Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Ballymote area

Options
  • 24-01-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi Everyone

Hoping someone can help out. I currently have Eircom home phone and broadband- 1 the service is terrible, the speeds are 1mb at best with a 10gb download cap per month and 2 the customer service is dreadful. Since the bad weather, the lines have been out and an automated service said that there was a fault in the area that'd be fixed in 7 working days. Called up Eircom when there was no sign of it being fixed and was told that there were no registered errors and it'd be another 3-4 working days before it's fixed, which is nuts. Plus haven't even got the phone to call them!!

So I have wanted to change provider for a while but now is the time, can anyone recommend a good provider? Either just broadband or broadband and home phone. Also, it doesn't need to be through the phone line. At the end of the day when you get it through the phone line if it goes it's up to eircom to fix still!!

So if anyone can give me some heads up on some companies they rate/have experience with/who to stay away from that'd be great. The qualities I'm hoping to get from a provider are:

Decent speeds-I understand outside of a built up area I have no hope getting high numbers but a steady 3-7mb I feel is a reasonable ask.

A decent usage allowance, I don't need unlimited but I don't get how these companies can justify not having unlimited. But minimum of 10gb allowance as I at least won't drop down from where i'm at currently.

Again, phone and broadband not a must as we have mobiles...But the option would be nice.
    Price needs to be reasonable, not cost an arm and a leg and no huge set up fees or hidden trap costs. If there is a set up fee I need to know that I will be able to rely on the company.

Good customer service is a must and good reputation for fixing errors fast.

Plus a company with a reputation for having little down time matters.

So basically I am looking for the very basic from a broadband/phone provider- Reliable service, good customer service, decent perks, decent cost.

If anyone can help it'd be great to hear. I am in the countryside between Collooney and Ballmote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

A few things, if you are 3+ miles from your exchange you wont get much better than you have. The first thing is to wait for Eircom to restore the service as you might have to pay later on if you continue with DSL.
    As you have 1MB you are more than likely "Synced" at that speed. When the service is restored you can call Eircom and ask them to test a higher speed but in reality you wont be getting over three as I am out that direction and know this to be true :( . No other DSL service can get you faster then Eircom, Sky will Sync your speed to 10MB and it will fall apart within a day then you will end up with the same speed as Eircom anyway.

You options are basically 3 or Fastcom. So can you see the red lights in Coollaney from the roof of your house, if yes then you could get 10MB plus phone from Fastcom. Dont read all the bad press about them, I had them in for a while and basically only for a small bit of Lag on Xbox live I would be a happy camper. But it was no the case and Fastcom allowed me to break contract with no hassle.
    3 Are very decent if you just want the dongle but you have caps.

Advertisement