Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray - parishes

• 24-01-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭

Is there anyway to find out the parish boundaries in Bray? I've looked online without any luck - we're looking at houses at the moment and I'd like to know what schools are available to what houses etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/

one of the options on this map is Dublin parishes - Bray is in the diocese of Dublin.

I had a quick look and it seems detailed down to street level. Just tick the box for Dublin parishes, zoom onto your possible address in Bray and click - name of parish and boundaries will appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but what have parishes got to do with it? You can send a child to any school regardless of parish. The schools are not run by churches anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but what have parishes got to do with it? You can send a child to any school regardless of parish. The schools are not run by churches anymore.

Not quite right I'm afraid. Most primary schools are under the patronage of either the local Catholic or Church of Ireland bishop. A small but growing number are part of the Educate Together or local Education Authority patronage.
    All schools - irrespective of patronage - are required by law to have an enrolment and admissions policy. It should contain explanations of how and why schools select certain pupils - whether they should or not is a totally different matter. Many C of I schools are obliged to give priority to Protestant pupils, many RC schools must give priority to siblings, parishioners etc. If after all of that they have space in the school then - and only then - will they offer places to other children. In practice most schools in rural areas, small towns etc accept all applicants but in growing and developing areas it is a real issue. I have no idea what the situation is in Bray.

After all of that many 2nd level schools have designated "feeder" primary schools so if you want your child to have a guaranteed place in a certain school (and you're not a past pupil, have other children there etc) you need to enrol him/her in one of those feeder schools and possibly meet other criteria too.

Not an ideal system but it's the one we have at present.

All a bit off topic, so apologies, but have been down the road of kids being in the "wrong" school etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Thanks so much for that lottpaul. I've looked at the websites of a few schools in Bray and the first enrollment criterion is "having a sibling in the school", with the second being "in the parish of x". I'm not sure how heavily subscribed the schools are and if it's an issue but it's useful information to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Peckham

We moved to Bray at the end of last year and deliberately focused our house hunting on an area where our boys (one of whom starts school this September) will be eligible to get into St Patrick's (and in turn feed into St Cronans and Pres).

We got him a place in St. Patrick's, but my niece who is the same age and lives in Bray (but just outside the boundary for that parish) is about 20th on the waiting list. She'll likely get in, but probably won't know until August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Peckham wrote: »
    We moved to Bray at the end of last year

Welcome to Bray, Peckham, can I interest you in Bray Runners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Peckham

Wally Runs wrote:
    Welcome to Bray, Peckham, can I interest you in

I've already been canvassed by other members who are on Boards! Likely joining. Planning on heading to the fit4life event tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Peckham wrote: »
    We moved to Bray at the end of last year and deliberately focused our house hunting on an area where our boys (one of whom starts school this September) will be eligible to get into St Patrick's (and in turn feed into St Cronans and Pres).

We got him a place in St. Patrick's, but my niece who is the same age and lives in Bray (but just outside the boundary for that parish) is about 20th on the waiting list. She'll likely get in, but probably won't know until August.

Thanks Peckham that's good to know. I'm looking in those areas too - we've been living in bray for a good few years but need more space since the arrival of the young fella and suddenly we have a completely different set of house-house-hunting criteria!

Advertisement