Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enjoy it while it lasts

• 24-01-2015 12:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This was posted on my facebook today :(

336224.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

😢

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yeah there will be last times but as they grow up there will be plenty of new things and new experiences to enjoy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Very true!

You don't know when it is the last time at that time until the time has passed which is quite hard!

Although knowing when it is the last time can be just as hard. We think that Christmas just past will be the last one where he believes in Santa. We had to try make the most of it while we could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Oh stop!!!!! :(:( I just cried a little :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Oh feck :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Oh feck :(

U cried?? Xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Why do I read Boards while I chop onions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Now and again I have elderly people approach me, and make some friendly comment on the kids, and then follow it up with "I have three of my own, they are all in Australia", or something like that. You can see they are hurting, the reason they approach us is probably because they have their own grandkids and they want to be around them and aren't. I know mine might all leave some day, I hope they don't.

On this subject, the Irish Times is running a thing called generation emigration' at the moment where they feature Irish people far and wide. I have no real interest in how some random thirty year old is getting on in Montreal or Dubai. I think there is another side to the story though, which is of Irish towns, particularly rural ones that have heaps of grandparents that never see their kids or grandkids. Its a feature of this country. I think their story is under-reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I don't even have kids and that bought a little tear to my eye...I want to go and hug my Mum now haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Oh god, tears! Hubby too, want to go up and pick baba up and never let him go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The poem Subh Milis expresses this even better, I think. Brings a tear to my eye, it does.

Bhí subh mhilis
    Ar bhaschrann an dorais
    Ach mhúch mé an corraí
    Ionam a d'éirigh,Mar smaoinigh mé ar an lá
    A bheas an bhaschrann glan,
    Agus an lámh bheag
    Ar iarraidh.

There was jam
    On the doorhandle
    But I suppressed the anger
    That rose up in me,
    Because I thought of the day
    That the doorhandle would be clean
    And the little hand
    Would be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

couldn't stop thinking about this thread last night, would love a cuddle now from my little man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That's a bit ott, after my mum was diagnosed with cancer I started kissing her on the cheek to greet her again, after 27 years

efb wrote: »
    That's a bit ott, after my mum was diagnosed with cancer I started kissing her on the cheek to greet her again, after 27 years

I think you are missing the point... It's about missing the tiny things when the tiny things have grown up, I hope I will at least get a kiss on the cheek no matter what age he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Rose35 wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point... It's about missing the tiny things when the tiny things have grown up, I hope I will at least get a kiss on the cheek no matter what age he is
    Ha! No one gets a kiss from my 10 year old son! Not me, not even his 90 year old great-granny on her birthday!! He does give me hugs though - he actually hopped into the bed this morning to "give mam her daily hug"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Why wallow in what you miss? These things will always be transient and when they stop doing them it means they kept moving forward in their development. I'd rather be celebrating than bemoaning it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why wallow in what you miss? These things will always be transient and when they stop doing them it means they kept moving forward in their development. I'd rather be celebrating than bemoaning it.

Noone is bemoaning it or wallowing but you can move forward while still missing the little things.

Like my little fellah used to fall asleep on my legs every night while I sang to him. Now he is too big and sits beside me instead.

Jeez, some people are waaaay overthinking this. If some parents get a bit nostalgic or miss a few things from their kid's early days... Seriously... What's wrong with that!

And for those who don't miss a thing about their baby's early days when they are older. Great. That's your prerogative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I cant f***ing wait for the last time she wakes at night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....lellow...

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Noone is bemoaning it but you can move forward while still missing the little things

It's a probably an over-proliferation of this sort of stuff on the likes of facebook that has probably hardened my heart some what to this type of sentimental prose - one particularly great one I saw was a facebook post about how tough mothers are and how much love they give their children and what they sacrifice with a picture of Casey Anthony over it.

Honestly, it was great to experience it with my kids but do I miss it? I can't say I do and the best thing about babies now is that I get to hand them back to their parents.

BEMOANING IT!!!!!! You are the only one moaning as far as I can see!!!
    Totally missing the point you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Era I get where they are coming from. When I saw that first I thought it was about children who had died... and it was both horribly morbid and insensitive. but then, I guess that was just my own experience colouring how I read it.

But if it's about children who are still alive and happily growing up... I dunno. It does look a bit whingy about perfect healthy children doing well. All about perspective maybe.

Calm down on the caps lock there, love. I'm not missing the point of it. I've read the whole thing and understood it but I don't agree with the sentiment. I don't miss the things they no longer do because I'm more excited about what they are doing now and what they'll achieve in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jaysus. I never thought it would start an argument :confused:

I've posted a couple things before and they've always ended up in an argument on boards. Lol. Even the smallest things you wouldn't expect to....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭skallywag

I'm close to slapping my head off the keyboard here myself with the way this thread seems to have veered off. I mean God forbid that a parent may show a loving sentimentality towards a child

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Well I thought it was lovely.

skallywag wrote: »
    I mean God forbid that a parent may show a loving sentimentality towards a child

And God forbid someone having a differing opinion on a piece of prose. Vive la différence; One man's trash is another man's treasure and all the other clichés…

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »
    I'm close to slapping my head off the keyboard here myself with the way this thread seems to have veered off. I mean God forbid that a parent may show a loving sentimentality towards a child

Exactly I agree totally.

Advertisement