If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subwoofer set up confusion

Options
  • 24-01-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

Hope it is ok to ask some advice on cross over levels as the internet has me confused.

Should the crossover on my sub (Tannoy) be set at the max and on the receiver (Denon) should I accept the audessy settings or set at 80 hz?

Thanks,
    jh79

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

jh79 wrote: »
    Hi  ,

Hope it is ok to ask some advice on cross over levels as the internet has me confused.

Should the crossover on my sub (Tannoy) be set at the max and on the receiver  (Denon) should I accept the audessy settings or set at 80 hz?

Thanks,
    jh79
    Hi Jh79.

Have a little watch over the following video:
    http://lifehacker.com/how-to-properly-set-your-subwoofers-volume-without-sh-1506136549
    There is also a few steps on setting a sub up.

What had the Audessy setting came up with for the subwoofer?

Sometimes its just better to try a few different setups and see which suits you better, some people like a lot of bass and others not so much.

Let me know if this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Hi Jh79.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-properly-set-your-subwoofers-volume-without-sh-1506136549

Sometimes its just better to try a few different setups and see which suits you better, some people like a lot of bass and others not so much.

Audessy has the front to 100hz, center to 60hz and surround to 120hz. The lfe is set to 120hz for bass.

I had the crossover on the sub itself set to the lowest (50hz), should i put this to the highest level?

Hi Jh79.

Audessy has the front to 100hz, center to 60hz and surround to 120hz. The lfe is set to 120hz for bass.

I had the crossover on the sub itself set to the lowest  (50hz), should i put this to the highest level?
    Hi Jh79.

I would not set it to the highest level.

Here are the points listed in the above link:
    1. 1.First, set the crossover. This is the frequency at which your subwoofer starts playing bass notes. You generally want your crossover set to where your speakers start to roll off—for example, my speakers can't go much lower than 80Hz, so my subwoofer's crossover is set to about 80. You can find this in your speaker's specs, or just slowly turn it up until it "rounds out" the sound on your speakers (so that your speakers and subwoofer aren't both playing the same notes).
    2. 2.Next, adjust the gain. This is the important part, and the part that I've done incorrectly oh-so-many times—but it's also the easiest. Start playing a song, and turn the subwoofer down until you can't hear the subwoofer anymore. Then, turn the gain up just enough so you can start to hear it start to fill in the bass. That's all it takes.
    3. 3.Lastly, if you have a phase switch, switch it between 0 and 180 degrees and see if you hear a difference. One may sound better than the other depending on your room and gear but in practice, it's pretty simple: pick whichever one sounds better.
    I would turn the Hz down on the Denon but that's only me. Check the rating of the sats in the manual and try and run the sub around the Hz on these as noted in point one above.

On the rear of the sub, try a few different settings as there is no real right position. Its more setting it up how you want it to sound. start at the lowest point and work upwards until you get the sound/feel that suits.

Hope this help a little further.

Hi Jh79.

1. 1.First, set the crossover. This is the frequency at which your subwoofer starts playing bass notes. You generally want your crossover set to where your speakers start to roll off—for example, my speakers can't go much lower than 80Hz, so my subwoofer's crossover is set to about 80. You can find this in your speaker's specs, or just slowly turn it up until it "rounds out" the sound on your speakers (so that your speakers and subwoofer aren't both playing the same notes).
    2. 2.Next, adjust the gain. This is the important part, and the part that I've done incorrectly oh-so-many times—but it's also the easiest. Start playing a song, and turn the subwoofer down until you can't hear the subwoofer anymore. Then, turn the gain up just enough so you can start to hear it start to fill in the bass. That's all it takes.
    3. 3.Lastly, if you have a phase switch, switch it between 0 and 180 degrees and see if you hear a difference. One may sound better than the other depending on your room and gear but in practice, it's pretty simple: pick whichever one sounds better.
    I would turn the Hz down on the Denon but that's only me. Check the rating of the sats in the manual and try and run the sub around the Hz on these as noted in point one above.

On the rear of the sub, try a few different settings as there is no real right position. Its more setting it up how you want it to sound. start at the lowest point and work upwards until you get the sound/feel that suits.

Thanks for your help, what had me confused was a website that mentioned cascading and that the crossover on the sub needed to be disabled to allow the receiver to manage it.

The tannoy speakers have a range of 140 to 78hz and a crossover of 140hz to the sub. So anything between these figures is ok?

• Advertisement

Hi Jh79.

• 1.First, set the crossover. This is the frequency at which your subwoofer starts playing bass notes. You generally want your crossover set to where your speakers start to roll off—for example, my speakers can't go much lower than 80Hz, so my subwoofer's crossover is set to about 80. You can find this in your speaker's specs, or just slowly turn it up until it "rounds out" the sound on your speakers (so that your speakers and subwoofer aren't both playing the same notes).
    • 2.Next, adjust the gain. This is the important part, and the part that I've done incorrectly oh-so-many times—but it's also the easiest. Start playing a song, and turn the subwoofer down until you can't hear the subwoofer anymore. Then, turn the gain up just enough so you can start to hear it start to fill in the bass. That's all it takes.
    • 3.Lastly, if you have a phase switch, switch it between 0 and 180 degrees and see if you hear a difference. One may sound better than the other depending on your room and gear but in practice, it's pretty simple: pick whichever one sounds better.

[*]

[*]

Thanks for your help, what had me confused was a website that mentioned cascading and that the crossover on the sub needed to be disabled to allow the receiver to manage it.
    [*]
    Hi Jh79.

No problem at all.

Hopefully you get the sound for the sub sorted and you can sit back a enjoy your system.

The tannoy speakers have a range of 140 to 78hz and a crossover of 140hz to the sub. So anything between these figures is ok?

Last question , I swear, based on these figures would 80hz work best?

Last question , I swear, based on these figures would 80hz work best?
    Hi Jh79.

In theory around the 80Hz should do it.

However I would taken 10 minutes and play around with the settings to get the sound which best suits your ear.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.