Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A bit of help needed please - going solo

• 24-01-2015 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Looking for some advice, thought this might be the best place to seek it ;)

I am not starting college until September and have some free time until then, and I was considering traveling. I have never travelled by myself before, and given the personality I have (extremely anxious) I was hoping this would help my confidence and help me find myself a bit - bit of a cliche. On the other hand, it could go horribly wrong and I don't even make it to the airport:o

Anyway, experiencing American culture is something I always wanted to try, and now that I have the time and I am of the age (28) why not, right? But my anxiety has always prevented me from doing it, so this time I am going to go with it and see how far I can get. This would be a massive jump for me, but I am doing myself any good in the position I am and would love a change of scenery. So, with all that in mind, what cities/towns in America would you recommend for a guy in a position like myself?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice you may have on the matter :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Just to note that if your anxiety is really bad would you consider doing some travelling closer to home first? That way you could identify trigger points that stress you and plan for them with a bit of a safety net.

I spent a week in the west of Ireland 2 years ago as a tourist and it was fantastic; drove around, stayed in hostels and cheap hotels, did all the touristy stuff.

If you're already comfortable with travelling in Ireland on your own then I'd suggest the UK or Europe for a weekend break on your own to see how you cope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If your anxiety is very bad, I think I agree with Meathlass, maybe try something less ambitious first.
    How about a short guided tour in Europe? They always have some free time but are structured enough for the main things. I would build up to heading off to the States, but when there, I would recommend Seattle as a fairly laid back, friendly kind of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Don't want to put you off your dream, but I think I agree with the previous posters.

Europe would seem much more logical. Also, I think you will definitely experience a better experience with regards different cultures and the like. The USA is a new country, so while it does have Amazing scenery and brilliant cities, I think Europe may be better. Something like inter railing.

Is part of your decision based on the language? As in, everyone speaks english in amaerica and this will make things a hell of a lot easier? True, it will..but I think you might get more out of a trip to Europe. But hey, that's just a personal opinion. Ive been to the states 3 times and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been to europe a few more times, and I preferred it.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

I'd say go for it, have a great trip and report back to us on how it went! :)

Would you consider joining a tour first? take a look at Intrepid & G-adventures - they organise group tours to the US. You could join a tour for a few weeks and then do some travelling on your own for awhile.

I was quite similar to yourself last year in that I had some free time coming up and was considering travelling. I was also a bit nervous / anxious / and iffy about travelling by myself so I joined a similar tour in Asia (which was completely outside my comfort zone) and had an amazing time! Towards the end of the trip I felt I had enough confidence to go travelling on my own. This is why I think you should consider joining a tour first for a few weeks which will help you ease into it! Go for it! You'll regret it if you don't! You show that anxiety who's boss :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

I had a think about it, and America is a bit unrealistic to be honest. My anxiety is crippling at times. Starting within Ireland for a weekend might not be a bad shout, then maybe move on to a European city during the summer. I always wanted to visit places like Switzerland, Sweden, Norway. Even going there on my own seems daunting right now.

I haven't been away for years, and I just fancied a change of scenery. Somewhere with a bit of sun would be have been nice.

I like the idea of a guided tour. It would help put myself at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Just had a look at Intrepid there - looks amazing! I might try build up to one of the tours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

This time last year I headed off travelling on my own. I was literally sick with worry before I went.

I started by doing a G Adventures tour in Vietnam and it was absolutely fantastic. The group on the tour had an average of around 55, but they couldn't have been nicer. The couples on the tour really reached out the singletons like myself and made us feel part of the group. (I'm even going over to England to meet up with some of them in March).

I would definitely recommend going on a tour as I found on the rest of my trip when staying in hostels or doing day tours I really had to go outside my comfort zone to interact with others and at times I wouldn't be that bothered to make the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 basbas

I think everyone has some worries before they travel on their own, I am a pretty confident person I booked everything with no worries but still the night before I left I felt sick to my stomach. A few days later couldn't believe I was worried about nothing. In my opinion you wont know until you try it :)

However if your are an anxious person and the US might be too much of a stretch there are plenty of amazing vacations to be had in Europe with some beautiful cities, beaches and lots more all within a couple of hours from each other. Croatia was a personal favorite.

Advertisement