.14. dollar - .88

I move to New York in April when it was $1.40 for a euro. I finally got a job and a visa sorted and started work in October, making that sweet sweet dollar! Looking forward to going home in April, should be fun!

at least theirs SOME irish people benefiting from this lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you know anyone with a student account. Get them to buy fx for you. Aib or BOI don't charge commission when you buy fx when you have a student with them

hfallada wrote: »
    If you know anyone with a student account. Get them to buy fx for you. Aib or BOI don't charge commission when you buy fx when you have a student with them

im not sure if i do. not anyone close anyways. ill remember that. thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

if anyone has dollars theyre looking to get rid off at the proper rates then send me a message. lets cut out the middle man in it!

euro - 1.24. dollar - .88

They'd make more at a bank, that'd only benefit you :P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

just a kick in the balls with this sudden euro rate drop. i wasnt aware of us not getting the full rate you see on XE.com or whatever either so you can imagine how frustrating it is.

ive a 1000 euro now and will be planning on changing 2500. do you think i should change the 1000 now seeing as there is not much hope of a rise?

Changing that much cash is a security risk both between now and your trip, and during your travels imo.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    They'd make more at a bank, that'd only benefit you :P.

How? They won't be getting .88 at a bank. It would be taking out the 3rd party fees for both of us. As far as I'm aware anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

How? They won't be getting .88 at a bank. It would be taking out the 3rd party fees for both of us. As far as I'm aware anyway

The inverse of 0.88 is about 1.14 not 1.24.

If you want to cut out the middleman use currency fair, they offer the closest you'll get to the going rate by offering a peer to peer exchange exactly like you're trying to set up.

spideog7 wrote: »

If you want to cut out the middleman use currency fair, they offer the closest you'll get to the going rate by offering a peer to peer exchange exactly like you're trying to set up.

Oh I see. New to this currency stuff so I didnt realise

spideog7 wrote: »

i was supposed to say originally 1.14, not 1.24...how i didnt notice that, i do not know :rolleyes:

ill change it. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

hope it changes by end of april start of may as am planning a little trip across
    no point changing euro to dollars now as i did that before and then the euro got stronger again before i went
    all u can do is wait and hope euro gets stronger

hope it changes by end of april start of may as am planning a little trip across
    no point changing euro to dollars now as i did that before and then the euro got stronger again before i went

yeah but many peoples opinions is that it is at high risk of dropping further :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Of course this prediction is already out of date, but might provide some guidance: http://www.fxcentre.com/monthly/201501_ExchangeRateMonthly.pdf

changed 1150 euro and got 1250 dollars back. crap but its got to do. will change around the same amount in june before i set off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It could be great for me. I've been saving like a mad yoke since I got here. I'd love to buy a home in the next 2-3 years. If it keeps up, Ireland might actually be affordable for me!

Advertisement