Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof jackets and moisture in arms

Options
  • 24-01-2015 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still learning about the proper gear needed, and have an issue with waterproof jackets.

I'm climbing Kilimanjaro next month and have been doing plenty of hiking lately. To begin with I had been using a jacket I had from work, a Regatta coat with fleece lining. Brilliantly warm and stood up well under some snow and light rain I encountered. For my trip I just bought another Regatta jacket, a Point 214, supposedly waterproof with a detachable fleece. Wore it on a night hike last night, no heavy rain just some light spray at times.

The issue I'm having is that at the end of the hike, there seems to be a lot of water/moisture built up inside the arms of the coat. I took the jacket off, detached the fleece and turned the arm inside out and the jacket was dripping with water. The work jacket had done the same thing, even after dry hikes the inner arm was wet afterwards.

Is this a common issue with these types of jackets, or do I just have crappy coats that need replaced?

Comments

I don't use jackets with linings myself, prefer the layer over layer and thin waterproof shell stuff myself.

Would be a bit suss about Regatta. Presume it'd be fine in Kilimanjaro, but wouldnt do a wet weekend in the Reeks in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tommba

If your inner jacket is wet even after dry hikes, then it's probably just a sweating issue.

The problem with most jackets is, the better they keep out the rain, the better they keep in the sweat. So if you're sweating inside a rain jacket that's not very breathable, then it's going to keep in the moisture and get wet. You basically just need to manage your heat better, you shouldn't really be wearing a waterproof jacket if it isn't raining for example.

When you feel yourself starting to sweat, you need to start taking off layers, or ventilating by opening your main zipper (heat travels up so ventilating at the neck is most ideal, if you buy a rimmed hat you can ventilate while its raining and the rim will keep out alot of the rain). Some jackets also have underarm zips for added ventilation.

Basically with jackets you have waterproof ability and also breathability. Waterproofed jackets will keep out rain etc, jackets with good breathability will allow heat from your body to travel through it, reducing how much you sweat. With jackets it really is you get what you pay for. Alot of low end jackets will be good in one or the other, but if you want a jacket that is extremely waterproof, but also has decent breathability, then you're looking at hundreds of euros. So unless you're willing to spend that amount, you just need to learn to balance your layers to stop yourself from sweating too much, while still keeping out the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I find I sweat a lot too and find it uncomfortable. Lots of layers is a good solution. Heavy jackets will make you sweat and are bulky to carry. You are better off with a lightweight waterproof jacket. I normally prefer to wear a gilet/body warmer under the jacket. That way your arms are never too warm and your arms are more free to move. A compression top and a tech top will then keep you warm and also wick away any sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm no expert on the dynamics of sweating of course, but its hard to picture sweat being the cause of this issue, especially during what to me is a low intensity exercise like hiking.

On my hike I had a merino base layer, a short sleeve polo shirt and a light soft shell fleece, then the jacket with the attached fleece. So are you saying that the sweat has come from my arms, through all the inner layers and then formed as water droplets inside the sleeves of the coat? Why then are all the inner layers dry, and why only the arms and not also the body of the jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I'm no expert on the dynamics of sweating of course, but its hard to picture sweat being the cause of this issue, especially during what to me is a low intensity exercise like hiking.

On my hike I had a merino base layer, a short sleeve polo shirt and a light soft shell fleece, then the jacket with the attached fleece. So are you saying that the sweat has come from my arms, through all the inner layers and then formed as water droplets inside the sleeves of the coat? Why then are all the inner layers dry, and why only the arms and not also the body of the jacket?

I think Tommba is right. Arms tend to get quite sweaty and the base layer and fleeces with "wick" the moisture out towards the jacket where you'll get condensation.

My advice is to get rid of the jacket with the fleece and get a shell jacket and only put it on when you actually need it. Especially avoid it when climbing.

Look for something with Gore-tex. You'd be looking at around €250+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

one with pit zips could help aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You'd be surprised - I use a heart rate monitor occasionally and can work up a good rate hiking, particularly when moving uphill.
    Why then are all the inner layers dry, and why only the arms and not also the body of the jacket?
    I'm no expert, but some materials are very good at wicking sweat outwards from your body e.g. your Merino wool baselayer would certainly pull sweat outwards. Perhaps the fleece are also doing their job, and evaporation is being stopped by a poorly wicking rainjacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You'ld be amazed how much you sweat, even while sleeping.

Are the cuffs open to let air/steam out?
    Were you wearing the raincoat when it wasn't raining?

Was it cold enough to wear 5 layers? counting the coats fleece and the coat as 2 layers?
    What do you put on when you stop and take a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You'ld be amazed how much you sweat, even while sleeping.

Are the cuffs open to let air/steam out?
    Were you wearing the raincoat when it wasn't raining?

Was it cold enough to wear 5 layers? counting the coats fleece and the coat as 2 layers?
    What do you put on when you stop and take a break?

The cuffs were velcro straps, not closed but not hanging loose either.

It was cold enough, a night hike with heavy fog and then lots of very heavy wind. One of those nights where it didn't lash rain, but was always threatening rain with light spray coming down periodically. We didn't stop really, up and down the climb in about 2.5 hours.

My concern is that I go and buy one of the top of the line jackets but still have the same issue. I'll be out again this weekend, so will have to try a different loadout. I know people are saying not to wear the jacket unless its raining, but this is Ireland in January, rain is never far away so it seemed better just to wear the thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

...rain is never far away so it seemed better just to wear the thing. :)
    It only takes a minute to take a jacket out of a rucksack. But suit yourself! :)

If you have the cuffs loose and pit zips open (assuming you have these), you should have no probs.

• Advertisement

For me, the jacket goes on at the first drop, off the minute it ends. That could mean a few times over the course of any decent 7-8 hour trek, but it's only a waterproof shell anyway so it doesn't take any time at all. Will try and leave it off as long as possible, for me that trumps any discomfort scrambling around peaks and up ridges in some thick jacket.

Sweat can be one issue, but also even if your body is generating heat, when that heat hits the outside layer (Which is cold due to being in contact with the elements) then that heat will turn to moisture inside the jacket.

If you're sweating alot, you'll get wet from your base layer outwards obviously, but with heat it can be the opposite way around, getting wet from the outermost layer. Think about staying in a tent, you can wake up in the morning on a perfectly dry night and the inside of the tent (or sleeping bag) is totally wet, again from the heat given off from your body (and that is lying down asleep, alot more heat is given off when moving).

You really shouldn't be wearing many layers when you're moving, especially with your pack, but when you stop, even if it's just for a few minutes make sure to put something on.

The only way you'll find out what works is to try everything out, because everyone is different in terms of sweating etc.

I was abit too fast in my last post citing sweat as the cause I think. Sweat can be one issue, but also even if your body is generating heat, when that heat hits the outside layer (Which is cold due to being in contact with the elements) then that heat will turn to moisture inside the jacket.

If you're sweating alot, you'll get wet from your base layer outwards obviously, but with heat it can be the opposite way around, getting wet from the outermost layer. Think about staying in a tent, you can wake up in the morning on a perfectly dry night and the inside of the tent (or sleeping bag) is totally wet, again from the heat given off from your body (and that is lying down asleep, alot more heat is given off when moving).

You really shouldn't be wearing many layers when you're moving, especially with your pack, but when you stop, even if it's just for a few minutes make sure to put something on.

The only way you'll find out what works is to try everything out, because everyone is different in terms of sweating etc.

Advertisement